Strike it Luque

Scottish Mag

GLENN Roeder has challenged Albert Luque to lead Newcastle United's attack with style in the Intertoto Cup opener at St. James' Park on July 15.

Injuries meant the Spanish international never really showed his best form during his first season with the Magpies, although he did sign off last season with a goal at Gallowgate, netting a smart volley against Celtic in Alan Shearer's Testimonial.

Luque's only Premiership goal for Newcastle to date came in the 4-1 Easter Monday derby demolition of Sunderland at the Stadium of Light, but with Shearer now retired, Michael Chopra departed to Cardiff City and Michael Owen facing a long spell on the sidelines with a ruptured cruciate ligament, the former Deportivo man has the chance to stake his claim and prove his pedigree.

Roeder, who is still hoping Shola Ameobi will be able to play some part in the Intertoto tie despite hip soreness, told nufc.co.uk: "It is in no one else's hands but Albert's.

"You can only give him the stage to perform on, and as long as he doesn't get injured in the next week in training, he will be out on that stage next Saturday and he has to perform.

"He must see himself and the striking situation at Newcastle, for the first time since he's been here he picks himself. There's not a decision for me to make.

"There aren't alternatives at the moment, but that will change come August 19.

"I know how I would feel knowing I was starting the game next week. I know how important it would be to me to make a very good impression in the first game of the season.

"Memories of last year are in the distant past. Albert's waited for an opportunity and has often said he needs minutes on the pitch - and he will get plenty minutes on the pitch next week.

"He scored plenty of goals in Spain and in training he shows he is capable of hitting the back of the net.

"He's got a particulary strong left foot and he can also be good in the air. If he's fit next weekend, Albert will get the first opportunity."

reading between the lines there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of love heading Alberts way from yon Glenn does there

Sounds like we have another striker lined up...

I really want to know what gripe Roeder has with Luque. Barely played at the back end of last season even though there was nothing to play for, and is being begrudgingly selected now. :lol:

Sounds like we have another striker lined up...

I really want to know what gripe Roeder has with Luque. Barely played at the back end of last season even though there was nothing to play for, and is being begrudgingly selected now.  :lol:

157910[/snapback]

Looks like he wants away to me. Body language is awful.