Winger keen on United

Scottish Mag

Shaun Wright-Phillips still favours a move to Newcastle United even though Chelsea are mulling over the possibility of using him as bait to lure Ashley Cole away from Arsenal.

Wright-Phillips, like fellow Newcastle transfer target Darren Bent, has told friends he would relish the opportunity to re-launch his career at St James's Park after a disastrous move to Stamford Bridge just 12 months ago.

But, as in the case of Charlton's Bent, Roeder is unlikely to know whether he has the money needed to bring the former Manchester City star to the North-East until after the second leg of United's Intertoto Cup tie with Lillestr?m - and the delay may open the door to other admirers.

Rumours were circulating yesterday that the Magpies are due to unveil their first summer signing before they fly to Norway tomorrow, but nobody at the club was able to confirm a deal was that close to completion last night.

In the meantime, sources in London have suggested that Chelsea, who are still keen to offload Wright-Phillips, despite the proposed transfer of Damien Duff to Tottenham Hotspur, are about to offer the 24-year-old to London rivals Arsenal.

The Gunners embarked on a long pursuit of the England international two years ago and were thought to be the preferred choice of the midfielder - the step-son of the former Highbury favourite Ian Wright - only for Chelsea's Jose Mourinho to price them out of the race for his signature with a massive £21m bid. Cynics have suggested the Chelsea manager only bought the winger to ensure Arsenal did not get him.

But it seems the Portuguese could now be willing to allow him to move to the Emirates Stadium if it helps him get England left-back Cole.

Chelsea were fined by the Football Association for attempting to secretly sign Cole while he was still under contract at Arsenal and Mourinho has openly admitted his admiration for a player many feel is the best in the world in his position.

Chelsea are in the market for a left-back with Spain defender Asier Del Horno expected to secure his return to La Liga after just one season by joining Valencia this week.

Arsene Wenger is determined not to sell Cole, but may still be forced to give up the player and could be tempted by the offer of Wright-Phillips.

That would inevitably be a set back for Newcastle. Unlike the Magpies, Arsenal can offer Champions League football to a player who is desperate to force his way back into the England squad.

And it would also mean he could remain in the capital and avoid the disruption of a second move in as many years.

Wright-Phillips is available on loan, as long as a permanent £10m deal is completed in 12 months time.

But Chelsea would prefer to receive the money immediately, something which could also favour the Gunners should they rekindle their interest in the player.

Meanwhile, another Newcastle transfer target Dirk Kuyt has announced he will make a decision about his future at Feyenoord in the next few days.

Roeder revealed his admiration for the Dutch international before the World Cup.

But United's interest was thought to have cooled after the 25-year-old failed to shine in Germany.

Newcastle's new manager has also made much of his desire to sign players with Premiership experience in recent weeks, although Kuyt could yet prove to be an exception.

Liverpool are also understood to be interested in a player who has scored 96 league goals in three years at the Rotterdam club.

Oliver is really digging his heels in on SWP isn't he? ;)

160926[/snapback]

To the point of almost suggesting that his dream move to Newcastle is being scuppered by that dastardly Portugueser insisting that he go to Arsenal instead. :rolleyes:

If there's any truth in the Arsenal link, and the claims that SWP was resigning himself to coming to Newcastle, he must feel like he's just received a death row pardon.

Milner was linked as makeshit in a move for a player you would love to see in a toon shirt brock, Ashton.  ;)

160925[/snapback]

I know. :rolleyes:

Don't come crying to me when he's shit.

160942[/snapback]

I would be happy with him but i dont think we will get him for a good price. :P

Milner was linked as makeshit in a move for a player you would love to see in a toon shirt brock, Ashton.  ;)

160925[/snapback]

I know. :P

160942[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

160925[/snapback]

160942[/snapback]

160944[/snapback]

The only good price is under 2 million.

160925[/snapback]

160942[/snapback]

160944[/snapback]

160953[/snapback]

Why?

160925[/snapback]

160942[/snapback]

I would be happy with him but i dont think we will get him for a good price. :rolleyes:

160944[/snapback]

160953[/snapback]

Why?

160954[/snapback]

He isn't worth more. Simple. There are better players in the championship for that sort of fee, without getting rid of one of our only potential players. FACT-I'MGOINGONHOLIDAYRIGHTNOW. :rolleyes:

We're strapped for cash, need at least 5/6 players, Mido's reportedly off to Blackburn for 3m, Saviola available for 3.5m, dont want any players on loan from relegated Italian clubs but yet we'll go and blow 10 on Ashton (who I do actually rate). FFS!

Is Ashton represented by Pro active by any chance?

Edited by luckypierre

160925[/snapback]

160942[/snapback]

I would be happy with him but i dont think we will get him for a good price. :rolleyes:

160944[/snapback]

160953[/snapback]

Why?

160954[/snapback]

He isn't worth more. Simple. There are better players in the championship for that sort of fee, without getting rid of one of our only potential players. FACT-I'MGOINGONHOLIDAYRIGHTNOW. :rolleyes:

160955[/snapback]

I'd like to see your definition of a quality player Brock if you don't rate Ashton.