Charlton in for Bowyer

Scottish Mag

From .com

From the South London Press, Tuesday:

CHARLTON manager Alan Curbishley has tabled bids for Newcastle midfielder Lee Bowyer and Everton striker Marcus Bent.

The Addicks boss has made nine summer signings so far but his squad re-building isn't over yet.

However, his efforts to sign former star Bowyer - who he sold to Leeds for £2.8million in 1996 - and Bent depend on their respective clubs' success in landing their own transfer targets.

Curbishley said: "We've got two bids in for players at the moment. We know the two players we want and the clubs - both in the Premiership - know we want them.

"It may depend on that club getting their player in - it's a bit like the housing market.

"We're waiting for something to happen and if it happens before August 31 then great, if not, we'll just have to get on with it."

Souness likes to bin players without replacements, so don't be surprised if another PL standard player leaves the club.

12930[/snapback]

The situation is getting stupid. Although I wouldn't consider Bowyer to be anywhere near the standard he was at Leeds, he's still the best option we have to play alongside Emre and Parker at the moment (if we ever bring in a left winger that is).

With Hugo finding it impossible to find a club, perhaps we're planning on using him and ditching Bowyer and Jenas?

I would keep him too, to be honest I've been more impressed with Bowyer than Jenas and Dyer for some time.

12970[/snapback]

Not having a dig at anyone here, but a number of people have it in for Bowyer and just aren't able to see what he does. I can't believe anybody would want to see him leave the club, not just at the present time. He's been much better than Jenas for ages, and I think he's been better than Dyer too.

I think Dyer could be better than Bowyer if he applied himself correctly by accepting he's a right sided player, instead of hankering after playing up front, or in the middle of midfield.

Edited by Howaythelads

Not having a dig at anyone here, but a number of people have it in for Bowyer and just aren't able to see what he does. I can't believe anybody would want to see him leave the club, not just at the present time. He's been much better than Jenas for ages, and I think he's been better than Dyer too.

12987[/snapback]

Well, I'm not a big fan of Bowyer. IMHO he can't pass or tackle and I don't think he his contributing a lot else to the team except his work rate.

So I hate to say this very much, but we can't afford to let him go now.

12987[/snapback]

Well, I'm not a big fan of Bowyer. IMHO he can't pass or tackle and I don't think he his contributing a lot else to the team except his work rate.

12991[/snapback]

Ok, that's your opinion. I think Bowyer can tackle and his passing is good enough when there's some movement going on.

Mentioning Parker, in Sunday's match I don't think Parker contributed anything more than workrate, yet many think he was the best player on the pitch. For me, he was caught in possession far too many times. Just like the Jenas tackle, Bowyer would have been slated for that as he's slated for giving the ball away when others aren't.

Here's an idea, why don't we replace Bowyer with a player with more skill, a player who can create and score goals from the left but who doesn't work as hard? Any ideas who that might be????

12987[/snapback]

12991[/snapback]

Ok, that's your opinion. I think Bowyer can tackle and his passing is good enough when there's some movement going on.

Mentioning Parker, in Sunday's match I don't think Parker contributed anything more than workrate, yet many think he was the best player on the pitch. For me, he was caught in possession far too many times. Just like the Jenas tackle, Bowyer would have been slated for that as he's slated for giving the ball away when others aren't.

Here's an idea, why don't we replace Bowyer with a player with more skill, a player who can create and score goals from the left but who doesn't work as hard? Any ideas who that might be????

13000[/snapback]

I'm not getting carried away by Parker's performance (and I think I've already stated somewhere else). In a battling team he did the best battling job, an all around fantastic football performance does need more.

But something else from the original .com article:

The Addicks boss has made nine summer signings so far but his squad re-building isn't over yet.

It's interesting to see that some managers are in fact able in doing a squad rebuilding...

I've never liked Bowyer, not when he was at Leeds, not at West Ham and I've been far from his biggest fan since he arrived here.

However even I would have to admit he seems to be playing his best football in years at the moment and Charlton clearly sniff a bargain.

He is a racist little t*t and I have always wanted him to p*ss off.

13015[/snapback]

Never seen anything to convince me he's a racist, he's got a nasty temper though.

We need to keep him and Jenas for squad depth I reckon. Unless we're going to bring in a central midfielder - that Ambrose at Charlton looks a canny squad player.

He is a racist little t*t and I have always wanted him to p*ss off.

13015[/snapback]

Never seen anything to convince me he's a racist, he's got a nasty temper though.

We need to keep him and Jenas for squad depth I reckon. Unless we're going to bring in a central midfielder - that Ambrose at Charlton looks a canny squad player.

13031[/snapback]

Speaking of whicj. Did anyonone see the look Bowyer gave to the linesman in the second half, right in front of the away fans? He was being jockeyed by Ashley Cole(similar to Carr/Henry) and Bowyer lost control of the ball. an Arsenal throw was awarded.

Bowyer just glared at him. I'd say that linesman is sleeping with one eye open!!!

i'm not bowyer's biggest fan but we can't afford to let him go at the minute, especially if jenas is on the way out. we need players in. we can't afford to let any more go.

If we had more people like him on the pitch willing to show some fighting spirit. (no pun intended) We would be doing much better, i do not want him leaving the club as he is an assett and he gives us an option in midfield.

Other than the dummy spat out with Dyer (which anyone could understand) he has worked tirelessly since arriving at the club and off the field you do not see any bad press.

Im in the Bowyer stay camp. He's a nasty piece of work at times, but his fully committed style of play does it for me. He tackles, gets forward and isnt afraid to have a shot. Links up midfield and forwards well.

Id rather see no-one go and instead bring more players in.

Are we a selling club now?

Would be another to add to the list of stupid sales and another player we would need to replace that we won't.

He covers the whole of the ptich helping defence, midfield and attack and works as hard as any player. Yes he picks up yellows for fouls but he generally tackles better than some think. He's actually a need and tidy passer of the ball, not spectacular but comfortable and above all else he will get us some gols from midfield and we need that more than anything.