Roeder - I don't want fat cat stars

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder slammed reports linking Newcastle United with Argentina's World Cup schemer Javier Saviola today.

The talk coming out of Spain today was that United had joined Arsenal and Bolton Wanderers for the midfielder, who has been on loan from Barcelona and won the UEFA Cup with Seville last season.

But Roeder quickly dismissed this in a hard-hitting interview when he told me: "Without being disrespectful to anyone, we are not looking for fat cat millionaires coming to St James' Park who will only waste the club's, and our supporters', money.

"In fact, I only want players who are not only hungry for success but absolutely starving.

"And I want players who will see a transfer to Newcastle United as a move up and not a move down.

"I want players who have been in the Premiership who are so upset with their managers for not using them that they will come here with plenty to prove.

"Don't get me wrong - I love working with great players and it is something I have done in the past and I am doing with Newcastle United at the moment.

"But they have to be the right players for Newcastle United and our supporters this season."

After studying Roeder's comments it makes me wonder if Shaun Wright-Phillips comes into the United manager's thinking.

He has had a disastrous time at Stamford Bridge following his £18m transfer, was left out of England's World Cup squad and has plenty to prove both to himself and Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

Anything involving the former Manchester City flyer would have to

be a loan deal but this won't worry United supporters.

I hear that Wright-Phillips has been telling anyone who is prepared to listen that he feels he will end up at St James' Park this season, and Jermain Defoe at Spurs comes into the same category.

Both Roeder and his chairman Freddy Shepherd are fully aware that the supporters are clamouring for new signings with United's first game - and an important one at that - now just a couple of days away with Lillestrom due at St James' Park in the InterToto Cup which is now virtually an early round of the UEFA Cup.

Roeder knows that he cannot make any mistakes in his dealings in the transfer market in the next couple of weeks.

His predecessor Graeme Souness made two massive and costly mistakes by paying the best part of £20m to bring Jean Alain Boumsong and Albert Luque to St James' Park.

And it would surprise me if either the French or Spanish international was still at the club by the turn of the year.

As revealed in The Chronicle on Tuesday Monaco want to sign Boumsong.

But United will reject a request from Monaco to let Boumsong return to France on loan.

Glenn Roeder slammed reports linking Newcastle United with Argentina's World Cup schemer Javier Saviola today.

The talk coming out of Spain today was that United had joined Arsenal and Bolton Wanderers for the midfielder, who has been on loan from Barcelona and won the UEFA Cup with Seville last season.

But Roeder quickly dismissed this in a hard-hitting interview when he told me: "Without being disrespectful to anyone, we are not looking for fat cat millionaires coming to St James' Park who will only waste the club's, and our supporters', money.

"In fact, I only want players who are not only hungry for success but absolutely starving.

"And I want players who will see a transfer to Newcastle United as a move up and not a move down.

"I want players who have been in the Premiership who are so upset with their managers for not using them that they will come here with plenty to prove.

"Don't get me wrong - I love working with great players and it is something I have done in the past and I am doing with Newcastle United at the moment.

"But they have to be the right players for Newcastle United and our supporters this season."

After studying Roeder's comments it makes me wonder if Shaun Wright-Phillips comes into the United manager's thinking.

He has had a disastrous time at Stamford Bridge following his £18m transfer, was left out of England's World Cup squad and has plenty to prove both to himself and Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

Anything involving the former Manchester City flyer would have to

be a loan deal but this won't worry United supporters.

I hear that Wright-Phillips has been telling anyone who is prepared to listen that he feels he will end up at St James' Park this season, and Jermain Defoe at Spurs comes into the same category.

Both Roeder and his chairman Freddy Shepherd are fully aware that the supporters are clamouring for new signings with United's first game - and an important one at that - now just a couple of days away with Lillestrom due at St James' Park in the InterToto Cup which is now virtually an early round of the UEFA Cup.

Roeder knows that he cannot make any mistakes in his dealings in the transfer market in the next couple of weeks.

His predecessor Graeme Souness made two massive and costly mistakes by paying the best part of £20m to bring Jean Alain Boumsong and Albert Luque to St James' Park.

And it would surprise me if either the French or Spanish international was still at the club by the turn of the year.

As revealed in The Chronicle on Tuesday Monaco want to sign Boumsong.

But United will reject a request from Monaco to let Boumsong return to France on loan.

159289[/snapback]

I know this could be taken in a different we but to me this sounds worrying like we are just looking at players that there clubs don't want. If this is true the rumors about players like Angel could well have some legs.

Basically that means we will be going for 3rd and 4th choice strikers from clubs in the bottom half of the table.

Cannit wait for the new season now!

Surely Hasslebaink would have fallen in that category? Maybe Viduka or Defoe?

Guest Fog on the Tyne
Basically that means we will be going for 3rd and 4th choice strikers from clubs in the bottom half of the table.

159294[/snapback]

Nistelrooy?

Anyway, Roeder comments proves that to me that we dont have the pulling power anymore to attrack the big stars - especially if we're targeting players who have fallen out with their manager because "they won't take much persuading".

For fucks sake, a wise move by Shepherd yet again by putting this bucket-head in charge of us.

What worries me is that these are not the right noises for a club to be making if we're expecting a run in Europe.

It's almost as if we're merely buying players who will keep us in the division. Where's the ambition? Signing bit-part players or those who are out of favour won't push us forward as a club, rather hold us back.

Souness was a moron but at least he tried to bring in some good players of a high quality. Granted some were failures, but I'd put most of that down to his bad management.

For fuck sake if a world-renowned player like Saviola is available for a reported 3 million (it's also great to see Oliver thinks he's a midfielder :( ) then at least make an offer.

He'll end up at Arsenal and between him, Henry and Van Persie they'll score a shitload, whilst we stick with Ameobi and Luque in mid-table mediocracy.

159292[/snapback]

I take it the article is Oliver's doing then? He's digging in his heels about SWP isn't he? :(

Guest Fog on the Tyne
Panic appointment tbh.

159302[/snapback]

Agreed. Plus, he knows Roeder is a soft touch and won't have the bottle to confront Shepherd when he's doing transfer dealings behind Roeders back.

Panic appointment tbh.

159302[/snapback]

Agreed. Plus, he knows Roeder is a soft touch and won't have the bottle to confront Shepherd when he's doing transfer dealings behind Roeders back.

159305[/snapback]

Sadly, I think there may be a little bit of truth in that.

Panic appointment tbh.

159302[/snapback]

159305[/snapback]

Sadly, I think there may be a little bit of truth in that.

159307[/snapback]

Basically he's a "yes" man.

They're gonna go SPARE on N-O when they see this.

159297[/snapback]

Most of them seem surprisingly positive about it!

If you do take it as we are looking to sign the likes of Defoe, SWP and Bridge (ie players who have gone to bigger clubs played well or reasonably well but just never quite managed to cement a place in the team - like Parker) as oppose to players like Kluivert and Butt who have come from being big fish at massive clubs and made a step down to us, then it's a transfer policy that I would be happy with.

But it just strikes me as it's more likely that we haven't got a pot to piss in and a manager with no pulling power so we will just have to take other clubs cast offs.

Guest Fog on the Tyne

159309[/snapback]

Kudos. Glenn might as well paint himself green and go by the name of Kermit as he's got Shepherd's hand up his arse and Frederick's quotes coming out of his gob.

159309[/snapback]

Kudos. Glenn might as well paint himself green and go by the name of Kermit as he's got Shepherd's hand up his arse and Frederick's quotes coming out of his gob.

159330[/snapback]

True, true. I can actually say Shepherd knew what he was doing appointing Roeder.

159294[/snapback]

Hasslebaink and Viduka fail the fat-cat test at the first hurdle :(

159294[/snapback]

Hasslebaink and Viduka fail the fat-cat test at the first hurdle :(

159523[/snapback]

I dont think Viduka would even be able to get off the mark.

Some of his language could be better but I have no problem with the jist.

Patrick Kluivert Vs Scott Parker?

159501[/snapback]

To be fair, Kluivert was much more a cast off than Parker was. Barcelona were absolutely desperate to get shot.

Some of his language could be better but I have no problem with the jist.

Patrick Kluivert Vs Scott Parker?

159501[/snapback]

To be fair, Kluivert was much more a cast off than Parker was. Barcelona were absolutely desperate to get shot.

159540[/snapback]

Barca wanted shot as Kluivert was the highest paid player in the World at the time (his loyalty bonus was around £4 million per year! :( ) Saviola was on a high wage too which is why he's been loaned out for the last few years...

Edited by Baggio