Wireless Networks

smoggeordie

Right, we have a wireless network set up in out house, has always worked fine on all our computers until i broke my Belkin stick the other day. Wen out and got a new one yesterday, installed it and tried to connect. The stick is recognising that there is a network in our house and when I press "Connect" it says: "Acquiring network address" for a bit, presumable in an attempt to connect to the network, but then after a while it just says not connected. I've had a fiddle around and for some reason its got an ip of 0.0.0.0

i dont have a clue what to do. Can anyone help? Cheers

I also need help with my wireless network, somethjng to do woth repeaters and ip, subnet bolloecks. I'll try again tomorrow when I'm more sober. Thank you for reading.

I've got a problem with my wireless connection too.

As mentioned in another thread, I recently reformatted my computer. Since then, every 3-10 minutes I get a little balloon in the bottom right hand corner telling me that there are wireless networks available. If I ignore it thinking that I'm fine because I'm already on mine and connected to the internet, it'll cut me off. If I click on it and reconnect the internet cuts out for a few seconds before I can continue. This is a bit annoying if I'm trying to download or having a conversation on MSN.

I tried searching Google for a solution. The only one that I could find was downloading a piece of software called Boingo which would lock me into my network and ignore all the other ones floating about in the building.

There is still a problem with this. I read in another thread, perhaps a Pud post, that a good way to stop the internet destroying my computer was to set up a second account for Windows that can't install anything and only use this one to go on the internet. I've done this - when I'm on the internet account I still have the same problem of losing my network every few minutes but instead of getting the balloon, Boingo sorts it all out itself. I still have a few seconds of downtime which is still annoying. If I'm on the account with power I can stay on the internet seemingly forever but then this sort of makes the second account redundant.

What's happening ?

I had similar problems, until I got one of these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/75614

I went from struggling to get a signal to being able to pick up 4 networks from my neigbours !

162008[/snapback]

There's nothing similar for a built in card is there?

I've bought an edimax repeater but its a nightmare to setup, or more likely I'm just being very stupid.

I had similar problems, until I got one of these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/75614

I went from struggling to get a signal to being able to pick up 4 networks from my neigbours !

162008[/snapback]

There's nothing similar for a built in card is there?

I've bought an edimax repeater but its a nightmare to setup, or more likely I'm just being very stupid.

162190[/snapback]

That one replaces the usual "Rats tail" style antenna, if you haven't got an antenna socket I'm not sure what you can use.

There must be some sort of antenna - even if its just a metal strip somewhere - but if that's all there is then no wonder reception i spoor

Sounds like a poor signal to me - its dropping out and then the computer is scanning for other networks and putting up the balloon

161998[/snapback]

I don't think it's that. When I'm connected I have an excellent signal strength. Before I reformatted I didn't have this problem, which is strange.

then you've buggered up something - I presume you made a backup before reformatting? (snigger, sniggger)

People seem to reformat regularly these days - a few years back it was THE LAST THING you did - and there was a reason for it ....................

then you've buggered up something - I presume you made a backup before reformatting?  (snigger, sniggger)

People seem to reformat regularly these days - a few years back it was THE LAST THING you did  - and there was a reason for it ....................

162414[/snapback]

I backed up what I believed to be all my important documents but I didn't have enough space to keep everything (and lots of things I didn't want to keep). It didn't really occur to me to back up all my settings; I don't remember there be anything tricky to do last time. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Does anyone remember how I fixed this...? I've been fine for months but the last couple of days we've been having internet problems in the flat. Now it seems to be sorted again but I'm back to continually asking me which network I want to connect to.

Does anyone remember how I fixed this...? I've been fine for months but the last couple of days we've been having internet problems in the flat. Now it seems to be sorted again but I'm back to continually asking me which network I want to connect to.

I had something like this the other week, go to the list of networks available and tell it to only connect to the one you want, remove all others from the autoconnect list, each router will have different settings but it'll be either autoconnect or preferred networks list.

then you've buggered up something - I presume you made a backup before reformatting? (snigger, sniggger)

People seem to reformat regularly these days - a few years back it was THE LAST THING you did - and there was a reason for it ....................

Maybe because people knew fuck all about computers?

With greater advances in imaging, there's almost no point in trying to fix problem now. It's quicker to re-image the disc.

I rebuild my machines regularly, but that's mainly because I do a lot of software testing. Still, I could save myself the effort and just ask your advice on them all, right?

I'm with Gol on this one.

We use PQDI at work and create standard images for all machines in all XP & Windows 2000 before we certify the machine for use within the company.

Some niggling faults can take hours or even days to locate and resolve and it's time wasted. An 'image' takes at most around 20 mins to restore, at which point the machine is returned to 'out of the box' form with standard applications (office, acrobat reader, winzip, etc) already installed on it. It saves us valuable and expensive time and it is something which IMO is advantageous in the home computer market too.

People seem to use broadband regularly these days - a few years back NOBODY did - and there was a reason for it ............. <_<