The new forum - An explanation

Scottish Mag

*Warning long post*

A couple of people now have asked as to why the new board, some questioning if it was petty or to be snide towards HTT. On HTT myself and some other mods were questioned within the admin section as to what our position was regarding the boards so i thought perhaps it would only be right to post on here to let those posters questioning the decision know why too.

Yes I am apart of the new forum that has been set up, yes I am a moderator and yes I have been heavily involved in it. However before i go any further this in my opinion is not about being a rival, being sneaky or going behind anyone’s back.

Through Toon Chat I believe we had a good nucleus of not just posters but of friends, some described it as cliquey however I felt it was more of one big clique because it was not a small exclusive group it was a big one that everyone was made to feel part of, even the idiots, abusive posters, manyoo supporters, mackems etc.

The trouble unfortunately has been brewing since the merge, an alarming number of members have not been impressed by it to the extent that some of Toon Chats key contributors very rarely come on and I know of some who don’t bother with it full stop. Yes for some its silly little things that they may not like about the board but its not you just losing a poster for me I am losing some friends and I feel that as well as the lack of posting on the boards turn outs for the piss ups since the merge also backs this up.

The idea behind the rise again of Toon Chat is not to compete or as I have already seen you describe it as a "rival" board, but somewhere likeminded people can have some craic together. I don’t believe there are rivals amongst us; I don’t see Skunkers as a rival? There posters are a different breed with differing posting styles and opinions to those who you would find on howaythetoon or toonchat they simply IMO wouldn’t want to be parts of these forums so how can they be rivals.

The new forum is being created to get a nucleus of friends having a laugh together in like minded posts perhaps not to everyone’s opinions, beliefs and craic, but to toonchatters opinions, beliefs and craic.

I also use a point that you yourself HTT continually state. You believe that Howaythetoon had a superior Newcastle/Football chat section to Toon Chat, well if that is the case how the boards be rivals as many will perhaps got to one for craic and the other for a more "sensible, serious" post in which you are looking for. I personally believe if this is the case then this can only be good for the supporters of Newcastle United as they then have the option to express themselves in different manners on different boards.  Having the choice must surely benefit Joe Public more and is that not who we are catering for, not for ourselves?

As for the mod status, I didn’t think I was going to "have" to make a decision as I never felt there was going to be a conflict of interests.  I do however after seeing what’s happening here believe that maybe I should now finish up my stint in here as mod incase  there is any animosity between boards, which as I have stated don’t feel there should have to be.

I’ll try to wrap up now on what appears to be war and peace, but you wanted answers and I am trying my best to have giving them. I feel I have told you my thinking behind what is going on and once again I will reiterate the fact what is happening is not personal, nor is it for personal gain but for the posters and to try to give them what they want.

On the war and peace thing I sincerely hope that the latter is what will be used to describe the future postings on this subject and not war as we are all adults and I like to think you will have taken on board exactly what I believe is going on here, and you may actually look at the big picture and see that for the posters, who I believe we do this for, will be better off for this.

*Warning long post*

A couple of people now have asked as to why the new board, some questioning if it was petty or to be snide towards HTT.  On HTT myself and some other mods were questioned within the admin section as to what our position was regarding the boards so i thought perhaps it would only be right to post on here to let those posters questioning the decision know why too.

886[/snapback]

and people ask me why I won't volunteer to be a mod........................... :lol::lol::wink2::P:(

If you told HTT what you were doing that's fine - I just hope it wasn't sprung on him

It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out................. ;):):):)

Am I right in thinking that this is in no way a rival board though, merely just providing a choice for people?

It feels like a different atmosphere here anyway, I'm sure some will love it and some will hate it, much like Newcastle-Online.

Not speaking on behalf of Newcastle-online but the forum was just one part of that site, there was a news section that was an entity in itself and I don't see how are Forum would have any effect on that at all, I don't believe this board is a rival, its just a path of freedom for those on the Newcastle-online board that didn't feel that it was home in the sense of the original Toon-chat.

My 2 penneth,

Following the way the Newcastle-online board had started going it was felt that we needed to get back to the old days. My position as Mod on N-O was becoming untenable due to a few things and I felt it was time to move on.

Im still there (as far as I know) until they replace me, although I aint tried logging in yet! As has already been said, N-O is an entire site in itself and provides a lot more Newcastle related stuff than this little old forum can however hopefully we can get back to the good old days of Irrelevant posts and pure drivel rather than arguments and name calling as had been experienced of late.

As said, we're not planning on being a rival to Newcastle-Online, those that want to post on both are more than welcome to, I know I will, but I like to think that this here board will become home.

Welcome all.

Any toon boards are good news :angry:

1485[/snapback]

Im still not sure how I feel about this, I'm a creature of habit see. Admittedly Newcastle-online was being used too often to simply slag off other teams (ie. Everton) and in recent months opposing fans increasingly would invade, not to discuss upcoming matches but to try and start a rumble. However I'm used to hanging out there ( admittedly usually as a lurker)and would forgive its little foibles knowing the threads to steer clear of.

Im sure I could get used to this new board but what measures do you have in place to stop this place ending up the same? Are you gonna be stricter and ban more aggressive/ abusive posters? Would showing the user's post count encourage more pointless threads and trolls?

What about Phil, he introduced me to the whole message board thing years ago when i used to frequent the newsgroup. I feel kinda of dishonest to leave him, or do you think he'll understand?

oh man why do things have to change??? :razz:

What I told them:

Hi guys, I'm afraid I am part of the exodus too.

I echo the points made by by Scottish Mag, Peasepud & Jimbo in that the reasons for leaving are nothing to do with the people running the show here.

I am involved in the set-up and running of the new forum but as Ritchie stated, there was no sneaky motive behind the setup, it is simply there as an alternative to those who have longed for the craic that was on the old toon-chat/toontastic board. To be fair on more than one occasion, we've attempted to kindle that sort of atmosphere on here but it doesn't seem to last which ultimately is a shame.

Also, as has been stated already, we want to stress that this is an alternative, rather than a rival. We have no intention of creating a website, this is simply a forum. We'd prefer to been known as and friend rather than a foe (as some of the other sites seem to view this place). I for one am also pleased to see many members who have signed up for us continuing to post on here as well.

An added bonus of course is I'm on a crash learning of PHP and MySQL and I'm fast learning that it can be a nightmare. I would have written something on here earlier, but I've been juggling the fighting of some lovely teething troubles these past few days along with my regular job. As a result I've come to the conclusion that it's in the best interests of all if I relinquish my position as moderator. I simply won't have the time to offer a decent level of moderation to this place AND put my back into running Toontastic as well. I do fully intend to remain a member of the site and will add my two pennys worth from time to time.

I want to thank you guys for trusting me during my time as a moderator, it's not always been plain sailing but it's been a hell of a lot of fun.

Best of luck with the site and the new forum.

Craig

Any toon boards are good news :angry:

1485[/snapback]

2434[/snapback]

Doesn't have to change. just stay on Newcastle Online if you don't want to move.

Any toon boards are good news :(

1485[/snapback]

2434[/snapback]

I love you, HTT!

2860[/snapback]

:blush:

B)

3165[/snapback]

Bastard! You stole my responce :blush:

By the way....

:angry: phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database :blush:

Haway lads, there's nee need to be spamming the bloke's board about this place.  Whether you started the thread or not. :razz:

3268[/snapback]

I agree.

3400[/snapback]

Missed the rest of the thread did you?

It's all sorted. We know where HTT stands, he knows where we stand. The boards are not rivals for each other. People will continue to use both boards. Everyone is happy.

Any toon boards are good news :blush:

1485[/snapback]

2434[/snapback]

Doesn't have to change. just stay on Newcastle Online if you don't want to move.

2860[/snapback]

Just like you said you were going to, on the admin board, ten minutes before you signed up??????

:angry:

Any toon boards are good news :blush:

1485[/snapback]

2434[/snapback]

2860[/snapback]

Just like you said you were going to, on the admin board, ten minutes before you signed up??????

:angry:

3508[/snapback]

He signed up to try and drag members back. He's HTT's sex slave don't you know :blush: