Butt Giving It 100 Per Cent

Scottish Mag

GLENN Roeder says Nicky Butt "will give it 100 per cent" after his return to Newcastle United.

Signed from Manchester United in the summer of 2004, the flame-haired midfielder spent last term on loan at Birmingham City, making 29 appearances and scoring three times for the Blues as they dropped out of the Premiership.

Now he's back on Tyneside and looking to get his Magpie career back on track.

Roeder told nufc.co.uk: "Nicky's come back and is training very well, he's working as hard as anybody.

"I have to say that in training he's been as good as anyone, whether on the running side or the football work in the evenings. He's certainly training very well.

"Right now, I have to say everybody is part of my plans. I've had a good chat with Nicky, he said he's back and he will give it 100 per cent.

"So far he's certainly given it 100 per cent in both the physical and football work.

"His training is right up there with the best of them in terms of energy and quality.

"I've worked with Nicky before. I worked with him for two-and-a-half years when he was a vital member of the England squad, just as he was also a vital member of the Manchester United squad at the same time."

The 31-year-old, who enjoyed immense success at Old Trafford, made 28 appearances for Newcastle in his maiden term. Ironically, his only goal in a black and white shirt came against Birmingham City at St. Andrew's before his loan move to the Blues.

If he plays well this season, all is forgiven by me tbh.

157885[/snapback]

Same here, but I can't really see where him AND Parker will fit into the team, and I much prefer the latter. We'll have to wait and see.

We're not going to be able to shift him and we won't be signing any superstars so we have to make the best of the situation. Either he pulls his socks up and does something useful or he fannies about and drops behind young lads like Pattison. It's all down to how Butt reacts.

It would be nice to think 'sod him' but we wont be able to fill our Intertoto Cup squad with senior pros, so we'll have to put up with what we can get.

He's still our player and so long as he pulls on the black and white shirt and does give 100%, he'll get my full backing.

Brock man, with a squad our size we cannot afford to make comments like that. There are some demons in the closet (particularly as far as the 2005 semi-final goes), but we've got to bury those grudges and move on...

He's still our player and so long as he pulls on the black and white shirt and does give 100%, he'll get my full backing.

Brock man, with a squad our size we cannot afford to make comments like that. There are some demons in the closet (particularly as far as the 2005 semi-final goes), but we've got to bury those grudges and move on...

158023[/snapback]

He consistently proved that he couldn't care less on the pitch, and his performances, even at the start of the season when people deemed him adequte were sub-par and some downright woeful.

I know the squad is thin, but he is the last player I'd expect to see pull on the shirt even on the subs bench.

Guest Fog on the Tyne
He should never play for us again after that pathetic performance against Manure, if that wasn't playing dead I don't know what is!

158199[/snapback]

I love how Butt gets the flack for the Man Utd semi-final when in reality the whole team was awful that game. He's a decent player who's lacked confidence and belief for the past two seasons.

Much as I think Butt took the piss with us he was probably our best player in the handful of games before Souness arrived. Also, given the size of squad, lack of funds etc. the club needs to be pragmatic rather than just giving away players we don't want a la Souness. It's good to see Roeder has adopted this approach and I'd much rather have Butt here than Faye.

In our current predicament, if Butt comes back to his best form, any one who doesn't want him playing for us wants their fucking head checked.

I couldn't care less if he's been raping kittens tbh.