Toon back in for Anelka

Scottish Mag

Aug 16 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United have moved back in for French international striker Nicolas Anelka.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd has acted quickly after hearing reports from Turkey of Anelka's bust-up with the Fenerbahce bench after being substituted five minutes before the interval at the weekend.

And my information is that Shepherd is ready to fly to a halfway point between Newcastle and Istanbul tomorrow to talk to Fenerbahce officials.

The only thing to glean from this is that Anelka, who wants to come to St James' Park, is now forcing Fenerbahce's hand - something United's other top target Luis Boa Morte has failed to do at Fulham.

Fenerbahce actually sent United a letter last week asking them to back off over their bid to sign Anelka and threatened that they would report them to FIFA for making an illegal approach.

But now it appears that the Turkish outfit have had a change of heart and if they are willing to let Anelka go for slightly more than the £4.5m they paid for him in January then the French international could be in a black-and-white shirt by the time West Ham come to St James' Park on Saturday.

That is more than can be said about Boa Morte as Fulham are now digging their heels in harder than ever.

Indeed, Fulham boss Chris Coleman said: "Newcastle haven't come anywhere near meeting our asking price for Boa.

"The deadline is now up because we cannot sell one of our best players. Everybody has his price but each week there is another million on Boa's head, as far as I am concerned.

"Even if Newcastle were to offer £10m for him I would have to go out and find a replacement and it is too late for that."

Both Shepherd and Graeme Souness were encouraged by United's plucky show at Highbury on Sunday and they both believe that the acquisition of two players like Anelka and Boa Morte would turn them into contenders for a Champions League place.

They are also aware that Tottenham, and perhaps Arsenal, are still keen to sign Jermaine Jenas but it's becoming more likely that United won't be taking striker Robbie Keane as part of an exchange deal.

Souness admires Keane's goalscoring abilities but he would prefer the pace and power Anelka and Boa Morte would give him up front.

Aug 16 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United have moved back in for French international striker Nicolas Anelka.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd has acted quickly after hearing reports from Turkey of Anelka's bust-up with the Fenerbahce bench after being substituted five minutes before the interval at the weekend.

And my information is that Shepherd is ready to fly to a halfway point between Newcastle and Istanbul tomorrow to talk to Fenerbahce officials.

The only thing to glean from this is that Anelka, who wants to come to St James' Park, is now forcing Fenerbahce's hand - something United's other top target Luis Boa Morte has failed to do at Fulham.

Fenerbahce actually sent United a letter last week asking them to back off over their bid to sign Anelka and threatened that they would report them to FIFA for making an illegal approach.

But now it appears that the Turkish outfit have had a change of heart and if they are willing to let Anelka go for slightly more than the £4.5m they paid for him in January then the French international could be in a black-and-white shirt by the time West Ham come to St James' Park on Saturday.

That is more than can be said about Boa Morte as Fulham are now digging their heels in harder than ever.

Indeed, Fulham boss Chris Coleman said: "Newcastle haven't come anywhere near meeting our asking price for Boa.

"The deadline is now up because we cannot sell one of our best players. Everybody has his price but each week there is another million on Boa's head, as far as I am concerned.

"Even if Newcastle were to offer £10m for him I would have to go out and find a replacement and it is too late for that."

Both Shepherd and Graeme Souness were encouraged by United's plucky show at Highbury on Sunday and they both believe that the acquisition of two players like Anelka and Boa Morte would turn them into contenders for a Champions League place.

They are also aware that Tottenham, and perhaps Arsenal, are still keen to sign Jermaine Jenas but it's becoming more likely that United won't be taking striker Robbie Keane as part of an exchange deal.

Souness admires Keane's goalscoring abilities but he would prefer the pace and power Anelka and Boa Morte would give him up front.

12863[/snapback]

Alan oliver's bored then!

Thing is, we need him.

He's a top player  ( different class to Keane ) and it'll be interesting to see how Souness 'manages' him if he comes here.

12989[/snapback]

I agree with that, but I fully expect Souness to manage him car crash stylee...

Thing is, we need him.

He's a top player  ( different class to Keane ) and it'll be interesting to see how Souness 'manages' him if he comes here.

12989[/snapback]

12990[/snapback]

we simply can't afford to be picky now. we need a striker with pace that can get in behind defencea and score goals. le sulk fits the bill....even if he is a moody cnut

Thing is, we need him.

12989[/snapback]

12990[/snapback]

we simply can't afford to be picky now. we need a striker with pace that can get in behind defencea and score goals. le sulk fits the bill....even if he is a moody cnut

13043[/snapback]

I agree, he's by far our best realistic target.

His recent actions seem to be based upon him wanting to come here which is great for us. Until he does the same to us when he decides he wants to go elswhere!

Thing is, we need him.

12989[/snapback]

12990[/snapback]

13043[/snapback]

His recent actions seem to be based upon him wanting to come here which is great for us. Until he does the same to us when he decides he wants to go elswhere!

13053[/snapback]

Like he did at nearly every other club so far...

Edited by Isegrim

Thing is, we need him.

12989[/snapback]

12990[/snapback]

13043[/snapback]

13053[/snapback]

13066[/snapback]

Isn't that what all players do - Stay at a club until they want to move?

Seems reasonable to me. :D

Thing is, we need him.

12989[/snapback]

12990[/snapback]

13043[/snapback]

13053[/snapback]

13066[/snapback]

Isn't that what all players do - Stay at a club until they want to move?

Seems reasonable to me. :D

13076[/snapback]

Depends, if you are changing clubs more often than Gemmill his underpants then I would touch neither with a barge pole...