Marseille move for Boumsong

Scottish Mag

Jean-Alain Boumsong's turbulent time on Tyneside appears to be nearing an end after Marseille officials last night vowed to find the finances required to land the hapless Newcastle United defender.

And Glenn Roeder will hope that l'OM's unwavering determination to secure the services of the 25-year-old will trigger a flurry of transfer activity that will enable him to finally make his first signing of the summer.

United's first-team squad will travel to Oslo this morning to prepare for this weekend's decisive Intertoto Cup match against Lillestr?m and, although manager Roeder had hoped to make a breakthrough ahead of Saturday's third round, second leg meeting, there will be no new players on the plane to the Norwegian capital. As well as seeking new signings, the Newcastle boss is still attempting to reduce his squad, and, although Darren Bent's decision to commit his long-term future to Charlton will have come as a blow, any sales will help his efforts as he continues to pursue his remaining targets.

Boumsong's name is high on the list of those who are surplus to requirements at St James's Park and, should Marseille press home their interest in the French international and table a realistic bid, it would be a considerable boost. "Jean-Alain Boumsong is an experienced player who is part of the French team and who has shown all of his defensive efficiency in Ligue 1," said Pape Diouf, general manager at the Stade Velodrome, who has been asked to recruit Boumsong by new head coach Albert Emon.

"His transfer is complex on a financial level, as with every player who is in England, but we will go on with this case."

Despite all his troubles in England, Boumsong's reputation remains intact in his homeland and the former Rangers stopper has also attracted interest from Monaco and Paris-Saint Germain this summer. The former club are keen to strike a deal but their request to take Boumsong on loan - an offer which would require United to continue paying 50% of the player's £35,000-a-week wages - will meet with a negative response from within the Magpies boardroom.

That would appear to leave Marseille in the driving seat, although the financial complexities discussed by Diouf means that a deal is still some way distant.

It is an issue Roeder will hope can be resolved quickly and, with Boumsong not due back in the North-East until July 29 as a result of his World Cup participation, it remains to be seen whether Graeme Souness' £8.5m signing will ever return to Tyneside.

Although he has been keen to stress that there is no need to panic in recent days, Roeder knows he must start making signings soon or risk missing out on his leading targets.

Ruud van Nistelrooy, a player who featured prominently on a shortlist of strikers drawn up to help find Alan Shearer's Gallowgate successor, is expected to join Real Madrid today, while Charlton chairman Richard Murray has been steadfast in his refusal to consider sanctioning Bent's departure this summer.

The striker last night signed a new four-year contract at The Valley and insisted he is thrilled to be staying in the capital.

"Richard Murray knows I am committed to this club and although I am flattered to be linked with the biggest clubs in the country I owe Charlton a lot after they gave me my chance in the Premiership and the fans have been right behind me since I joined," he said.

Wright-Phillips remains a target, although Jose Mourinho last night insisted that only one member of Chelsea's first-team squad will depart Stamford Bridge this summer. That player would appear to be Asier Del Horno, who is bound for Spain. Meanwhile, Craig Moore could make his first appearance of the season in Oslo this weekend having returned to training in the North-East at the start of the week.

The Australian international was granted time off following his World Cup exertions. But Moore is back on Tyneside, and will be part of the squad that travels to Norway this morning.

Roeder will watch Lillestr?m in action at the ?r?sen Stadium this evening as he finalises his preparations for this weekend's Intertoto Cup clash.

Uwe R?sler's men will face Henning Berg's FC Lyn Oslo in a Norwegian Cup tie.

Marseille officials last night vowed to find the finances required to land the hapless Newcastle United defender.

deals like the kind of money we got for Woodgate don't come too often, but can we hope that we won't be taken to school in terms of transfer negotiations here? Would be good to get our 8m here, but 5-6 would be a minimum.

Marseille officials last night vowed to find the finances required to land the hapless Newcastle United defender.

deals like the kind of money we got for Woodgate don't come too often, but can we hope that we won't be taken to school in terms of transfer negotiations here? Would be good to get our 8m here, but 5-6 would be a minimum.

161382[/snapback]

No chance imo. We'll take a BIG loss on this one i reckon.

161382[/snapback]

No chance imo. We'll take a BIG loss on this one i reckon.

161407[/snapback]

true. But there's always hope with Marseille, they can be a bit of a silly club at times... a bit like us really!

An embarrassingly low "undisclosed fee" is what he'll go for.

161581[/snapback]

wouldnt be surprising

161585[/snapback]

What is surprising is your post above, considering you reckoned £5-6million would be a minimum.

161581[/snapback]

wouldnt be surprising

161585[/snapback]

What is surprising is your post above, considering you reckoned £5-6million would be a minimum.

161589[/snapback]

lol, ok I meant 5-6m would be a minimum in terms of us not being taken to school in the transfer negotiations. Don't get me wrong I'd be happy with 3-4m too, and it would be typical of NUFC for Boumsong to go for the kind of fee Gemill stated.

Boumsong still has a good-ish reputation in france, and as I said Marseille are a bit weird in their transfer market decisions so we never know.

161581[/snapback]

wouldnt be surprising

161585[/snapback]

161589[/snapback]

lol, ok I meant 5-6m would be a minimum in terms of us not being taken to school in the transfer negotiations. Don't get me wrong I'd be happy with 3-4m too, and it would be typical of NUFC for Boumsong to go for the kind of fee Gemill stated.

Boumsong still has a good-ish reputation in france, and as I said Marseille are a bit weird in their transfer market decisions so we never know.

161596[/snapback]

So basically, none of scenarios above would surprise you? ;)

161581[/snapback]

wouldnt be surprising

161585[/snapback]

161589[/snapback]

161596[/snapback]

161599[/snapback]

the first one would, it would be a nice surprise :rolleyes:

161581[/snapback]

wouldnt be surprising

161585[/snapback]

161589[/snapback]

161596[/snapback]

161599[/snapback]

the first one would, it would be a nice surprise :P

161605[/snapback]

Glad we cleared that up btw :rolleyes:

161581[/snapback]

wouldnt be surprising

161585[/snapback]

161589[/snapback]

161596[/snapback]

So basically, none of scenarios above would surprise you? :rolleyes:

161599[/snapback]

the first one would, it would be a nice surprise :rolleyes:

161605[/snapback]

Glad we cleared that up btw :P

161611[/snapback]

anytime ;)

161581[/snapback]

wouldnt be surprising

161585[/snapback]

161589[/snapback]

What you've got to consider though, is that if he went back to France he'd be deemed one of the best centre-halves in the French League, so £5-6m isn't that far-fetched.

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Story/0,1427...1349589,00.html

Boumsong set for Marseille

Jean-Alain Boumsong's turbulent Newcastle career appears to be almost over after Marseille stepped up their chase for him.

Boumsong has never really settled on Tyneside, having struggled to justify the £8million fee former boss Graeme Souness paid Rangers in January 2005.

But the centre-half, an unused substitute in France's World Cup final defeat to Italy, is still highly-rated in his homeland and has long been linked with a return to Ligue 1 with l'OM.

Glenn Roeder is ready to sanction a season-long loan deal for Boumsong with a view to a permanent move in a bid to free up his own desire to strengthen the Magpies' ranks.

However, the manager would prefer a straight cash sale and is also thought to be willing to accept a cut-price £3million.

Newcastle's first-team squad travelled to Oslo on Wednesday morning to prepare for this weekend's decisive Intertoto Cup match against Lillestrom and, although Roeder had hoped to make a breakthrough ahead of Saturday's third round, second leg meeting, there were no new players on the plane to the Norwegian capital.

Boumsong's name is high on the list of those who are surplus to requirements at St James' Park and, should Marseille press home their interest in the French international, it would be a considerable boost for the Toon boss.

Marseille general manager Pape Diouf admitted that his side will continue their pursuit of the much-maligned defender.

"Jean-Alain Boumsong is an experienced player who is part of the French team and who has shown all of his defensive efficiency in Ligue 1.

"His transfer is complex on a financial level, as with every player who is in England, but we will go on with this case."

Roeder will hope a deal can be resolved quickly and, with Boumsong not due back in the North-East until July 29 as a result of his World Cup participation, it remains to be seen whether the defender will ever return to Tyneside.

Meanwhile, the Magpies have appointed Joe Joyce as Glenn Roeder's successor as Academy manager.

The former head of coaching at the Professional Footballers' Association, will take over responsibility for the club's youth set-up on September 4 after Roeder took over as first-team boss.

The Toon boss told the club's official website: "He fits the bill, and I'm confident with Joe in charge of the team that I can leave the Academy in safe hands and let him get on with it.

"I will be in touch with him once every couple of weeks to find out what I need to know, but in essence I will just be letting Joe get on with things, and I'm confident the Academy will grow under his leadership."

juventus stopper Igor Tudor could emerge as a transfer target for French club Marseille if they fail to land Newcastle's Jean-Alain Boumsong.

The Ligue 1 outfit are interested in signing The Magpies defender following his failure to impress in The Premiership, after already raiding England for Djibril Cisse.

L'OM may be interested in a similar loan arrangement for the former Rangers man, but in case they are unable to secure a deal reports indicate Tudor has been lined up.

The Croatian World Cup defender, who spent last season on loan at Siena, has been earmarked as a player who can help youngsters Ronald Zubar and Renato Civelli to emerge for the French outfit.

Tudor began his career at Hajduk Split but forged his reputation on a wider scale with Italian giants Juventus, and could be an astute acquisition for Marseille should they fail to land Boumsong.

England defender Sol Campbell is reportedly set to meet with Marseille officials at the weekend over a proposed move to France.

The 31-year-old centre back suffered with personal problems and form at Arsenal last season and consequently announced his decision to leave the club after the World Cup.

The player and club agreed to cancel his contract by mutual consent and now it appears that he could opt for Ligue 1 football for the coming campaign.

According to the French press, l'OM chiefs initiated contact with the player through the lawyers who act as his agents.

Campbell has already intimated that he would prefer a move abroad and the only stumbling block would be with regards to the player's wages.

He would most likely have to take a large cut to his salary if he is to join up with World Cup star Franck Ribery at the Stade Velodrome for the start of the French season on August 5.

Could mean the end of our chance to offload Boumsong :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Marseille are continuing talks regarding a loan move for Newcastle defender Jean-Alain Boumsong, but the club claim the trail for Sol Campbell has gone cold.

The Stade Velodrome club are keen on recruiting a new central defender and to that end sporting director Jose Anigo confirmed his side are holding talks with Boumsong and his Premiership employers.

Marseille were also interested in signing former Arsenal defender Campbell, but the player is now reported to be on the verge of a switch to Portsmouth, and the Ligue 1 side are instead focusing their energies on a bid for Boumsong.

The France international has endured a disappointing spell on Tyneside since being signed by former boss Graeme Souness in an £8 million transfer from Rangers in January 2005.

And Anigo claims the player, who has also been linked with Lens, Monaco and Paris Saint Germain in recent months, is keen on a switch.

"The player wants to come here and we want him too," said Anigo.

"His terms are quite high but we have just opened talks with the club and his agents.

"There could be an opportunity to hire him on loan.

"He is our most serious option for a new defender. We have been keeping tabs on Sol Campbell but that appears to have ended."

Should a move for Boumsong founder, then Marseille will reportedly turn their attentions to Bayer Leverkusen stopper Roque Junior, with the 30-year-old believed to be available for a fee in the region of €2 million (£1.35 million).