Ameobi stakes his claim

khay

Shola Ameobi has told Sky Sports News that he is ready to answer Newcastle United's striker SOS.

The Magpies are down to the bare bones in the striking department, with Alan Shearer having retired and Michael Owen out with a serious knee injury.

With Shearer and Owen out of the picture, the focus is on Ameobi and Albert Luque and the former has shrugged off his hip problem to declare that he will take on the striking onus - starting with the second leg of their Intertoto Cup meeting with Lillestrom.

"It has been a long summer," Ameobi told Sky Sports News. "I missed the first coupe of weeks of pre-season due to my hip situation. But I am training now, I have been training this week and I feel good."

Newcastle had to settle for a 1-1 draw in the first leg at St James' Park and Ameobi is looking to guide the club through to the next round.

"I am looking forward to the game and hopefully I can play some part to help us get through," he added.

Magpies chief Glenn Roeder is scouring the market for a new striker, but Ameobi is ready to lead the line in the new season.

"I have always relished a challenge," he declared. "It has been a challenge since I joined Newcastle and with the likes of Michael out this season and the lack of strikers there is a bit of pressure, but you have to rise to the occasion.

"Playing for Newcastle you have to perform week in and week out and that has always been the case and is the case for me this season."

Joe Joyce, the former head of coaching at The Professional Footballers' Association, has been appointed as Newcastle's new academy manager - a position made available when Roeder took on the top job on Tyneside.

Its like fucking groundhog day at the minute!!!

Roeder talls luque to take his chance

Ameobi stakes his claim for shearers role

Roeder says players know what they have to do against Lillestrom.

I think they have ready made stories and they just change the name of the opposition on a weekly basis

Its like fucking groundhog day at the minute!!!

Roeder talls luque to take his chance

Ameobi stakes his claim for shearers role

Roeder says players know what they have to do against Lillestrom.

I think they have ready made stories and they just change the name of the opposition on a weekly basis

161564[/snapback]

Apart from the bit where Shola says he wants to play for England...