Anelka off to Pompey?

Gemmill

Anelka reveals Portsmouth offer

Fenerbahce striker Nicolas Anelka claims Portsmouth have made an £8.2m bid to bring him to Fratton Park.  He also revealed Blackburn and Bolton are also interested but said: "Portsmouth are the only club to have made an offer for me.

"Fenerbahce would like to keep me but they understand that I want to rejoin a major European league.

"In Portsmouth I talked with manager Harry Redknapp, who knows me well," the ex-Arsenal and Liverpool striker added.

"My ambition would be to join a club that regularly plays in the Champions League, but I cannot force them to recruit me.

"If I had to join a club like Portsmouth, I would go there with the aim of giving my best. This is the same for Bolton or Blackburn, whose managers have also contacted me.

"I hope things will be sorted within 10 days, as myself and Fenerbahce need to know as soon as possible."

Anelka, who has also played for Real Madrid, Paris St Germain and Manchester City, hit out at former Anfield boss Gerard Houllier for wrecking his career by refusing to sign him on a permanent deal.

He said: "When he told me at the last minute that he had no intention of keeping me, he put me in a difficult situation because I had not negotiated anything with other teams.

"And I ended up joining a club (Manchester City) against my will.

"Gerard Houllier is responsible for what happened to me. If he had not snubbed me at Liverpool I would not have had to play with minor clubs for the past four years which I had never imagined joining.

"I would not be where I am right now, that is to say waiting to be signed by a great English club."

I reckon we should be pulling our finger out on this one and putting a bid in. Now that Portsmouth have definitely made a bid, he'll be signing with someone before too long. Having said that when you read the stuff he has to say about Houllier and going to Man City against his will and playing at minor clubs which he "had never imagined joining", you have to wonder if he isn't just another big attitude timebomb waiting to go off.

Have a word man. He's french, he's a known piss taker when it comes to money, and his commitment is questionable to say the least. Our alleged new and 'improved' transfer policy would implode at the mention of his name. Face it, it's Mickey Bridges and the spectre of George Stephenson up front next season.

I appreciate those concerns Gem and I share them but who the fuck are we going to get?

161706[/snapback]

Even with those concerns I would still be trying to get him. He can score goals in the Premiership, and he's got something to prove. He'd take some looking after in terms of his temperament, but Roeder would have a huge incentive to make sure he did that if he'd just spunked £8m on him.

I appreciate those concerns Gem and I share them but who the fuck are we going to get?

161706[/snapback]

Even with those concerns I would still be trying to get him. He can score goals in the Premiership, and he's got something to prove. He'd take some looking after in terms of his temperament, but Roeder would have a huge incentive to make sure he did that if he'd just spunked £8m on him.

161717[/snapback]

It's a fair point, but after Roeders 'no millionaires' comments last week you just can't see us going for him.

An £8 million time bomb. He's never been happy anywhere, from England to Spain to Turkey. I honestly think it's impossible to keep his head right and keep him happy. If there are players who are phsically unable to cope with the rigors of football then he's one of the ones who mentally can't.

Sorry to burst everyones bubble but we arent 'a club that regularly plays in the Champions League'. In his eyes we would be just another stepping stone to a big club and hes fuck off as soon as he had the chance.

Sorry to burst everyones bubble but we arent 'a club that regularly plays in the Champions League'. In his eyes we would be just another stepping stone to a big club and hes fuck off as soon as he had the chance.

161753[/snapback]

But with Anelka in our team we could be. ;)

Hes done nowt since he was at arsenal tbh. Real kicked him out cos he was crap, liverpool got rid cos he was crap, man city flogged him, fenerbache have decided they would rather cash in. For 8mil there are plenty of other choices.

Anyway, im waiting for the Oliver story tomorrow, 'Toon distance themselves from anelka'

Hes done nowt since he was at arsenal tbh. Real kicked him out cos he was crap, liverpool got rid cos he was crap, man city flogged him, fenerbache have decided they would rather cash in. For 8mil there are plenty of other choices.

Anyway, im waiting for the Oliver story tomorrow, 'Toon distance themselves from anelka'

161756[/snapback]

OK, who?? And best direct your answer in the direction of Messers Roeder and Shepherd! ;)

They've just spent £10million on a portuguese midfielder.

161822[/snapback]

Harry has also played down the link. Well saying he would not be getting him for that much anyway.

Portsmouth line up Fernandes deal

Portsmouth are on the verge of signing Portuguese midfielder Manuel Fernandes for a club record £10m, reports BBC Radio Solent.

The 20-year-old Benfica player is expected to have a medical on Thursday before discussing personal terms.

If Fernandes signs the deal would smash Portsmouth's previous record of the £4m paid for Benjani Mwaruwari in January.

Fernandes was set to fly into the UK on Wednesday after Portsmouth reached an agreement in principle with Benfica.

Fernandes is a product of Benfica's youth system who made his first-team debut during the 2003/04 season, under then coach Jose Antonio Camacho.

He was part of the Portugal youth team that reached the quarter-finals of the Fifa U17 World Championship.

In February 2005 he made his international debut for the senior team against the Republic of Ireland but he missed out on selection for Portugal's world Cup squad in Germany.