United move for top targets

Guest Fog on the Tyne

Guest Fog on the Tyne

I know what you mean. Oliver is starting to piss me off more than Kieron Dyer now. In fact if Oliver said night followed day I'd be sceptical.

Newcastle United are hoping to make a break-through in the transfer market next week.

I understand United have made their moves and now they are waiting for replies, hopefully before they head off to Norway for next Saturday's InterToto Cup second leg with Lillestrom.

Glenn Roeder, his assistant Kevin Bond and chairman Freddy Shepherd have been beavering away this week in their never-ending attempt to bring new faces to St James' Park.

The United hierarchy know that the only talking point on Tyneside these days is just who or who may not be arriving at St James' Park.

Whenever I have mentioned new signings to Shepherd he has said he would wait until the dust has settled after the World Cup and that he had to stay cool, calm and focussed.

Judging by the reaction of the fans who turned out at Glenn Roeder's talk-in at Newcastle Falcons' new Hiding Place bar at Kingston Park the supporters seem to accept that there will be no big money foreign signings this season.

But when Roeder reiterated what he said in the Chronicle last night that he did not want any fat cat millionaires and only wanted players who were hungry to wear the black-and-white shirt he brought the house down.

And Roeder assured a packed house that no player would be signed before he had checked out every about him, saying: "I need to know what any new arrival has for his breakfast."

Is the bit in bold true? :( Brought the house down ffs. Easy crowd.

Guest Fog on the Tyne

That's exactly what I mean, the man's a complete fuckwit of the highest order. His patter stinks and his journalism is gash.

Proven players who can't get a game for other teams in the premiership.......Matt Jackson, Lee Carsley and Jason Euell it is then :(

I didn't realise Birmingham was a foreign country.

159847[/snapback]

If he wants to play for Ireland, he's going to have to be unfortunate enough to be classed as Irish.

That's exactly what I mean, the man's a complete fuckwit of the highest order. His patter stinks and his journalism is gash.

159827[/snapback]

Too much praise there - are you his mother? :(

Linked with ashton again this morning.

Hope we dont pay over the odds,but would be happy to see him here.  :D

160119[/snapback]

I wouldn't tbh.

Vastly overrated.

160150[/snapback]

I'm still very much undecided about him, most certainly not worth 15m though !!! :(

The problem with trying to sign Ashton is that Norwich will get something like 25% of the transfer fee so we'll have to pay over the odds for West Ham to sell.

160162[/snapback]

Right- I'm not Roeder ranting but is anyone else besides myself slightly disturbed by the fact that an ex Hammers gaffer is now wanting to buy from them for the new club? Is this the MO that we can expect?

The problem with trying to sign Ashton is that Norwich will get something like 25% of the transfer fee so we'll have to pay over the odds for West Ham to sell.

160162[/snapback]

Right- I'm not Roeder ranting but is anyone else besides myself slightly disturbed by the fact that an ex Hammers gaffer is now wanting to buy from them for the new club? Is this the MO that we can expect?

160168[/snapback]

Not really, Ashton is a good striker with the potential to get alot better, Roeder didn't exactly leave them on good terms so I can't see him doing them any favours (like Souness did with Rangers)

I was more worried that he'll try and snap up players who played for him while at West Ham - Defoe, Johnson, Kanoute etc.

Guest Fog on the Tyne

There's a pretty naff rumour on NewsNow linking us with Del Piero. Was once an exceptional footballer but it would be horrendous to see him getting his ageing body battered week in week out in the Premiership aswell as the fact he'd demand high wages.

There's a pretty naff rumour on NewsNow linking us with Del Piero. Was once an exceptional footballer but it would be horrendous to see him getting his ageing body battered week in week out in the Premiership aswell as the fact he'd demand high wages.

160174[/snapback]

This is in the News of the World as well.