Beckham Toonbound?!!

asteroidblitz

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it say on N-O , can't get on.. one of those bastard IP bans.

157237[/snapback]

It's a five page thread :first:

Mostly the usual n-o stuff. Nothing on the SSN paper review, so it was probably a false alarm ;) Would have been worth it, if only for the shirt sales and the likely Northern Rock transfer subsidy.

FORMER England captain David Beckham has held secret talks with Newcastle United about a possible return to English Premier League football, the Daily Mail reported today.

The UK newspaper illustrated its three-page report with separate photographs of Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd and Real Madrid midfield player Beckham's wife Victoria emerging from the upmarket Claridges hotel, where the meeting was reportedly held.

England captain Beckham, 31, was said to have been smuggled out of a different exit.

No indication was given about exactly when the talks took place.

But the Mail claimed the northeast English club was keen to attract a big name star to St James' Park as England striker Michael Owen is likely to be out for up to a year with an injury sustained in the World Cup match with Sweden.

The Magpies were also keen for another iconic player after another former England captain, and local boy, Alan Shearer retired at the end of last season, it added.

I really dont know what to make of this. So FF was seen with Posh while Becks snuck out another way? Oh I see .... that because Posh and FF seen together is normal....

As for us needing another iconic figure. Bollocks. I dont care if we sign Mr Nowhere from Nowhere land so long as he can play football and ideally upfront (Thoug, I admit he may be a tad small and iirc has a tendancy to fall through holes).

As for the actual player, I just dont see how we need him? As already said, what can he do that Nobby cannot? Ok, perhaps you could rotate them as we dont know what Nobby's plans are (one rumour had him going back home, another that this may have been his last season), but Beckham, really? Looked v poor in the WC though Im not sure how he would be at club level.

Baffling this one....

Oh, and Link

FORMER England captain David Beckham has held secret talks with Newcastle United about a possible return to English Premier League football, the Daily Mail reported today.

The UK newspaper illustrated its three-page report with separate photographs of Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd and Real Madrid midfield player Beckham's wife Victoria emerging from the upmarket Claridges hotel, where the meeting was reportedly held.

England captain Beckham, 31, was said to have been smuggled out of a different exit.

But the Mail claimed the northeast English club was keen to attract a big name star to St James' Park as England striker Michael Owen is likely to be out for up to a year with an injury sustained in the World Cup match with Sweden.

The Magpies were also keen for another iconic player after another former England captain, and local boy, Alan Shearer retired at the end of last season, it added.

I really dont know what to make of this. So FF was seen with Posh while Becks snuck out another way? Oh I see .... that because Posh and FF seen together is normal....

As for us needing another iconic figure. Bollocks. I dont care if we sign Mr Nowhere from Nowhere land so long as he can play football and ideally upfront (Thoug, I admit he may be a tad small and iirc has a tendancy to fall through holes).

As for the actual player, I just dont see how we need him? As already said, what can he do that Nobby cannot? Ok, perhaps you could rotate them as we dont know what Nobby's plans are (one rumour had him going back home, another that this may have been his last season), but Beckham, really? Looked v poor in the WC though Im not sure how he would be at club level.

Baffling this one....

Oh, and Link

157250[/snapback]

Lampard and Gerrard looked very poor at the world cup tbf, so that means nowt. The Beckham - Solano comparisons are very flattering towards Nobby btw. I love Nobby, but if you gave me a straight choice I think I'd have Beckham in the team ahead of him.

I dunno about this one - as a player I'd have him at the club, my only concern is the financial impact of the signing. We'll see though - it might well be a load of bollocks. If it is, expect Roeder to quash the rumours later on today.

It could just be that Freddy and the stick insect ate at the same restaurant one day.

Having said that, if he is coming how much has Roeder got to do with it?

It would be great for attracting other players, but his wages could cover 3 or 4 excellent defenders.

Wasn't Becham on TV the other day saying Man U is the ONLY English club he'd ever play for and he's of to the American league?

And if he is coming it's another example of rank stupidity from Shepherd.

"Where shall I have my secret clandestine meeting with the worlds most famous and popular footballer in order to avoid the paparazzi that hound his every waking minute?

I know, Claridges! The most famous exclusive celebrity hang out for the discerning tabloid fodder where photographers live on the pavement outside"

Nah, it's either bollocks or a ploy to sell some season tickets to women.

And if he is coming it's another example of rank stupidity from Shepherd.

"Where shall I have my secret clandestine meeting with the worlds most famous and popular footballer in order to avoid the paparazzi that hound his every waking minute?

I know, Claridges! The most famous exclusive celebrity hang out for the discerning tabloid fodder where photographers live on the pavement outside"

Nah, it's either bollocks or a ploy to sell some season tickets to women.

157260[/snapback]

That's what making me think it's bollocks. If you wanted to keep it quiet, meet him in a hotel room or something (oo-er). Don't sit out in the open somewhere like Claridges. We'll see though....

Beckham: So, what sort of deal can you offer me.

FFS: It'll be top dollar. We really rate Steve and hope he can make an impact.

Beckham: Steve?

FFS: Claridge. Is he running late?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~864894,00.html

Beckham Rumours - Club Response

NEWCASTLE United issued the following statement through nufc.co.uk regarding a story in a national newspaper on Friday linking the club with a move for David Beckham.

The statement read:

"Newcastle United never comments on transfer speculation.

"The club has always enjoyed a close relationship with Real Madrid and would never do anything to spoil that relationship."

Edited by Geordie Boyo

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~864894,00.html

Beckham Rumours - Club Response

NEWCASTLE United issued the following statement through nufc.co.uk regarding a story in a national newspaper on Friday linking the club with a move for David Beckham.

The statement read:

"Newcastle United never comments on transfer speculation.

"The club has always enjoyed a close relationship with Real Madrid and would never do anything to spoil that relationship."

157275[/snapback]

Now THAT is not a denial ;)

Baffling this one....

Oh, and Link

157250[/snapback]

Lampard and Gerrard looked very poor at the world cup tbf, so that means nowt. The Beckham - Solano comparisons are very flattering towards Nobby btw. I love Nobby, but if you gave me a straight choice I think I'd have Beckham in the team ahead of him.

I dunno about this one - as a player I'd have him at the club, my only concern is the financial impact of the signing. We'll see though - it might well be a load of bollocks. If it is, expect Roeder to quash the rumours later on today.

157254[/snapback]

Yeah I agree, kinda what I was getting at there. I do stand by my comment regarding nobby, though I admit it may be through my B&W geps. On the financial implication, I would imagine any associated costs could be offset by generated income. He's a shirt seller and we'd have all teen-toon-totty toting his typeface in our toon-tribal tops tbh

Crazy Foo!

;)

Yep, we were quick to do that. Whether Roader will follow up and say the same thing again looks doubtful afar reading that statement. IF they were to make a statement regarding the speculation not being true then surely they would have said rather than saying they do not wish to comment.

Commercially it would be a great signing, the financial benefits of having Beckham would more than compensate his wage bill.

It would raise the profile of the club abroad and could help persuade possible replacements for Owen we mean business

On the playing side Beckham was top of the assists league in Spain last season, I think we can safely say he would improve the team.

It would be magnificent if we could pull this off, I would be very pleasantly surprised.

Guest Sima

At £120,000 p/w it's a complete waste of money tbh, that will be two players we have on £230K p/w combined.

I'd like to know what kid of fee we would be willing to pay as well. Anything above £6m and Shepherd wants his nuts cut off.

At £120,000 p/w it's a complete waste of money tbh, that will be two players we have on £230K p/w combined.

I'd like to know what kid of fee we would be willing to pay as well.  Anything above £6m and Shepherd wants his nuts cut off.

157295[/snapback]

I think if Shepherd did put a kid from fee in the deal he would have his nuts cut off, along with his head...! ;)