New Academy Director

Gemmill

Former Scunthorpe United right back Joe Joyce??

161460[/snapback]

I believe so.

161466[/snapback]

Fantastic bloke if it's him. Always had a lot of time for the fans. I remember him scoring on a cold tuesday night against Scarboro. Received the ball from our keeper and ran the entire length of the pitch before beating their keeper ;)

GLENN Roeder is confident the club's production line is in safe hands after appointing North East-born Joe Joyce as Academy Manager.

Roeder, who was the previous occupant of the position before taking over first-team affairs, has taken his time to make the appointment but believes Joyce is the best man for the job.

Born in Consett, Joyce started his career as a junior with Barnsley in 1979 and went on to make more than 350 appearances for the Oakwell outfit in a 12-year spell in South Yorkshire.

He then moved onto Scunthorpe, before hanging up his boots at Carlisle in 1998.

Joyce, 45, arrives at St. James' Park having worked as the PFA's Head of Coaching, and Roeder revealed that he is highly-thought of within the game.

Roeder told nufc.co.uk: "I've only known Joe for a year or so, after he came into our Academy while I was in charge last year to do some work with the young players.

"I was very impressed by him, and out of all of the people I spoke to before deciding to appoint him, nobody had a bad word to say about him.

"I looked at two or three candidates, I have to be honest and say there weren't a lot of candidates on my list because I was very selective.

"A lot of people wanted the job, and that is understandable because it is a high-profile job at a club the size of Newcastle United.

"It is a fantastic job, I know that from my seven or eight months down there, but there needs to be some continuity in that position.

"I think we have had six people in charge in seven years, and that is no good for the academy. You can't expect an academy to be successful with a constant change of manager.

"I needed to find a candidate who was able to do the job - and in Joe Joyce I believe we have found that person.

"He is from this area as well, which helps, and I am confident he will stay a long time and continue the hard work that has already been done.

"He has been with the PFA, he is great with the youngsters and he also coaches coaches.

"He will be an Academy manager, and that is not just coaching the under-18s like I did if you like, it will be as the job title suggests.

"He will spend some time on the training pitch, some time in the office during the day, and will help to pick up the evening Academy as well.

"We have some good young players in there already, but we need to reorganise it a bit. We need to make it a more efficient running academy, and Joe will be behind that.

"He fits the bill, and I'm confident with Joe in charge of the team that I can leave the Academy in safe hands and let him get on with it.

"I will be in touch with him once every couple of weeks to find out what I need to know, but in essence I will just be letting Joe get on with things and I'm confident the Academy will grow under his leadership."

Adam Sadler will work at the Academy as assistant to Joyce following the return of Terry Gennoe to the club as first team goalkeeping coach.

Joyce will officially start in his new position on September 4, though will be in regular contact with Roeder prior to his start date

Born in Consett, which was all FFS needed to hear tbh. ;)

Presumably it will be easy to get rid of this relatively unknown bloke when Roeder wants his Academy job back when Shearer takes over ;)

GLENN Roeder is confident the club's production line is in safe hands after appointing North East-born Joe Joyce as Academy Manager.

Roeder, who was the previous occupant of the position before taking over first-team affairs, has taken his time to make the appointment but believes Joyce is the best man for the job.

Born in Consett, Joyce started his career as a junior with Barnsley in 1979 and went on to make more than 350 appearances for the Oakwell outfit in a 12-year spell in South Yorkshire.

Joyce, 45, arrives at St. James' Park having worked as the PFA's Head of Coaching, and Roeder revealed that he is highly-thought of within the game.

Roeder told nufc.co.uk: "I've only known Joe for a year or so, after he came into our Academy while I was in charge last year to do some work with the young players.

"I was very impressed by him, and out of all of the people I spoke to before deciding to appoint him, nobody had a bad word to say about him.

"I looked at two or three candidates, I have to be honest and say there weren't a lot of candidates on my list because I was very selective.

"A lot of people wanted the job, and that is understandable because it is a high-profile job at a club the size of Newcastle United.

"It is a fantastic job, I know that from my seven or eight months down there, but there needs to be some continuity in that position.

"I think we have had six people in charge in seven years, and that is no good for the academy. You can't expect an academy to be successful with a constant change of manager.

"I needed to find a candidate who was able to do the job - and in Joe Joyce I believe we have found that person.

"He is from this area as well, which helps, and I am confident he will stay a long time and continue the hard work that has already been done.

"He has been with the PFA, he is great with the youngsters and he also coaches coaches.

"He will be an Academy manager, and that is not just coaching the under-18s like I did if you like, it will be as the job title suggests.

"He will spend some time on the training pitch, some time in the office during the day, and will help to pick up the evening Academy as well.

"We have some good young players in there already, but we need to reorganise it a bit. We need to make it a more efficient running academy, and Joe will be behind that.

"He fits the bill, and I'm confident with Joe in charge of the team that I can leave the Academy in safe hands and let him get on with it.

"I will be in touch with him once every couple of weeks to find out what I need to know, but in essence I will just be letting Joe get on with things and I'm confident the Academy will grow under his leadership."

Adam Sadler will work at the Academy as assistant to Joyce following the return of Terry Gennoe to the club as first team goalkeeping coach.

Joyce will officially start in his new position on September 4, though will be in regular contact with Roeder prior to his start date

161493[/snapback]

Joyce for manager! :rolleyes:

161493[/snapback]

Natural choice tbf. :rolleyes: