Migraines

Hatful Of Hollow

Migraleaves are pretty effective if you take them as soon as you feel one coming on.

My GP prescribed Amitriptyline as a prevention rather than cure approach, but they made me feel that flat I stopped taking them.

161836[/snapback]

bump

I think you can get these without a prescription now - you still have to sign some form tho'.........................

Migraleve and Imagren are the things - butthey can leave you "flat" as the good Dr says

180513[/snapback]

Migraleve has been available over the counter for years now - it's basically just paracetamol, codeine and an anti-sickness drug (anti-emetic).

Imigram is sumatriptan and I believe in the past month or so it has become available without prescription - very effective for acute attacks.

However, amitriptyline is not and never will be available without a prescription. As has been said it's an antidepressant but the evidence for its effectiveness in migraine is sketchy - you must have been bad for the doctor to put you on it. It's pretty much fatal in overdose too.

Used to think "what load of whinging about a headache" - until I got a few. They're horrible, even after it goes away it feels like your brain has been bruised for a few days after.

They're pretty rare for me (touches wood). Like people have said I sense when they are coming on, drink plenty of water and avoid bright light sources - I used to find being in a gloomy office with bright sunshine coming through the windows was bad.

Migraleive if in doubt and Imagram if I could feel one coming on.

Migraleaves are pretty effective if you take them as soon as you feel one coming on.

My GP prescribed Amitriptyline as a prevention rather than cure approach, but they made me feel that flat I stopped taking them.

161836[/snapback]

bump

I think you can get these without a prescription now - you still have to sign some form tho'.........................

Migraleve and Imagren are the things - butthey can leave you "flat" as the good Dr says

180513[/snapback]

Migraleve has been available over the counter for years now - it's basically just paracetamol, codeine and an anti-sickness drug (anti-emetic).

Imigram is sumatriptan and I believe in the past month or so it has become available without prescription - very effective for acute attacks.

However, amitriptyline is not and never will be available without a prescription. As has been said it's an antidepressant but the evidence for its effectiveness in migraine is sketchy - you must have been bad for the doctor to put you on it. It's pretty much fatal in overdose too.

180589[/snapback]

I was on a low dose (25mg). I think something like 150mg was the dose for depression, although I don't think they prescribe it very often these days.

It used to make me extremely thirsty too.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• 5 months later...

Thought i'd got over my migraine problems a few months ago, but i've had two in the last few days, firstly last Sunday when I was at the pub watching the Arse/Man Utd match, wasn't the worst i've had but had to rest in a dark room for a while. Got another one today which was far worse, tried to go to sleep but couldn't because of the pain.

Saw MigraLeaves mentioned earlier, a google search brought up one result, this thread :D, then saw that they were actually called Migraleve, are they worth getting if the problems persist?

Thought i'd got over my migraine problems a few months ago, but i've had two in the last few days, firstly last Sunday when I was at the pub watching the Arse/Man Utd match, wasn't the worst i've had but had to rest in a dark room for a while. Got another one today which was far worse, tried to go to sleep but couldn't because of the pain.

Saw MigraLeaves mentioned earlier, a google search brought up one result, this thread <_<, then saw that they were actually called Migraleve, are they worth getting if the problems persist?

They're good.

They just make you pass out. :D

Saw MigraLeaves mentioned earlier, a google search brought up one result, this thread :D, then saw that they were actually called Migraleve, are they worth getting if the problems persist?

<_< Apolgies for the extra vowel.

They do work pretty well, I'd give them a try.

I get stotting headaches now and again (not sure what the difference is between a incredibly bad headache and and a migraine) one was so bad i was vomiting.

best way i found to deal with them is to always drink plenty of water, take a painkiller at the earliest possible opportunity when i feel one coming on.

i also kip on the side of my head that hurts - ie if its the right hand side of me heed that knacks i sleep on my right side.

I get stotting headaches now and again (not sure what the difference is between a incredibly bad headache and and a migraine) one was so bad i was vomiting.

best way i found to deal with them is to always drink plenty of water, take a painkiller at the earliest possible opportunity when i feel one coming on.

i also kip on the side of my head that hurts - ie if its the right hand side of me heed that knacks i sleep on my right side.

used to geth them awful.

The worst one i ever had is when i didnt know what its was.

My vision was all of the shop, my hands were numb and my head was killing.

I couldnt speak - i was 15 wandering around in Durham.;

Every time i passed a friend i was shit scared and tried to explain but it just came out 'mmghghgh'.

I collapsed in Durham park and was sick - the sick that came out was bright pink ffs!!

I tried to get the bus home- couldnt see - covered in pink sick - i asked a woman to let me off an my stop - '''Mmghghghgh shhttp''

I passed out on the bus and woke up in stanlwy - ages from home - having never been there before - i was wandering round like a mad man - i could even get my bag off my back without spazzing about - then i was crying hyterically being 15 i wasnt that hard like - or not in that situation.

I ended up finding a phone box and rang home about a thousand times describing where i was - what i could see of it - ended up getting to a doctor - filled with pills and jammed in my room spewing everywhere

The pills they gave me were so strong that i pretty much passed out

I think u had a headache

it works but it just makes you fel as if you'r brainhas been wiped - god knows what the long term effects are

Well it's been used for over 15 years now with no known long-term effects over this time, which is why it is now available OTC. The effect you describe could be down to the Migraine itself, usually masked by pain and nausea.