German national anthem

Woodgate27

I was having an argument this morning with a mate while watching Germany - Italy. He is adament that the German national anthem is the verse started with "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles".

Quite a few years ago I studied German at uni, and I'm sure the above anthem was sung by the Nazis. I vaguely remember that the national anthem is in fact "Eingkeit und recht und freiheit" which, if I remember right, translates to unity and law and freedom.

Knowing there are Germans on this site I figured I would get the answer quickly. There is money riding on this.

As an aside, if you know someone who is stupid, bet with them. Easy money.

Disclaimer: If I'm wrong, I'm not stupid.

I know the answer to this one. Timmy Mallet sang it at the start of Wacaday during the school holidays when he was in Germany...it goes..."Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles..BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAAAAAAH!'

I know the answer to this one. Timmy Mallet sang it at the start of Wacaday during the school holidays when he was in Germany...it goes..."Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles..BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAAAAAAH!'

156499[/snapback]

The one with the most bruises loses? ;)

Only the third stanza ("Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit...") is protected as the proper national anthem and sung on official occasions these days - the "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles..." stanza variously fell out of use/was banned/etc. after WW2, more because of what it was associated with than its content (the aforementioned line being less inflammatory than it initially sounds to the foreign ear).

So he's not totally wrong, insofar as "Deutschland..." is still the first stanza of the original song - but it's most definitely not part of the anthem. I reckon you can safely claim those Aussie pesos!