Car trouble.

Guest Toplass-101

Guest Toplass-101

I took my car for a service yesterday, and later received this call...

Me: Hello

Mechanic: Is that Lindsay ?

Me: yes :sweat:

Mechanic: Im doing your service.

Me: ok

Mechanic: You need new brake pads, tracking done, two new tyres and new brake shoes.

*normally I would be overjoyed that a man would suggest I need to buy some new shoes :D but alas not this time ;)

Me: so how much is this going to cost ?

Mechanic: £337.80p

Me: WHAT???? :o

Mechanic: its the cheapest I can do.

Me: So does this work need doing now ? is the car dangerous to drive? :(

Mechanic: your breaks are metal onto metal :yes

*I thought hmmmm well surely its better that your breaks are metal onto metal to slow the car, rather then not hit the metal and your car doesnt stop.

However, I agreed for him to do the work and I went to collect the car today. At the garage he advised me that as my car now has new brakes, they might be a bit spongy.

Spongy FFS Spongy! I have spent £337 to go from metal on metal, to spongy!

So do men get the same silly explanations of what is wrong with their cars, or are the none-self-explanatory "metal on metal" and "spongy" explanations just saved for women.

Rant over :doh:

course we don't you silly girl, we're all well versed in the art of mechanicry and so need not actually use spoken words to describe what is wrong with the car, we simply communicate through inhalation.

Yup - makes perfect sense to me....

They'll be a bit spongey until the pads have 'bedded in' :(

As for 'metal on metal', I'm suprised he's come out with that comment and not tried to fleece you for some new brake discs as well!

Metal on metal means you have actually have no brake pad left and all that remains is the metal mounting plate which is now rubbing (and probably scoring the fuck out of & warping) your brake discs...

Cars are twats. The driver's door won't open on mine at the minute and the bloke is going to have to smash the door panel to fix it - £70 for the catch and £200 for the door panel he'll have to break to fix the £70 catch. Canny.

Cars are twats.  The driver's door won't open on mine at the minute and the bloke is going to have to smash the door panel to fix it - £70 for the catch and £200 for the door panel he'll have to break to fix the £70 catch.  Canny.

159039[/snapback]

I'm hedging a bet that there's an easier (and more cost effective) way to fix that - what car you got Scott?

Cars are twats.  The driver's door won't open on mine at the minute and the bloke is going to have to smash the door panel to fix it - £70 for the catch and £200 for the door panel he'll have to break to fix the £70 catch.  Canny.

159039[/snapback]

I'm hedging a bet that there's an easier (and more cost effective) way to fix that - what car you got Scott?

159040[/snapback]

Did he mention he'll also be bending you over the bonnet as well, in so many words thats what it sounds like, just hope he uses lube. :(

159039[/snapback]

159040[/snapback]

Did he mention he'll also be bending you over the bonnet as well, in so many words thats what it sounds like, just hope he uses lube. :(

159042[/snapback]

Nah, the door is completely fucked. Can't be opened from inside or out, and the screws to get the door panel off are unreachable because the door is jammed shut. The bloke who I get to do the work on my car is dead sound - he hasn't even ordered the door panel yet cos he says if I find one elsewhere for cheaper, to get it from there and he'll fit it for me, so it's not like he's doing it to take the piss.

Craig - A6.

OK, it's short notice before this weekend but I'll have a chat with a few people I know and see if there's a way you can get the door open without resorting to that.

I'll let you know if I find anything out :(

Guest Toplass-101

I know a garage that will fix a door for £20.00 (if you have the replacement door)

Ive needed a new off side rear door for over 18 months now. My car passed its test last year with the same knackered door, but the numpty who fixed the breaks today said it wouldnt pass an MOT (due next month), so I told him id not be booking it in with him then.

I dont bloody like him, I wanted to by real shoes, not break shoes :(

Edited by Toplass-101

159039[/snapback]

159040[/snapback]

159042[/snapback]

Nah, the door is completely fucked. Can't be opened from inside or out, and the screws to get the door panel off are unreachable because the door is jammed shut. The bloke who I get to do the work on my car is dead sound - he hasn't even ordered the door panel yet cos he says if I find one elsewhere for cheaper, to get it from there and he'll fit it for me, so it's not like he's doing it to take the piss.

Craig - A6.

159049[/snapback]

Get one of your mates to bump it then claim on the insurance for a new door and spray job.

Lost interest in driving after 10 lessons, so at least some blokes are as clueless about cars as topless.

159053[/snapback]

Why did you lose interest? I've just got my provisional licence so i'll be looking to start lessons soon.

159057[/snapback]

he worked out that he couldn't get a shag even if he was driving a flash motor :(

159039[/snapback]

159040[/snapback]

159042[/snapback]

Craig - A6.

159049[/snapback]

piece of piss man and much cheaper....

lw2155a.jpg

Expensive bastids when something goes wrong like. Thankfully, my sister started office managing a garage at the start of the year and my car got it's pre-dated MOT pass, the brake pads fixed, and other odds and sods that needed fixing for £50. About time she payed me back for the mental and physical anguish.

Aye, but that's only a 2ft x 3 ft gap to squeeze through....

Would need a shoe-horn! :(

159111[/snapback]

Knobs. :o

I have to go in through the passenger door and climb across. When the door first knackered it was quite awkward, but now that I've been doing it for a month or two, it's become almost as easy as getting in on the normal side. I just slide gracefully across. ;)

I have to go in through the passenger door and climb across.  When the door first knackered it was quite awkward, but now that I've been doing it for a month or two, it's become almost as easy as getting in on the normal side.  I just slide gracefully across. :o

159122[/snapback]

Careful you don't slip when you're halfway across, mind :(

I have to go in through the passenger door and climb across.  When the door first knackered it was quite awkward, but now that I've been doing it for a month or two, it's become almost as easy as getting in on the normal side.  I just slide gracefully across. :o

159122[/snapback]

The Vaseline on your gearstick probably helps..... :(