Glenn Roeder Talk At Kingston Park

Tooj

Guest Fog on the Tyne

It'll be the usual drab stuff, "it's a great club", "the fans deserve a trophy", "we've been working hard to try and sign a striker" etc etc.

It'll be the usual drab stuff, "it's a great club", "the fans deserve a trophy", "we've been working hard to try and sign a striker" etc etc.

159322[/snapback]

Aye, expect no revelations. You might as well just read the "hard-hitting" interview he's done in the Chronicle with Oliver today. That's about as much as you'll walk away with from the talk-in.

Good point, yeah when will you be back to report.  Ask what he's playing at, he said he'd sign plays after the WC...well it's been nearly a week.

159320[/snapback]

To be fair he has four years untill the next one.

Covering his back tbh.

Guest Fog on the Tyne
Not long to wait now?

159517[/snapback]

Knowing Roeder's dull persona, he'll still be answering the first question asked tonight.

Well I just got back from it. Was canny, if you like squeezing 250 people into a room that holds 200. Very likeable bloke when you listen to him, naturally didnt give to much away as you'd expect. Intreresting that they mentioned not going on to tell loads of people, send texts (or internet) about stuff so that it appears in the papers and upsets things i nmotion like.

Olivers still a twat like :(

Oh and actually, Roeder was pretty funny, took this piss a fair bit. :o

Just reading what's been said over on N-O. I can't see how they can honestly believe that they can tell 250 people anything and expect it not to get out, Alan Oliver was there FFS!

He seems to have suggested Luque's not doing enough to learn the language and that the club have done all they can do. One thing I expect from Roeder is him giving players a chance and it sounds like Luque's character is shite. That's disappointing as I always tend to believe player's characters will come good as I can never understand how they have no backbone. Obviously I'll hope for the best and give him a chance on the pitch, but it sounds like we're better off getting rid.

Apparently he's 50/50 to pull off a bit of a coup on Monday and he expects to bring in 5 players for the new season. He seems an honest and realistic bloke, I hope he's right.

Here's my full synopsis...

First of all i'd like to thank Roeder for putting on a cracking evening tonight, he came across in my eyes as a very honest and humble man

First of all he said expect at least 5 transfers coming in this side of things, 50/50 that a deal will be completed by Monday and there should definately be somebody in by Wednesday

The new academy director is signed, sealed and delivered, he shall be announced on Monday

New captain announced in tomorow's Chronicle

He said character is going to be a key element when bringing any player to the club from now on, as in the last 5 years Newcastle has spent around 90 million and rarely made a profit on a player and the days of this sort of spending are basically over.

He wants players in who want to play for the club and not someone who sees it as a step down, and as in the past aren't just here to pick up the wages but feel pride in wearing the shirt. How he will scrutinise every last detail of a player to how many times a day he brushes his teeth :(

He's really looking for players with Premiership experience, and he also dropped a big hint by saying the player doesn't have to be playing in this country at the minute which brought to my mind Anelka or even Kanoute perhaps.

The media are stirring it about the Angel and Milner swap and Milner has been brighter than anyone in pre-season training and has a big future at the club.

About Boumsong, it just hasn't worked out for him, says he has fantastic character but he's not suited to the English game and will one day return to the Continent. He also dropped a few corkers about him too

'Some people wanted him to have a great WC for obvious reasons, well he did have one because he didnt play'

'When he came back from the World Cup and said he'll only need a two week break, i was gutted as i was hoping he'd say ten month'

:D:):lol::lol::lol:

We have rejected three offers already this summer for Taylor.

There were also serveral instances brought up really of how clueless the previous regime was. The game when Taylor re-done his shoulder against Liverpool, Roeder was stood in the office when the doctor told Souness there was an 80% chance of it going again before half-time and low and behold it went after 25 minutes. Also when he made the Academy team swap training grounds with the first team, Roeder said there were no cases of hamstring injuries actually at the training ground it all happened somewhere else, and even when the academy moved to the training ground they didn't get any hamstring injuries. As all these injuries with the first team happened away from the training ground and it was another case of Souness passing the buck so to speak.

And one more thing that i can remember for now...

'The Roeder Mobile' :D

dsc0036816fq.jpg

And those ladies walking around in the black and white :drill:

'When he came back from the World Cup and said he'll only need a two week break, i was gutted as i was hoping he'd say ten month'

:(

And those ladies walking around in the black and white  :D

159622[/snapback]

Tell me someone got some pictures?

Guest Fog on the Tyne

Although he's right, he shouldn't really be saying that about our players.

He also said that none of the young un's at this moment in time are good enough to have a career in the long-term with us

And Carrick was turned down by us, Boro and Sunderland :(

Oooo aye and he kept on hammering the Mackems, and the way Kevin Ball was and saying the way he was going on at him was like watching a Sunday League manager, but then again it was a Sunday league team :(:D:)

Although he's right, he shouldn't really be saying that about our players.

159627[/snapback]

It was said very much tongue in cheek and made that pretty clear, along with a few other quips. Also, interestingly when he first took over and he was asked what was the difference in the first game (against Pompy) he said it was no good him going in and talking different tactics or about who had been doing right or wrong.

He said the players neded a lift more than anything. They had sessions of "fun" training. Playing one touch football and "tag" etc. Said they had a good laugh and it really put them off on the right foot for the game. Also that the renewed atmosphere in the ground helped this and of course then we went on to which gave us momentum into the next game and so on.

He picked a a couple of players. He stated that one o fthe best things in football is that its about opinions. While some of the audience were rumbling about certain poor players, he said who's to say who is right and who is wrong? He wouldnt be drawn into directly critisising individuals. He did say steve taylor had a massive future and commented about his crunching tackles and how he seems to get pleasure out of decking someone in a tackle :( Also about Milner, in that he is one of the fittest lasts at the club. On Boumsong he said he is far from a bottler, and has had ups and downs, but suggested his style of defending works on the continent but would need to adapt it to the prem. Expects him to play back over there at some point.

On Luque, he said he has had the same treatment as everyone at the club. All players who were struggling or down had the same advice / help etc. He said alot is now up to the player. He doesnt seem to have pushed much to learn the language who is a hinderance, also he did have a very bad hamstring (perfect time to learn the language imo). But, like other players (Butt I assume being one) he has a chance to put it right and if he can turn it around he knows the fans will get behid him.

Did make it pretty clear though. He that the clubs buying of late had been shocking. He said he investigates a players history on injuries, on how they fit in etc as much as he can. He wont sign a player on a recommendation without doing alot of homework. Also that the club is in such a position that they cannot risk signing a European player (or from anywhere else) for £10-£15M or whatever, for them to come over and not adapt to the game. Or to take some "big name" for them to come over and milk the club. As said before, he wants players who have shown they can do it already, in the Prem. Doesnt have to be a big priced player, so long as they show they want to win and can play.

After listening to him, my opinon of him has risen. Seems a genuinly good, honest bloke. Also for all I have my critisisms of Oliver, was good to hear him slate Souness :D I thihnk he used the word "Fraud" in there a couple of times.

Nah, I know it can be seen as that, but as he pointed out, it was said between those four walls and meant to be kept there. Also said during a moment of piss taking both at him, and at others. Was funny like.