No go Defoe

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United have cooled their interest in Spurs and England striker Jermain Defoe.

And they have moved aside to let Liverpool sign Feyenoord's Dutch World Cup striker Dirk Kuyt for around £10m.

But I still expect Glenn Roeder to have two new strikers in his side by the time Wigan come to St James' Park for the Premiership opener on August 19.

However, despite reports to the contrary today, United have not bid for West Ham striker Dean Ashton and have no intention of doing so.

Both Roeder and Freddy Shepherd are fully aware that United need to add to their squad - but the manager will not sign any player just for the sake of signing him.

He knows his predecessors have made big mistakes in the transfer market, especially Graeme Souness who spent heavily on Jean Alain Boumsong, Albert Luque and Amady Faye, none of whom will be in Roeder's starting line-up against Wigan Athletic.

And Roeder also knows that the chances of United getting Shaun Wright-Phillips on loan from Chelsea have receded rapidly with the impending move of Damian Duff to Spurs.

I understand that United are ready to forget all about the England winger and look elsewhere.

But that will not be to White Hart Lane, even though Defoe looks to be well down the pecking order as far as the Spurs strikers is concerned.

Defoe, of course, played under Roeder at West Ham and the United boss knows all there is to know about the little striker.

My view is that Defoe is a bit lightweight and he is a Cockney who may prefer to stay in London.

You could not call Ashton a lightweight, but his lack of pace means that he is not a striker United are looking at.

At no time on Saturday did United really get behind the heart of the Lillestrom defence and Roeder is looking for the type of striker who can do that.

It's frustrating for the United supporters who are understandably impatient for new signings.

But at least the fans can rest assured that Roeder, with not that much money at hs disposal, is doing things in the right manner.

"He knows his predecessors have made big mistakes in the transfer market, especially Graeme Souness who spent heavily on Jean Alain Boumsong, Albert Luque and Amady Faye, none of whom will be in Roeder's starting line-up against Wigan Athletic."

So it doesn't actually matter what players do in pre-season then. Luque may as well just go back to Spain now.

Mikey Bridges is currently having an Indian Summer at Carlisle and was subject to a £250,000 bid from Darlo last week (which was turned down). Found his level to be fair, although you get the impression Oliver would love him to come back and lead the forward line ffs.

It's frustrating for the United supporters who are understandably impatient for new signings.

But at least the fans can rest assured that Roeder, with not that much money at hs disposal, is doing things in the right manner.

161046[/snapback]

Yes I'm over fucking whelmed at how yet again we are going to blow qualification into a European competiton because we haven't got our squad sorted out quickly enough.

"He knows his predecessors have made big mistakes in the transfer market, especially Graeme Souness who spent heavily on Jean Alain Boumsong, Albert Luque and Amady Faye, none of whom will be in Roeder's starting line-up against Wigan Athletic."

So it doesn't actually matter what players do in pre-season then. Luque may as well just go back to Spain now.

161057[/snapback]

exactly. why should luque be motivated when he reads stuff like this in the press? ok you scored, doesn't matter how well you play you're not going to start in the league.

161057[/snapback]

exactly. why should luque be motivated when he reads stuff like this in the press? ok you scored, doesn't matter how well you play you're not going to start in the league.

161080[/snapback]

Hardly an excuse, he's never looked motivated.

Luque no speak the English, remember?

;)

161085[/snapback]

luque, no estaras en el primer equipo por el primer partido de la temporada contra Wigan. Eso ha dicho Alan Oliver, un periodista de mierda.

now he can read it and understand.

;)

161085[/snapback]

luque, no estaras en el primer equipo por el primer partido de la temporada contra Wigan. Eso ha dicho Alan Oliver, un periodista de mierda.

161109[/snapback]

What's "un periodista de mierda"?

Nothing uncomplimentary I hope!

:rolleyes:

161085[/snapback]

161109[/snapback]

What's "un periodista de mierda"?

Nothing uncomplimentary I hope!

161111[/snapback]

I'm no Spanish-speaker, but at a guess I'd say it's along the lines of "piece-o'-shit journo hack" ;)