Michael Morrison

Gemmill

18 year old centre half from Cambridge United has been training with us for the past week. It's on Cambridge's official site, so he could be one of our new signings.

Kirkey might know about him cos I think he goes to the odd Cambridge United game??

Anyway, I like the idea of Roeder buying youngsters on the cheap, assuming he can turn them into decent players. ;)

Michael Morrison (footballer)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Michael Morrison ( born 3 March 1988) is an English football player, currently playing for Cambridge United F.C. in the Nationwide Conference. He is a Central Defender.

Just starting out on his professional career, Morrison is already highly rated by the Cambridge fans and staff alike. His debut for the reserve team in 2003 when he was just 15 earned him the title of youngest ever Cambridge player, and his first team debut in 2005 came at just 17. The towering defender already shows maturity beyond his years on the pitch and has shown himself to be a natural leader, whilst demonstrating skill that will surely see him play at a higher level in years to come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Morrison_(footballer)

From Cambridge's home page:

Magpie Morrison?

U's defender Michael Morrison could be bound for the Premiership with Newcastle United.

The 18-year-old centre-half has spent the last eight days on trial with the Magpies and the feedback from their coaching staff is that he is "more than holding his own", according to Rob Newman.

After becoming the youngest-ever player for the U's reserves as a 15-year-old schoolboy, 'Morro' broke into the first team picture this time last year.

He featured extensively in the first team pre-season friendlies and demonstrated a cool head beyond his years, and in October 2005 he was rewarded with a pro contract to 2008 and made his LDV, FA Cup and Conference debut appearances in three consecutive games.

A fixture in the squad ever since, the teenager attracted attention from Everton and Preston and trained with both clubs last season, and his current trial with Newcastle will culminate in a trial game for them at the weekend.

"I will know after that if they want to take it further, and if not he's been asked to go to another Premiership club next week for them to look at him," added Newman.

If successful, Morrison would follow former teammate John Ruddy into the Premiership. The goalkeeper joined Everton a year ago and made his Premiership debut from the bench in February when Iain Turner was sent off for the Toffees

Edited by Geordie Boyo

The kid sounds very promising - and if signed will probably go straight into the first team squad.

(i hope he's not as tall as crouch like ;) )

The kid sounds very promising - and if signed will probably go straight into the first team squad.

(i hope he's not as tall as crouch like  ;)  )

157183[/snapback]

What does that say about our current defence? :first:

(i hope he's not as tall as crouch like  ;)  )

157183[/snapback]

What does that say about our current defence? :first:

157198[/snapback]

first choice centrebacks will be bramble and taylor. moore will be cover for either and the kid will be backup i'd imagine.

We'll have the likes of Titus, Taylor, Ramage, Edgar, Huntington, Moore in central denfence, but still, who have we got for the left-back or right-back positions, Carr & Babayaro...!? That's where we should be buying along with one or two top class fowards. Hopefully this French lad will turn out to be a bargin like Zoggy.

18 year old centre half from Cambridge United has been training with us for the past week.  It's on Cambridge's official site, so he could be one of our new signings.

Kirkey might know about him cos I think he goes to the odd Cambridge United game??

Anyway, I like the idea of Roeder buying youngsters on the cheap, assuming he can turn them into decent players.  :lol:

157101[/snapback]

Know nothing about him mate, stopped popping along to the occasional U's game after the last time I was there and the robbing bastards were charging £15 to get in.

Cambridge have always been good at developing their young talent though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's decent.

Would be slightly pissed off personally if he got a shot ahead of Dave Edgar, who I think has got the makings of a decent player, and is already on our books.

We have decided against taking him according to the other article posted by Scottish Mag. So there goes that idea plus that french kid wasnt taken either so there goes the idea of the youngsters :lol:

Hopefully we keep looking for cheap young talent to try and develop them into the next big stars. Possibly looking in our own backyard first if possible to follow up Freds ideal team of 11 Geordies.

We have decided against taking him according to the other article posted by Scottish Mag. So there goes that idea plus that french kid wasnt taken either so there goes the idea of the youngsters  :lol:

Hopefully we keep looking for cheap young talent to try and develop them into the next big stars. Possibly looking in our own backyard first if possible to follow up Freds ideal team of 11 Geordies.

158125[/snapback]

At least we are taking this young players and having a look at them, can't be expected to just sign any young player and hope we make them good! :hunter:

content to be honest. I'd be more miffed if we'd paid Cambridge £300k for this kid, and then had to suffer him in the reserves until we could farm him off again.

I support this "Try before you buy" approach