Toon contemplate £10m Ashton raid

Craig

I know a Villa fan last year and he said Milner did well but wasn't convinced about him. He certainly played better than he did here though. My view is he hasn't got enough about him - lack of pace, not having a 'trick', not a great crosser, etc. Hope I'm wrong though (if he stays).

we're desperate for strikers, yes, why do we have to blow the majority of our budget on one player? Theres comparable quality available for much less.

as well as being desperate for strikers I'd say we're also (is there any time that we havent been?) desperate for two decent fullbacks too.

160999[/snapback]

Agree. For 10 million, you should expect something more than Aston. We need to build a squad up and have cover for inevitable injuries too (in all positions), not spend our entire budget on one player.

Regarding Milner, I was under the impression he was player of the year in an admittedly poor Villa team last year, much like Solano before him. Am I wrong about this?

161005[/snapback]

I like Ashton and tbh 10m probably isnt that ridiculous an amount for him considering what other young English, Premiership strikers are valued at. I just think , like the Owen transfer last year, its a deal the club cant afford. The money would be better spent across the whole team

Edited by luckypierre

The problem is he's a young lad on the verge of the national team who's only recently gone to West Ham (and done well) for between £6m & £7.5.

Positive big money move + long term contract (I assume) + good performances = £10m + whether we like it or not (especially as it's well known we're shafted for strikers at at the moment.

I don't think it's good value for money but that's the position we're in if we want a decent striker and we're not prepared to take a gamble on players with a questionable attitude (Anelka, Mido).

Whether or not we can afford him is certainly up for question but we certainly can't afford to go with what we have and on that basis I would be happy for us to sign him and would accept Milner going as part of the deal.

I agree not going for JFH makes no sense at all!

Edited by David Kelly

How many clubs has Ashton had recently?  Isnt there some block on changing clubs in a certain amount of time?

161027[/snapback]

That rule doesn't mean anything.

161030[/snapback]

It does, it means you can't move clubs in your first year of contract.

Not sure if it counts in Ashton's case as his transfer wasn't between premiership clubs.

How many clubs has Ashton had recently?  Isnt there some block on changing clubs in a certain amount of time?

161027[/snapback]

That rule doesn't mean anything.

161030[/snapback]

What is it for then? There is one I take it?

I'm with Sandy on this one - I'd rather we kept a hold of Milner...

160986[/snapback]

In all fairness, he's nothing special.. yet.

160993[/snapback]

He's better than having no cover at all!

160986[/snapback]

160993[/snapback]

161041[/snapback]

Dyer? SWP? ;)

as well as being desperate for strikers I'd say we're also (is there any time that we havent been?) desperate for two decent fullbacks too.

160999[/snapback]

Hell yes! We're going to get ripped apart this season if we continue with those two. Wasn't there a rumour we were going to go for Wayne Bridge at one point?

It does, it means you can't move clubs in your first year of contract.

Not sure if it counts in Ashton's case as his transfer wasn't between premiership clubs.

161032[/snapback]

Yeah, but there's always ways to get round that rule. Hamann signed a contract with Bolton didn't he?

160986[/snapback]

160993[/snapback]

161041[/snapback]

Dyer? SWP? ;)

161043[/snapback]

Injured & Not our player (at the moment). Hence, no cover at all...

160986[/snapback]

160993[/snapback]

161041[/snapback]

Dyer? SWP? ;)

161043[/snapback]

Injured & Not our player (at the moment). Hence, no cover at all...

161047[/snapback]

Missed the wink?

SWP I just dont fancy in a Toon shirt for some reason. But like whats been said, would rather have a fit player with pace and no end product (SWP) than someone of the same thats on the Physio table all the time.

SWP I just dont fancy in a Toon shirt for some reason.  But like whats been said, would rather have a fit player with pace and no end product (SWP) than someone of the same  thats on the Physio table all the time.

161053[/snapback]

I'm not his biggest fan either, but did you actually see him play for Man City? No end product???

SWP I just dont fancy in a Toon shirt for some reason.  But like whats been said, would rather have a fit player with pace and no end product (SWP) than someone of the same  thats on the Physio table all the time.

161053[/snapback]

I'm not his biggest fan either, but did you actually see him play for Man City? No end product???

161054[/snapback]

OK A little harsh there. Little end product. His game againts us in the final game of the season I wasnt scared at all of him. Step overs and then *poof* we have the ball. Maybe a run in a team is all he needs?

Anyway, like I say, better than Dyer.

Does anyone get the impression that this is just yet another total load of shite that will dissapear in a couple of days when Roeder denies it? You get the feeling there's going to be no fucker half decent coming here this summer.

Does anyone get the impression that this is just yet another total load of shite that will dissapear in a couple of days when Roeder denies it? You get the feeling there's going to be no fucker half decent coming here this summer.

161074[/snapback]

Yes and Oliver has already paved the way for the denial/blaming Duff to Spurs for it not happening.

West Ham United boss Alan Pardew has rejected reports linking Dean Ashton with a move away from Upton Park.

Reports have suggested that Newcastle United are lining up a move for Ashton, as they look to find a replacement for Alan Shearer.

Ashton only joined The Hammers from Norwich City in January and he impressed during his first six months at the club. Pardew has moved to reject the rumours regarding Ashton and insists the player is going nowhere.

"There is no truth in it whatsoever," Pardew told the London Evening Standard.

"Dean has settled in well at the club and has just bought a house. I can guarantee he will be going nowhere."

Meanwhile, West Ham have been given permission to take Ghana defender John Painstil on their tour of Sweden.

The Hammers are leading the chase to sign the full back after he impressed during Ghana's successful World Cup campaign.

Hapoel Tel Aviv have allowed Painstil to link up with West Ham before they head out to Sweden for their three-match tour on Wednesday.

Painstil will train with West Ham in Sweden so that Pardew can cast an eye over him before deciding whether or not to pursue his interest in the defender.