£10m for Wright-Phillips on LOAN

Guest Fog on the Tyne

Guest Fog on the Tyne

Is what Chelsea are asking for according to the Journal.

The recent interest dropped in Malbranque could possibly show that we are actually in for SWP. Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't take any notice of the price-tag mind, especially when you think Souness wanted £20m for Jenas and settled for £7m.

I'd prefer SWP.

159781[/snapback]

Agree, younger and has been sat on the bench for the last year.

Failed to make the world cup so should feel like he has something to prove.

One of the most exciting young players in the premiership, pace, good shot, can go past players, plenty of end product, seems to have a good attitude, hard worker. Didn't see much diving at City, either.

Yeah, I'll have him please.

Surely £10m isn't the loan fee, but the fee we'd agree to pay next year to take him on a permanent deal?

159790[/snapback]

That's probably next season's transfer budget gone though. Plus there'll probably be a loan fee too. It's just a lot to be paying for a winger at a time when we're a bit skint.

Guest Fog on the Tyne
Surely £10m isn't the loan fee, but the fee we'd agree to pay next year to take him on a permanent deal?

159790[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure £10m is the loan fee - it's a blatant hands off warning by Mourinho to Roeder. Like I said in my original post, it's pretty much a random six-figure sum that Mourinho has put around SWP's neck and in reality he would settle for much less than that.

That's probably next season's transfer budget gone though.  Plus there'll probably be a loan fee too.  It's just a lot to be paying for a winger at a time when we're a bit skint.

159791[/snapback]

Next year's European cash, which we won't see any of unless we inject some flair and pace into the side. I do think it's a bit strange looking at this option when we have Nobby, and some serious holes in the side, unless he's being brought in to play off the main striker.

I'm pretty sure £10m is the loan fee - it's a blatant hands off warning by Mourinho to Roeder. Like I said in my original post, it's pretty much a random six-figure sum that Mourinho has put around SWP's neck and in reality he would settle for much less than that.

159792[/snapback]

If that's true then we should all alugh at Chelsea just a little bit more than we already are.

This was on Icnewcastle/in The Journal this morning:

Newcastle United will have to find £10m to sign Shaun Wright-Phillips on loan for a season as Chelsea will demand they buy the England international next summer.

The Magpies are sorely tempted by a player who was viewed as the most thrilling wide midfielder in the country when he left Manchester City for Stamford Bridge for £21m last summer, but they will have to make a massive financial commitment to do so.

So you agree to buy him the following summer, for the £10 million, but you get him on loan this season.

159790[/snapback]

159792[/snapback]

Not to be a pedant but isn't £10m 8 figures?

£10M is the fee to sign him next summer. This year we would have to pay his wages (or a good portion) and as Gemmil says probably a fee too (maybe a couple of million?).

This is all of course just if we are to believe the Journal. I've seen no quotes from Chelski about this!

Newcastle United manager Glenn Roeder is continuing to keep his cards close to his chest regarding the summer's transfer spending.

The Magpies boss has failed to bring in a single new face during the close season and the Tyneside support are anxiously awaiting news of which players will be arriving at St James' Park.

However, Roeder is refusing to panic and would not even confirm an interest in Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips after being strongly linked with the former Manchester City star.

"Everyone is being taken into consideration," admitted Roeder to Sky Sports News.

"When I say everyone, everyone that I think could come to Newcastle and play at this huge club, cope with playing in front of 52,000 every other week.

"I'm certainly looking at players that are experienced and, if possible, have already played in The Premiership so I know they can perform at this level.

"I wouldn't want to be taking any chances with players we have no knowledge of - it's a recipe for disaster that, unless you're incredibly lucky."

The Newcastle boss would not comment directly on the link with Chelsea's Wright-Phillips.

"It's all speculation," he responded. "I suppose it makes good reading for all our supporters and makes them buy the paper the next morning to see who we're linked with next.

"All the names thrown in would all make very interesting Newcastle players but which ones end up here, we'll have to wait and see."

I would take him on loan for a season, but i dont think 10mill would be worth it. I think he would be playing up front though.

get him on loan with a view to spending 10m on him next season sounds fine by me, you could make a fair whack from merchandising him as he's already a house hold name and plays the kind of attractive football we crave.

£10m is still a lot of money but for a talent like this I wouldn't mind paying it, Even if all he does is get us further in European competition and 1 place further up the league, that in itself is worth a few million to the club...

totally worth it in my eyes.

Guest Fog on the Tyne
get him on loan with a view to spending 10m on him next season sounds fine by me, you could make a fair whack from merchandising him as he's already a house hold name and plays the kind of attractive football we crave.

£10m is still a lot of money but for a talent like this I wouldn't mind paying it, Even if all he does is get us further in European competition and 1 place further up the league, that in itself is worth a few million to the club...

totally worth it in my eyes.

159838[/snapback]

It's a gamble we cannot afford to take (the fee that is). What happens for example if SWP gets a serious injury and is out for nearly the entire season and we don't do aswell as the season just gone? There's a few million down the drain instantly.