The World Cup Final - Italy v France

Gemmill

At least it was a decent final. Best one in a while. Spoilt a bit by Zidane's crazy mentalness.

Always a pisser when it goes to penalties though, and the best team on the night lost IMO.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheats lost at the end of the day (semi + final pens were worse than anything Ronaldo did).

I actually felt good watching Italy win - don't know where it came from but when I saw Barthez sitting depressed I thought back to his antics for Monaco against us and felt better for my "choice".

Best team on the night lost - FACT

Zidane is a dickhead for the headbutt - FACT

Materazzi deserved what he got - MORE THAN LIKELY

What I was thinking to myself when I watched the Wops lift the cup is that this is a team that England should easily beat and yet they're world champions...

One of these tournaments, we will get our act together - I hope!

Will we ever find out what Matterazzi said to him?

Uncalled for regardless. Glad Italy won it, but France were the better side.

Just goes to show that plaiyng with 1 up front kills the game.

Geddin, Paddy Power have just refunded me £4 as part of some special because France lost on penalties, bringing my total winnings to £16, woopee!

Geddin, Paddy Power have just refunded me £4 as part of some special because France lost on penalties, bringing my total winnings to £16, woopee!

157977[/snapback]

Wise choice going with Paddy Power. The said they'd paid out a fortune to people who put money on England because we lost on penalties...

157977[/snapback]

Wise choice going with Paddy Power. The said they'd paid out a fortune to people who put money on England because we lost on penalties...

157988[/snapback]

No skill involved on my part, it was the only one of my online betting accounts that had funds in. :hunter:

Winner though! :lol:

Anyone else spy the French number 2 going up to pick his medal up?? I did wonder if he'd actually gone to the World Cup or not! :lol:

What I was thinking to myself when I watched the Wops lift the cup is that this is a team that England should easily beat and yet they're world champions...

157972[/snapback]

Rascist and fantasist in one sentence, impressive

zidane3fj.gif

See! violence is a lot funnier than diving. Funny how fast Materazzi just freezes and falls to the ground  :lol:

158002[/snapback]

Materazzi definately tries to trip him at the end there. Should have gone too.

157972[/snapback]

Italy are deserved winners and they are ten times the team England could ever hope to be. FACTISSIMO.

Campioni!!

zidane3fj.gif

See! violence is a lot funnier than diving. Funny how fast Materazzi just freezes and falls to the ground  :lol:

158002[/snapback]

Materazzi definately tries to trip him at the end there. Should have gone too.

158007[/snapback]

Think it was just "reflexes" myself... :hunter:

The world cup winners were not the best team in the Tournament, still think that's either the Argentinians or the Germans. Italy were impenetrable at the back though.

Dodgy peno, dodgy equaliser, italy tired VERY quickly, France were utterly disjointed beyond Makelele. It wasn't a game for the purists, but enthralling none-the-less.

Glad Italy won it because I think the defensive display was better than every part of France's team. If their forwards and midfield hadn't tired so quickly I'm sure the Italians would have gone on to win it in normal time.

Zidane wants his fucking head read, I don't care what Materazzi said, you cannot react like that. If you want to retaliate give him a bit of verbal back, or even better score the goal that wins your team the world cup.

Thierry was again uninspiring in the colours of France, and Malouda and Abidal looked decidedly average, neither one looked like they should be representing their country... surely France has better left wingers and fullbacks?

I would have had Silvestre ahead of Abidal any day of the week.

Italy are deserved winners and they are ten times the team England could ever hope to be. FACTISSIMO.

Campioni!!

158010[/snapback]

awesome defense but pretty dire up front to be honest.

Campioni!!

158010[/snapback]

awesome defense but pretty dire up front to be honest.

158013[/snapback]

Best all-round team IMO.

157972[/snapback]

Campioni!!

158010[/snapback]

Absolute bollocks tbqfh! As has been said, defensively they've been good (not much better than England's defence though but up front they've been very ordinary...

There's been far better teams this summer than Italy. And I agree England have NOT been one of them.

157972[/snapback]

Campioni!!

158010[/snapback]

Absolute bollocks tbqfh! As has been said, defensively they've been good (not much better than England's defence though but up front they've been very ordinary...

There's been far better teams this summer than Italy. And I agree England have NOT been one of them.

158016[/snapback]

Bollocks, I just hate the fact that Italy are the team everyone loves to hate even when they do well - at the end of the day, they were brilliant defensively and they still tried to go forward as often as possible. The balance was perfect and it's what won them the World Cup. Who deserved it then? Germany? Deservedly beaten in the semis. France? Were absolutely awful in the group stages and not convincing against the Portuguese. Argentina? Deservedly beaten by the Germans. Brazil? They were downright shit.

Edited by Bombadil

"balance was perfect" my man shaped arse.

They offered fuck all going forward. They were the best defensive side in the tournament, but were shocking in the final third.

Argentina and Germany played better football but were knocked out fair and square.

This is just one of the many times that the "Best Team" doesn't win, it's the team that rides it's luck, takes it's chances and has the belief.

England , pound for pound, have a better first eleven than the majority of teams in the finals, but they played poorly and employed the wrong tactics. Italy played a system which got the most out of their strongest area and you can't fault them for it. The two centre halves were imperious but the attacking options available to Italy were misfiring and generally poor.

I don't hate Italy I just don't like cheats and before this tournament their national sides were massive contributors to spreading the diving and feigning injury around the world.

trust me I would have preferred Italy to have won it in regulation time because I think penalties take focus away from what was a really scrappy game. The French were god-awful defending set pieces and like the Italians didn't gel well up front.

end of the day it's easy to claim that the best team won, but that's bollocks. The "Best Team" didn't even get to the semis

They offered fuck all going forward. They were the best defensive side in the tournament, but were shocking in the final third.

Argentina and Germany played better football but were knocked out fair and square.

This is just one of the many times that the "Best Team" doesn't win, it's the team that rides it's luck, takes it's chances and has the belief.

England , pound for pound, have a better first eleven than the majority of teams in the finals, but they played poorly and employed the wrong tactics.  Italy played a system which got the most out of their strongest area and you can't fault them for it. The two centre halves were imperious but the attacking options available to Italy were misfiring and generally poor.

I don't hate Italy I just don't like cheats and before this tournament their national sides were massive contributors to spreading the diving and feigning injury around the world.

trust me I would have preferred Italy to have won it in regulation time because I think penalties take focus away from what was a really scrappy game. The French were god-awful defending set pieces and like the Italians didn't gel well up front.

end of the day it's easy to claim that the best team won, but that's bollocks. The "Best Team" didn't even get to the semis

158019[/snapback]

Am agreeing totally with the Fish here...

I think overall the Germans, Argies and Brazil were 'better teams' than the Italians - I'd argue that had they come up against Portugal (particulary with Deco in the team), they'd have been out on their arsehole!

They won tonight because they took 5 good penalties. Ever since half time of normal time they really didn't seem to want to know.

England , pound for pound, have a better first eleven than the majority of teams in the finals, but they played poorly and employed the wrong tactics.  Italy played a system which got the most out of their strongest area and you can't fault them for it. The two centre halves were imperious but the attacking options available to Italy were misfiring and generally poor.

158019[/snapback]

That's the point, though - there wasn't more cheating from the Italians than from any other team this time around, and yet people hate them.

The balance was perfect - they had the best defence and still created more than enough chances to win their games, which they did. They won the World Cup, and they won it convincingly - that's enough for me. As for their attack, Toni, Gilardino, Iaquinta and Del Piero are, pound for pound, better than everything England have got.

158019[/snapback]

Am agreeing totally with the Fish here...

I think overall the Germans, Argies and Brazil were 'better teams' than the Italians - I'd argue that had they come up against Portugal (particulary with Deco in the team), they'd have been out on their arsehole!

They won tonight because they took 5 good penalties. Ever since half time of normal time they really didn't seem to want to know.

158022[/snapback]

Portugal were not even average and Deco was awful against both France and Germany - why should Italy have worried?

The fact that so many people don't like the fact that the best team won makes it even sweeter tbh. :lol:

You cannot, simply cannot possibly be trying to say that the disjointed Italian attack is anywhere near comparable to the Argentineans, or the Brazilians.. Hell even the normally stoic Germans had a flare and invention about their forward play usually associated with Latin countries!

I'm glad Italy won; their defence merited the victory on their own. However I'm not so beguiled by Cannavaro and Materazzi that I'll heap praise upon their team-mates.

I can't think of many crafted chances from the Italians, the only time they threatened Barthez's goal were corners and the penalties at the end. Hardly the craft which you vaunt.

They were pretty much a one trick pony today, go for a corner and get the big men to attack the shockingly inept French defence. I don't recall Luca Toni having a chance other than from the corner, Totti was anonymous and while hard working, Camoranesi and Perrotta were ineffective.

So balls to your "balanced" side, at least France showed some vision and guile in their forward play.

It seems you have a chip on your shoulder, you think people hate Italy and that they've won in the face of adversity. Bollocks. They've won because they beat the teams they met, which is all any team can do. If Italy had met Argentina or Brazil I do not think we'd have seen much of the Italians. Oh and if you actually read my post I said that up until this tournament Italian football was synonymous with diving feigning injury etc.

They weren't close to being the worst offenders in this tournament and I would say they played the game in a better spirit than most teams.

However they were not the best team, they were not a balanced side and you're bloody minded fool if you think otherwise.

:lol: