Magpies favourites to land Saviola

Emre

Newcastle are hot favourites to land Javier Saviola after Arsenal pulled out of the running for the Barcelona forward. 

The Magpies are keen on a move for the player who has been told he can leave the Nou Camp for a fee in the region of £3.5million, but the Gunners had looked set to throw a spanner in the works for Glenn Roeder.

However, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has now come out and said he is not interested in signing the Argentina forward and that should leave the way clear for a Newcastle swoop.

Bolton are also interested but Roeder would hope he could beat off the competition from the Trotters to land the diminutive forward who impressed during the World Cup.

"We're not interested in Saviola at all. I have enough forward players," Wenger revealed. "We've bought Rosicky. We have Freddie Ljungberg, Robin van Persie, Jose Antonio Reyes, Thierry Henry, Emmanuel Adebayor, Theo Walcott, Nicklas Bendtner, Jeremie Aliadiere and Arturo Lupoli.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/news_details....&l_id=1&t_id=52

the fact that we have no one who could hit a barn door at the moment that is fit to play up front and the fact he is so cheap is a must.

I would love to see him up front and putting pressure on the wasters we have already.

hes argentinian

160686[/snapback]

spic, wop, whatever he is we don't want him imo, we only want geordies ;)

160691[/snapback]

Freddie Shepherd for the no. 9 shirt! :rolleyes:

Guest Fog on the Tyne
He could link up well with Luque if either of them plays the supporting role. Both can finish.

Would prefer to see an out and out forward mind as well as Saviola.

160737[/snapback]

Both lightweights and would be a dreadful pairing up front. Hope we don't sign Saviola.

I'd rather see us go for Diego Tristan, he's played with Luque and is linked with Celtic for £2m, surely we should be trying to get him.

Guest Fog on the Tyne
I'd rather see us go for Diego Tristan, he's played with Luque and is linked with Celtic for £2m, surely we should be trying to get him.

160793[/snapback]

Past it. He's gone downhill in the past two seasons.

160793[/snapback]

Past it. He's gone downhill in the past two seasons.

160826[/snapback]

He's past his best thats true, but I think he'd be an excellent foil for Luque, and given the funds at our disposal, it might be the kind of player we need to look at.

Guest Fog on the Tyne
He's past his best thats true, but I think he'd be an excellent foil for Luque, and given the funds at our disposal, it might be the kind of player we need to look at.

160830[/snapback]

Terrific.

160830[/snapback]

Terrific.

160836[/snapback]

You think we've got millions to spend on another Owen-like signing ?

Guest Fog on the Tyne

I wasn't referring to that - I know we have no money and that Shepherd has blown us into debt of catastrophic proportions. I was referring to the fact you admitted he's past his best but we should still take a look at him.

I wasn't referring to that - I know we have no money and that Shepherd has blown us into debt of catastrophic proportions. I was referring to the fact you admitted he's past his best but we should still take a look at him.

160842[/snapback]

I thought the rest of my post made a semi-valid reason for considering him.

Sadly I think we might have to be looking the bargain basement and the geriatrics home.

I wish it wasn't the case but I fear it is.

Guest Fog on the Tyne

Sadly I think we might have to be looking the bargain basement and the geriatrics home.

160843[/snapback]

If he's past it he's past it. A player who is past it will never be able to rekindle their earlier playing days.

As for the bargain basement; take a look at Jason Roberts to Blackburn for £2.5m. A fine bit of business by Mark Hughes - definitely not in the same class as Bellamy, but a half decent striker nonetheless.

160843[/snapback]

If he's past it he's past it. A player who is past it will never be able to rekindle their earlier playing days.

As for the bargain basement; take a look at Jason Roberts to Blackburn for £2.5m. A fine bit of business by Mark Hughes - definitely not in the same class as Bellamy, but a half decent striker nonetheless.

160847[/snapback]

True enough, lets hope Roeder has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Guest Fog on the Tyne

I very much doubt it. He has a lot to sort out first.

So many second rate players on too high of a salary and more dead wood than you can shake a stick at in the current squad, in which as a result, we are unable to sell them on to other clubs as they are unable to meet the players demands unless they take a wage drop, which is very uncommon nowadays.