Told you so

highpants

Told you all there would be no new signing by Wednesday, Roeder and Fatty have now distanced us from every single potentially available striker in the country and beyhond, who does that leave as a possible target now, and remember we need 2 strikers .

Guest Fog on the Tyne
Shola, number 9, Shola, Shola number 9!

161306[/snapback]

Always said he'd make a decent Championship player.

The concern is very real now.

Out of our so called targets or potential targets we have the following situations.

Kuyt - Anal didn't think he had a good world cup so we aren't interested any more.

Horse Face - Going to Madrid.

Defoe - Apparently he's a cockeny so we don't want him.

Bent - Just signed a new contract.

Ashton - Apparently he's too slow.

JFH - Too old and gone to Charlton.

Roberts - Gone to Blackburn (and shit imo)

Mido - Looks like he's going to Blackburn and his history makes him an unlikely choice.

Anelka - Ditto but to Portsmouth.

While I know that is far from a definitive list of every potentially available striker in world football I'm stuggling to think of many more realistic targets who fit Roder's criteria and our budget.

I really am more disapointed with our club than I have ever been going into a new season as with our current squad relegation is a probability and I don't see where the quality of strikers to change that is going to come from.

The concern is very real now.

Out of our so called targets or potential targets we have the following situations.

Kuyt - Anal didn't think he had a good world cup so we aren't interested any more.

Horse Face - Going to Madrid.

Defoe - Apparently he's a cockeny so we don't want him.

Bent - Just signed a new contract.

Ashton - Apparently he's too slow.

JFH - Too old and gone to Charlton.

Roberts - Gone to Blackburn (and shit imo)

Mido - Looks like he's going to Blackburn and his history makes him an unlikely choice.

Anelka - Ditto but to Portsmouth.

While I know that is far from a definitive list of every potentially available striker in world football I'm stuggling to think of many more realistic targets who fit Roder's criteria and our budget.

I really am more disapointed with our club than I have ever been going into a new season as with our current squad relegation is a probability and I don't see where the quality of strikers to change that is going to come from.

161541[/snapback]

Defoe has been linked with Man in recent days.

Plus shola has said he is ready to save us. ;)

But I agree I have know idea who we could get that has shown they can score goals and wont cost over the odds. :rolleyes:

It has to be said like, for all the club are preaching patience, it does appear that our transfer plans are somewhat in disarray. Back to the drawing board for Glenn, I reckon.....

The constant cycle of being linked with players then statements suggesting we aren't going to get them a few days later is GREAT © tbh.

Well tbf that's half more than our last manager.

Seriously though you have to wonder whether we have any transfer strategy at all. We all knew at the end of last season that it was incredibly important that we got through the Intertwobob and that neither Shearer or Owen would play, Shola would be struggling and it would be likely that Chopra would leave. Yet here we are after the first leg and still we don't have anyone. I know it's not as easy to sign players as it is in FM but it seriously should not be this difficult.

Have to take a calculated risk I'm afraid. However, the more the board, manager, and Anal Oliver go on about superstars, big wages, expensive flops, and the Geordie Nation™, the more it sinks in that we're probably going to re-sign Mikey Bridges and dig up Jackie Milburn.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

I'd have liked us to buy a few promising championship strikers as squad players, someone with a bit of hunger who could come in when we were stretched with injuries or whatever and show us what they could do. We should have really done this ages ago though, with the foresight we were going to lose Shearer. Of course, now it's too late to take a gamble on someone with potential because we need them to produce straight away and we won't have any other options if they don't. Which means we're going to have get a proven striker, probably over-priced and past his best anyway. That's if we can even get one of those.

Brian McBride is pound for pound as good as any stiker in the premiership. ;)

161730[/snapback]

I wouldn't want you misquoting that kind of wisdom tbh.

Brian McBride is pound for pound as good as any stiker in the premiership. ;)

161730[/snapback]

I wouldn't want you misquoting that kind of wisdom tbh.

161732[/snapback]

To be fair, I heard it second hand. Thanks for the correction, though.

Nobody wants to come to Newcastle because they all know Fat Fred is an interfering fuckwit, and the Glenn is his little yes man.

Pompey actually seems like a better potential destination to someone like Anelka, who, a couple of years ago we wouldb't have touched with a bargepole but now we'd probably welcome with open arms. This is a benchmark by which you can measure how far NUFC has slumped.

We are not an attractive club for players, who seem drawn towards London and the south, or to clubs with proven records of winning trophies.

Newcastle offers very little, apart from good wages.

Even clubs like Bolton and Boro seem to hold more appeal, partly because their managment isn't so cack-handed. With Fred running the show and a low profile manager like Glenn, we're not going to be signing anyone particularly exciting. Our best bet of a killer signing went down the pan when Owen's knee gave out at the World cup - he was our one bright star.

Playing alongside Shola in the Intertwobob doesn't get decent players - even average ones like Bent aren't interested.

Maybe we could get Carl Cort?

Another thought; despite everyone slagging 'Shearer as manager' talk, I think he'd be able to attract a better calibre of player than Glenn, after all he is a legend, a bit like Keegan who people wanted to play for. Of course whether he'd actually be any good is another matter, he might be crap like Souness or he might be great like say for example Klinsmann, who had no prior experiance really before Germany.