Pilot lands his F111 without the undercarriage

Lazarus

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Australian Air Force starting to fall to pieces as we cant afford another 10 planes to take over from the stock of 10 planes we have at the moment. We cant afford jack shit for defence of this country i tell ya and then when Kim Jung-il bombs us, shit will hit the fan.

Typical Australian Air Force starting to fall to pieces as we cant afford another 10 planes to take over from the stock of 10 planes we have at the moment. We cant afford jack shit for defence of this country i tell ya and then when Kim Jung-il bombs us, shit will hit the fan.

161623[/snapback]

I read somewhere that some Japanese Cult (the one that did the gas attacks on the Tokyo underground) tested a nuclear bomb in the Outback but no one noticed for months. Any truth in that?

161623[/snapback]

I read somewhere that some Japanese Cult (the one that did the gas attacks on the Tokyo underground) tested a nuclear bomb in the Outback but no one noticed for months. Any truth in that?

161628[/snapback]

Quality of life improved? ;)

I can't get sound so don't know if it's been explained on the clip, but surely the best thing to do in that situation would be to eject in an unpopulated area or over water?

161366[/snapback]

Not when its only one of 12 £100 million F-111's they have.....................

Land a plane without its undercarriage??

Sounds like an every day event in the world of RobW! ;)

161370[/snapback]

Yeah right!

RobW would kicked the floor out and landed it on his bare feet, holding each wing as if he was gathering up the hem of his kilt whilst running through a muddy puddle.

161374[/snapback]

I HAVE a PPL actually ..................... but only on fixed u/c planes

But many aeroplanes are designed so that a wheels up landing is not that dangerous - as long as you are not scraping a fuel tank or a bomb along the tarmac its a lot safer than ejecting for example and they can get them flying again fairly quickly.............

161370[/snapback]

Yeah right!

RobW would kicked the floor out and landed it on his bare feet, holding each wing as if he was gathering up the hem of his kilt whilst running through a muddy puddle.

161374[/snapback]

But many aeroplanes are designed so that a wheels up landing is not that dangerous - as long as you are not scraping a fuel tank or a bomb along the tarmac its a lot safer than ejecting for example and they can get them flying again fairly quickly.............

161662[/snapback]

You sure you wouldn't weld some more wheels on while the thing is still in the air? ;)

161370[/snapback]

Yeah right!

161374[/snapback]

161662[/snapback]

Actually that's probably true of most military planes and a few older commercial ones, but not most newer commercial planes. I was watching a documentary about a hijacked 757 (I think) which ran out of fuel and did an emergency landing on water. The way these jets are designed means the engines touch down first - bad enough on land but disastrous in water where the shearing force rips apart the plane.

Oh, and if you do crash land on water - don't inflate your life jacket until you get out. There's a good reason for this.

Oh, and if you do crash land on water - don't inflate your life jacket until you get out. There's a good reason for this.

161673[/snapback]

Anyone with half a brain should know that though. If the cabin is filling up with water and you've got an inflated life jacket on, you're pretty fucked really.

161673[/snapback]

Anyone with half a brain should know that though. If the cabin is filling up with water and you've got an inflated life jacket on, you're pretty fucked really.

161679[/snapback]

They tell you that on commercial airliners, only they claim it's so that you can fit through the door.

Writing cheques your body can't cash tbh

Another one for the alex gallery eh? :lol:;)

986TGN_James_Tolkan_001.jpg

161675[/snapback]

;) Should have seen that one coming tbh.

161673[/snapback]

161679[/snapback]

Correct, but half the people who were on this plane did - not surprisngly the same half that drowned.

161673[/snapback]

161679[/snapback]

Correct, but half the people who were on this plane did - not surprisngly the same half that drowned.

161695[/snapback]

Americans???

161673[/snapback]

161679[/snapback]

161695[/snapback]

Americans???

161698[/snapback]

Africans actually. The hijackers took over the plane at Nairobi and forced it too fly to Australia. They wouldn't believe the pilot when he insisted they didn't have enough fuel......

Actually that would have been more funny if they hijacked the plane at Dublin. ;)

161370[/snapback]

Yeah right!

161374[/snapback]

161662[/snapback]

Actually that's probably true of most military planes and a few older commercial ones, but not most newer commercial planes. I was watching a documentary about a hijacked 757 (I think) which ran out of fuel and did an emergency landing on water. The way these jets are designed means the engines touch down first - bad enough on land but disastrous in water where the shearing force rips apart the plane.

161673[/snapback]

This weeks Flight magazine has their 6 month Commercial Aircraft Accident Survey

There are several wheels up landings for everything from A320's going back to CV580's - everyone walked away

Water is bad news because you tend to dig into the waves wheras (most) airfields are flat and unencumbered - plus the fire brigade have coated the whole place in foam just in case

"You sure you wouldn't weld some more wheels on while the thing is still in the air? icon_lol.gif"

About 5 years ago some guy in the USA had one wheel stuck on a light aircraft

he dragged the runway at about 80 mph and a guy chased him in a ragtop Audi with another guy standing up - they matched speeds and the bloke in the Audi got hold of the wheel strut and pulled it down sucessfully

Audi ran some ads with the photo later

You'd need Michael Schumacker to match speeds with a "slow" F-111

Edited by Rob W

161623[/snapback]

161628[/snapback]

Yes, that is true, although to be far the outback is a pretty big place.

We don't have sophisticated radar and satellite technology. We still rely on smoke signals.

Doubt the Japanese story

The yanks have it covered from space -

plus you can't set of an A Bomb without generating a very distinct seismic signal

plus the yanks have several bases in the Big Red Centre

plus you can't set of an A Bomb without generating a very distinct seismic signal

161746[/snapback]

Atomic bombs that you can't feel?

Scientifically-defying stuff - you got a source? ;)

That's not what I said................ I said you CAN always detect them seismically

and if you want several weeks on the propogation of P waves thru a Solid Media......................................

I've just discovered you can sleep in this heat afterall !

;)

161767[/snapback]

He could earn a handsome wage like.... ;)

Doubt the Japanese story

The yanks have it covered from space -

plus the yanks have several bases in the Big Red Centre

161746[/snapback]

There was a seismic signal, that's why it was checked out, albeit month later. Mind, if Rob doubts it, it probably never happened, even though I read about it and someone from the country in which it happened confirmed the tale ;)