Toon contemplate £10m Ashton raid

Craig

Newcastle are preparing to launch a sensational £10million-plus bid to lure West Ham hitman Dean Ashton to St James' Park.

Glenn Roeder is feverishly searching for a replacement for the retired Alan Shearer and the former Norwich striker is seen as the ideal replacement.

The Magpies are desperately short of cover with the season under five weeks away.

With Michael Owen injured, Shola Ameobi is the only fit first-team striker on the books, and he has been plagued by hip problems. Albert Luque started and scored against Lillestrom in the Intertoto Cup on Saturday, but he was partnered by midfielder James Milner, with Ameobi only fit enough to play a substitute's role.

It's understood the Magpies have made an enquiry about the Hammers' 22-year-old record buy - who cost them £7.25m.

Alan Pardew is keen to keep hold of the man who made such a big impact at Upton Park since his arrival in January - scoring six goals.

But Newcastle are determined to add Ashton to their ranks and could be persuaded to go up and above the £10million mooted fee.

Source: http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...1347426,00.html

I thought that said completed! ;)

He is only 22, Has proven that he can score in the prem with teams that are not really doing well.

Also he has moved about three times in the last 2 years he might be looking to settle down at west ham for a while.

Edited by khay

He's not worth £10m

160964[/snapback]

Perhaps not but Talksport hit the nail on the head on Sunday when Ray Houghton (I think) pointed out that we desperately needed strikers and other clubs were well aware of this and therefore will hold us to ransom.

I think he is a quality player and yes, £10m is too much for him...

However, I think we're shafted on this one at the moment - we need a striker badly and they know that hence the price gets hiked!

I'm not convinced he's worth £10m, but for West Ham, who no doubt would rather keep him, are obviously going to want a fee on the north side of the £6m they paid Norwich for him.

He's not worth £10m

160964[/snapback]

Perhaps not but Talksport hit the nail on the head on Sunday when Ray Houghton (I think) pointed out that we desperately needed strikers and other clubs were well aware of this and therefore will hold us to ransom.

160965[/snapback]

More mismanagement from the board room, utterly predictable and completely avoidable.

Buying Ashton at this fee would mean spending about half our ST revenue on him; and that's before we take into account his wages. Surely we can't afford this? Maybe, just maybe, we should have invested in a manager who can work on a budget instead? ;)

He's not worth £10m

160964[/snapback]

160965[/snapback]

More mismanagement from the board room, utterly predictable and completely avoidable.

Buying Ashton at this fee would mean spending about half our ST revenue on him; and that's before we take into account his wages. Surely we can't afford this? Maybe, just maybe, we should have invested in a manager who can work on a budget instead? ;)

160974[/snapback]

I think that's an impossible task given that we need strikers. Fair enough to have a pop at the board but I don't think you can blame Roeder in this instance. Especially as I don't think the SJP crowd would accept the sort of planks you'd get for a lot less. I think I'd rather have someone like Ashton, even if he will cost a fair whack of our budget. Hopefully, if we did sign him, Milner going the other way would offset the fee by around £3million.

Which manager did you have in mind btw?

He's not worth £10m

160964[/snapback]

160965[/snapback]

Buying Ashton at this fee would mean spending about half our ST revenue on him; and that's before we take into account his wages. Surely we can't afford this? Maybe, just maybe, we should have invested in a manager who can work on a budget instead? :rolleyes:

160974[/snapback]

Given what we saw on Saturday, can we afford not to buy a striker? ;)

He's not worth £10m

160964[/snapback]

160965[/snapback]

160974[/snapback]

I think that's an impossible task given that we need strikers. Fair enough to have a pop at the board but I don't think you can blame Roeder in this instance. Especially as I don't think the SJP crowd would accept the sort of planks you'd get for a lot less. I think I'd rather have someone like Ashton, even if he will cost a fair whack of our budget. Hopefully, if we did sign him, Milner going the other way would offset the fee by around £3million.

160979[/snapback]

It's that part of the deal that stinks. True, we can't afford to throw that sort of money around any more, but getting rid of that lad seems daft. What happens when Solano gets injured?

Guest Fog on the Tyne
I'm with Sandy on this one - I'd rather we kept a hold of Milner...

160986[/snapback]

In all fairness, he's nothing special.. yet.

He's not worth £10m

160964[/snapback]

160965[/snapback]

160974[/snapback]

160979[/snapback]

I agree we need a striker, I was just commenting on the fact that yet again we have made ourselves desperately short in a particular position (this time a striker, two years ago a centre back) and we are going to get shafted as a result. I'm not blaming Roeder, I think this problem should have been anticipated and avoided by the board.

I don't intend to get into an argument about who we should have got as manager at this point - my choce was well documented and if he doesn't want to come to a club as big as ours then yet again I blame the board's incompetence in making us such an unattractive proposition. Regardless, Roeder would not be in my top 10 choices.

It was on the radio today that Liverpool are putting a bid in for Kuyt, so they may well end up with two top class strikers while we are paying 10 million for Ashton. I'm sure no-one needs reminding that only 3 years ago we were on a par with them - now look at our repective positions and squads. Sorry for being my usual depressing self, but I don't think I'll be getting much pleasure from football this year.

As for even affording Aston, personally I doubt we can afford him. This club is well and truely in the clarts now as far as money goes, and every year we see a fall in revenue accompanied by an ever growing wage bill by sick notes that don't even play for us. Couple this with a phenominal debt, and I'd say the future does not look too rosey.

Do people want to keep Milner in the same way that they wanted to keep Viana. ie, "just in case" he comes good?

In my opinion we should have gone for Mido, but the more strikers we let go to other clubs (we turned our noses up at one-season wonder Yakubu didn't we, as well as seeing Pompey make an official bid for Anelka now) the more we'll end up paying for anyone else.

we're desperate for strikers, yes, why do we have to blow the majority of our budget on one player? Theres comparable quality available for much less.

as well as being desperate for strikers I'd say we're also (is there any time that we havent been?) desperate for two decent fullbacks too.

Edited by luckypierre

He's not worth £10m

160964[/snapback]

160965[/snapback]

160974[/snapback]

160979[/snapback]

I agree we need a striker, I was just commenting on the fact that yet again we have made ourselves desperately short in a particular position (this time a striker, two years ago a centre back) and we are going to get shafted as a result. I'm not blaming Roeder, I think this problem should have been anticipated and avoided by the board.

I don't intend to get into an argument about who we should have got as manager at this point - my choce was well documented and if he doesn't want to come to a club as big as ours then yet again I blame the board's incompetence in making us such an unattractive proposition. Regardless, Roeder would not be in my top 10 choices.

It was on the radio today that Liverpool are putting a bid in for Kuyt, so they may well end up with two top class strikers while we are paying 10 million for Ashton. I'm sure no-one needs reminding that only 3 years ago we were on a par with them - now look at our repective positions and squads. Sorry for being my usual depressing self, but I don't think I'll be getting much pleasure from football this year.

As for even affording Aston, personally I doubt we can afford him. This club is well and truely in the clarts now as far as money goes, and every year we see a fall in revenue accompanied by an ever growing wage bill by sick notes that don't even play for us. Couple this with a phenominal debt, and I'd say the future does not look too rosey.

160994[/snapback]

Fair do's mate, I wasn't trying to be clever or owt. I forgot you were pro-MON. He would have been my choice too of those we realisticallycould have got. I agree about our not being able to afford him too and I share your grave concerns about the future. I can't see where the goals are going to come from and we aren't exactly water-tight at the other end. Worrying times indeed.

we're desperate for strikers, yes, why do we have to blow the majority of our budget on one player? Theres comparable quality available for much less.

as well as being desperate for strikers I'd say we're also (is there any time that we havent been?) desperate for two decent fullbacks too.

160999[/snapback]

It's a little confusing that we've turned down the hypothetical chance of signing Roberts, Mido, Anelka, Hasselbaink et al; but does that surprise you about this current board.

Obviously none of the above are England internationals which will keep us as one of the top 5 most successful clubs the world has ever seen.

160999[/snapback]

Agree. For 10 million, you should expect something more than Aston. We need to build a squad up and have cover for inevitable injuries too (in all positions), not spend our entire budget on one player.

Regarding Milner, I was under the impression he was player of the year in an admittedly poor Villa team last year, much like Solano before him. Am I wrong about this?

160999[/snapback]

Agree. For 10 million, you should expect something more than Aston. We need to build a squad up and have cover for inevitable injuries too (in all positions), not spend our entire budget on one player.

Regarding Milner, I was under the impression he was player of the year in an admittedly poor Villa team last year, much like Solano before him. Am I wrong about this?

161005[/snapback]

Sounds about right, but Roeder has said that Milner has a big future here, but then again he's said plenty so far with little end product.

160999[/snapback]

161005[/snapback]

I think the problem with Milner now is due to the season he had last year, the fans now expect too much of him already and are expecting a whole new Milner to the one we seen two years ago, and if he isn't firing on all cylinders straight away we're going to get back to the same old same old regarding Milner, thus leading to his confidence being shot again.