Land grab,

The Fish

Calls cost £1.50 per minute and last 8 minutes seems to be the catch. I'm not sure of the legal status of just "claiming" land, if its unregistered it would probably involve a long and expensive search to find out who may have an interest in the property.

Basically what you get from the site is a phone number with an 8 minute long recorded message advising you on how to reclaim abandoned land, not where it is or claiming it for you. Load of shite.

so aside from the information that they try to charge you for the site is useless..

cool beans

So hows about the actual process of claiming land? Are there legal fees and Registration fees that render the activity expensive? I wouldn't have thought it'd be cheap.

so aside from the information that they try to charge you for the site is useless..

cool beans

So hows about the actual process of claiming land? Are there legal fees and Registration fees that render the activity expensive? I wouldn't have thought it'd be cheap.

156425[/snapback]

I've (obviously) not phoned for any of their info, but I'm assuming that it just refers to the move towards registering all land in England and Wales. The law of adverse possession (squatters rights) changed slightly as a result of the legislation referred to which means that it became slightly easier to acquire an interest in land as a result of squatting (or adversely possessing the property as against the legal owner). The relevant time that you have to possess is still a long one though-10 years as opposed to 12 under the old regime.

In essence you have to occupy the property in some way shape or form for 10 years and hope the legal owner is too ignorant/indolent to take action against you. If they dont then (broadly speaking) you could apply to have the land reg'd in your name under a squatters root of title.

Incidentally I'm not a property lawyer.

cheers all.

to be honest it was more a confused curiosity, rather than a sign of intent on my behalf, I figured there wouldn't just be a stack of land waiting to be claimed by any tosspot with an internet connection, but was unsure what claim they were actually making on the site.

Guest CF The Ripper
.. I'm confused.

Clicky

156361[/snapback]

Let me sooth your mind with some relaxing whale music.

Woooo.. woooooo... wooooo... TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.... wiiiiiiiiish wwwwwwwwwishhhhhhhhh wissssshhhhh

cool beans

156425[/snapback]

I've (obviously) not phoned for any of their info, but I'm assuming that it just refers to the move towards registering all land in England and Wales. The law of adverse possession (squatters rights) changed slightly as a result of the legislation referred to which means that it became slightly easier to acquire an interest in land as a result of squatting (or adversely possessing the property as against the legal owner). The relevant time that you have to possess is still a long one though-10 years as opposed to 12 under the old regime.

In essence you have to occupy the property in some way shape or form for 10 years and hope the legal owner is too ignorant/indolent to take action against you. If they dont then (broadly speaking) you could apply to have the land reg'd in your name under a squatters root of title.

156456[/snapback]

a reasonable summary - and don't forget - you can occupy the land for 9 years and 364 days but they can still turn up on the last day and get it back

I believe a lot of unregistered land actually belongs to the "landed arsitocracy" such as the Dook in Alnwick - he just can't be arsed to register it

cool beans

156425[/snapback]

156456[/snapback]

a reasonable summary - and don't forget - you can occupy the land for 9 years and 364 days but they can still turn up on the last day and get it back

I believe a lot of unregistered land actually belongs to the "landed arsitocracy" such as the Dook in Alnwick - he just can't be arsed to register it

156532[/snapback]

You cheeky fuck! ;) I was putting it in laymans terms. I didnt imagine anyone wanted a major treaties on land law. Incidentally, although I'm not a property lawyer I do have some formally recognised qualifications. :first:

It was MEANT to be a compliment you stupid Lancashire idiot!!!!! Talk about a chip on both shoulders! Anyone would think you were a Scouser.....................

It's not an easy area and I thought your summary was exactly what was needed.................

PS I also have a few formal qualifications........................ ;):first::icon_lol:

Edited by Rob W

It was MEANT to be a compliment you stupid Lancashire idiot!!!!!  Talk about a chip on both shoulders!  Anyone would think you were a Scouser.....................

It's not an easy area and I thought your summary was exactly what was needed.................

PS I also have a few formal qualifications........................  B)  :nufc:  :)

156555[/snapback]

;)

Fair do's! :icon_lol:

Anyway ewerk already made the main point, which was that the site is a premium rate con, so job done! :first:

Metalwork O-level? A night class in IT literacy? A Media Studies degree? Do tell!

156560[/snapback]

Cycling proficiency certificate, 3rd Class. So you can wipe that smug look of your face, pretty boy!

I remember reading somewhere that if you die and have noone to leave your property to it goes to the Duchy of Cambridge... or somewhere

I remember reading somewhere that if you die and have noone to leave your property to it goes to the Duchy of Cambridge... or somewhere

156599[/snapback]

Cornwall. Aka Charlie boy. You'd think charity might benefit wouldnt you, but no! (well, worthy charities...you know what I mean)

Here's me, in me dotage, going around trying to spread joy and compliments whereever I go, remembering the Great Dook's last words "if I had my time again I would have given more praise" and all I get.......(moan) (whine)......................