England 2018

Tom_NUFC

FA considers 2018 World Cup bid

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick says that England may bid to host the 2018 World Cup after the success of the 2012 Olympics campaign.

He said: "It's right and proper for the London Olympics bid to take precedence but why wouldn't we go for it?

"I think we would bid further down the line. The next time that it should come to Europe is probably 2018 and we have got enough time to get organised."

The FA, who missed out in the 2006 bid, have yet to make any firm decisions.

Next summer's World Cup will be staged in Germany and is not expected to return to Europe for another 12 years.

England hosted the World Cup in 1966 - when the home nation won the tournament - and also staged Euro 96.

But their efforts to host the 2006 World Cup ended in failure, with the English FA accused of breaking an agreement to support Germany after they backed England's Euro 96 campaign.

Barwick, meanwhile, is hopeful that England will win next summer's World Cup.

"I see 2006 as a big year for the Football Association. Hopefully we will qualify for the World Cup and give it a real go," he said.

"If and when we qualify, we would go into the World Cup as one of the teams that can win it. It's in the right climate and the right time-zone.

"We have a very good team and are making impressions on European club football too.

"I think we've made progress as an international footballing nation and can be expected to do well. This country will come to a halt if we do."

i think itd be great if we got the 2018 world cup, its about time fifa realised that england is not the centre for crowd trouble anymore, and we are a united footballing nation capable of holding one of the biggest global sporting events to the highest degree.

I think if we'd missed out on the Olympics we'd have stood a chance as it's unlikely the two biggest sporting events in the world would be given to one country in such a small space of time. (although the USA got the '94 World Cup and then the '96 Olympics so you never know).

We have the stadiums - Wembley (if its finished by then), the new Arsenal, Villa, Wednesday, Manu, ManCity, SoP, SJP

What we have to avoid are those shirkers in Scotland and Wales trying to muscle in when it suits them................................

I think if we'd missed out on the Olympics we'd have stood a chance as it's unlikely the two biggest sporting events in the world would be given to one country in such a small space of time. (although the USA got the '94 World Cup and then the '96 Olympics so you never know).

13197[/snapback]

That shouldn't make a difference. I point to.....

1968 Olympics - held in Mexico City, followed by the 1970 World Cup, held in Mexico.

Munich staged the 1972 Olympics. In 1974 West Germany hosted the World Cup.

The 1994 World Cup was in the USA, and the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

In all those cases the Olympics and World Cup were held in the same countries, just two years apart.

The London Olympics in 2012 and the 2018 World Cup are 6 years apart.

13197[/snapback]

That shouldn't make a difference. I point to.....

1968 Olympics - held in Mexico City, followed by the 1970 World Cup, held in Mexico.

Munich staged the 1972 Olympics. In 1974 West Germany hosted the World Cup.

The 1994 World Cup was in the USA, and the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

In all those cases the Olympics and World Cup were held in the same countries, just two years apart.

The London Olympics in 2012 and the 2018 World Cup are 6 years apart.

13694[/snapback]

Aye, but that was before this "one World Cup per continent" rotation thing came into place.

Also, FIFA and the IOC have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

13706[/snapback]

In many countries the fat cats who run football are the same as the ones who leech off the Olympic committees

Also, FIFA and the IOC have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

13706[/snapback]

In many countries the fat cats who run football are the same as the ones who leech off the Olympic committees

13767[/snapback]

I suppose that's going to be the case in smaller countries. Do both organisations have a one member, one vote system? I think FIFA does.