Roeder cool on transfers

Jimbo

The 50-year-old has spent much of the summer searching for the men he needs to strengthen his squad, and in particular, a replacement for retired skipper Alan Shearer.

Michael Owen's injury disaster has made the recruitment of a top-class frontman - and possibly two - all the more important, although to date, progress has been slow.

The Magpies have been linked with a lengthy list of potential targets, particularly in attack.

Ruud van Nistelrooy seems certain to secure a future elsewhere, while Roeder's interest in both Dirk Kuyt and Jermain Defoe has cooled, and he has been warned off Darren Bent.

Reports have also linked Newcastle with a big money bid for West Ham's Dean Ashton, although it is understood the 22-year-old's name is not on the manager's shopping list.

Damien Duff's proposed move to Tottenham from Chelsea may also remove Shaun Wright-Phillips from the Magpies' sights with Jose Mourinho unlikely to dispense with two wingers, even if the Tyneside club's approach may have been for an initial loan deal.

Roeder freely accepts that qualification for Europe - his side heads for Lillestrom on Wednesday needing to return with a victory or a high scoring draw to clinch a place in the UEFA Cup - could have a bearing on the signings he is able to make.

However, he is remaining patient as chairman Freddy Shepherd considers his wish-list.

Roeder said: "Because I'm experienced, I know how the system works.

"You just can't pick up the phone anymore and find out if the player you want is available and the deal is done in 24 hours.

"That was the old way - and maybe that was the easier way for managers - but we know with all the other factors involved, it doesn't happen like that anymore.

"I'm not getting frustrated, but I understand that from now on, every day that goes by, our supporters are looking for new faces coming in the door.

"That's only natural, that's the same at every club all around the country."

Roeder will hope Shola Ameobi is fit enough to start on Saturday after being used as a substitute in the first leg, with £9.5million Albert Luque, who scored his side's equaliser, likely to partner him.

That could mean a seat on the bench for 20-year-old James Milner, who is banking on his versatility to help win him a regular place after his return from a loan spell Aston Villa.

Milner said: "I think my versatility is a strength. Look at all the best players in the world - they can use both feet.

"I've always worked hard on both feet because it helps you. I don't mind playing on the left.

"This is a massive club, and you need competition for places.

"That's all I can ask for - a fair crack of the whip. If you are not playing well, you don't deserve to be in the team.

"It's down to me to play well in training and make sure the manager can't leave me out, and then do it on the pitch."

Meanwhile, the Magpies will head for Norway possibly boosted by the addition of Australia international Craig Moore following his return to training.

Moore, 30, was back at the club's Darsley Park training headquarters on Monday after being given extra time off on his return from the World Cup finals.

However, he is remaining patient as chairman Freddy Shepherd considers his wish-list.

Roeder said: "Because I'm experienced, I know how the system works.

"You just can't pick up the phone anymore and find out if the player you want is available and the deal is done in 24 hours.

"That was the old way - and maybe that was the easier way for managers - but we know with all the other factors involved, it doesn't happen like that anymore.

161138[/snapback]

In other words we're not to expect anyone soon ;)

Guest Fog on the Tyne
He certainly is experienced. He's experienced in relegating teams from the top flight.

161140[/snapback]

Get over it.

161142[/snapback]

Why?

Don't see why you say it's dull because if we go into the season with the sqaud we have got, that's what you can expect.

Edited by Sima

He certainly is experienced. He's experienced in relegating teams from the top flight.

161140[/snapback]

Experienced in turning around a Newcastle United side who who in a shitty mess in serious risk of heading towards the Championship and taking them to the brink of automatic European qualification inside 3 months as well! :rolleyes:

As others have said, how the hell can our current predicament be the fault of Glenn Roeder? ;)

Guest Fog on the Tyne
Because it's dull.

161145[/snapback]

It's the truth though, and with no money to spend with a manager who has been relegated with West Ham and Watford, things are certainly worrying.

Here's hoping Marlon King will will help us reach the play-offs next season.

Because it's dull.

161145[/snapback]

It's the truth though, and with no money to spend with a manager who has been relegated with West Ham and Watford, things are certainly worrying.

Here's hoping Marlon King will will help us reach the play-offs next season.

161163[/snapback]

Oh what a beautiful Moooorning, Oh what a beautiful Daaaay ;)

cheer up ya miserable wazzock, the season hasn't even started yet and you've already relegated us.

Guest Fog on the Tyne
I thought we were definately signing someone tomorrow?

161207[/snapback]

I thought he said our new academy director was to be announced yesterday.