Non competitive sports days

Smooth Operator

Went to the bairns sports day the other day and was horrified to see what was presented in front of me!

Instead of the usual races I was supposed to enjoy the kids filling a bucket of water with a paper cup that had holes in, beating the goalie from the penalty spot, building a tower out of lego and hul-hooping.

Now when I was at school it was like a smaller version of the Olympics where everyone did at least one event and fun was had by all apart from the fat kids who couldn't even throw a discus.

I was told it was cos the council was concerned that kids might endure undue trauma if they were to finish last in a race.

FFS!! ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about this too and think it's all going a bit too far. Being last in St John's Infant School Bean Bag race was character-building for me!

The fact that I've had psychological help for feeling like a failure for the last 20 years is just coincidental.... ;)

;)

The Olympics always pisses me off in that they praise shitness. Yes, they've trained hard to get there and their better than any of us will ever be, but must they go '..and Kelly smith finished a respectable 93rd.' Bollocks, as my old man used to say, 'don't clap shite.'

Load of shit isn't it? Surely the benefits of competitive sport far outweigh any downside. Plus, are kids going to stop doing exams on the basis they're competitive. Then what happens when they leave school and realise, shock! Horror! The world is competetive!

Bollocks, as my old man used to say, 'don't clap shite.'

;)

Load of shit isn't it? Surely the benefits of competitive sport far outweigh any downside. Plus, are kids going to stop doing exams on the basis they're competitive. Then what happens when they leave school and realise, shock! Horror! The world is competetive!

;)

some very good points. Would love to see a ten year old yell them to his teacher in the middle of a class.

as my old man used to say, 'don't clap shite.'

162078[/snapback]

Exactly why the Special Olympics should be stopped.

162087[/snapback]

....if GeordieMessiah posted on here!? ;)

Agree with what's been said though - nothing wrong with a bit of competition. Looks like the next generation of British athletes will be even worse than the current one....

It was my daughter's sports day on Tuesday and I was quite relieved to see some competitive activities, however most were one on one, team vs team rather than against a number of children, this might have been to avoid the shame of finishing last, however there was a lot of emphasis on which team was winning.

There was even a dads race, personally I blame the 5-a-side match for my shocking performance, most dads were able to sprint, whilst I was forced to hobble.

It was my daughter's sports day on Tuesday and I was quite relieved to see some competitive activities, however most were one on one, team vs team rather than against a number of children, this might have been to avoid the shame of finishing last, however there was a lot of emphasis on which team was winning.

There was even a dads race, personally I blame the 5-a-side match for my shocking performance, most dads were able to sprint, whilst I was forced to hobble.

162174[/snapback]

Probably couldn't keep your kecks up.

162174[/snapback]

Probably couldn't keep your kecks up.

162182[/snapback]

Aye, I'm sure I had a belt around here somewhere............

I avoided coming last in my infants school's sports day by shouting for the lad in front of me to wait up. Daft shite stopped so I ran straight past him over the line! ;)

Its ridiculous. They should make it as competitive as possible, reward the winners and punish the losers intensly. That would make them all want to win as much as possible = winning sportsmen for the future. Our country has a losing mentality and we need to get rid of it.

Its ridiculous. They should make it as competitive as possible, reward the winners and punish the losers intensly. That would make them all want to win as much as possible = winning sportsmen for the future. Our country has a losing mentality and we need to get rid of it.

162269[/snapback]

;)

maybe instead of Egg and Spoon race it should be Spoon and Nitro Glycerin race?

fill the sack with bees?

or as soon as they start the sprint, let loose the hounds?

I heard about this too and think it's all going a bit too far.  Being last in St John's Infant School Bean Bag race was character-building for me!

The fact that I've had psychological help for feeling like a failure for the last 20 years is just coincidental....  :lol:

;)

162071[/snapback]

Which St Johns school ???? ;)

went to my nephews sports day and was most dismayed at the lack of competitiveness..... :razz: mind the parents were certainly raring to go.. :lol:

The Olympics always pisses me off in that they praise shitness. Yes, they've trained hard to get there and their better than any of us will ever be, but must they go '..and Kelly smith finished a respectable 93rd.' Bollocks, as my old man used to say, 'don't clap shite.'

162078[/snapback]

Tim Henman and England in every football tournement for the last 10 years spring to mind.

I hate all this non competative bollocks. I was crap at sports, always have been and come sports day, I'd always finish last. I never suffered any trauma from it, I was just shit at sports. I enjoyed sports though. People are good at different things, and kids who are good at sports should be rewarded and encouraged, and I've heard of cases of kids winning city or county wide competitions who have been told by their headteachers that taking part was the important thing and who actually won is irrelevent, and these kids have been left feeling like their achievements were for nothing. What about their feelings, and that hardly spurs them on does it? The non competitive attitude to sports in schools will cripple the country's sporting chances.

Kids should be encouraged, supported and congratulated when they achieve something regardless of whether thats in sports or science or art or music or whatever.

Which St Johns school ???? ;) 

162316[/snapback]

St John Boste, Washington :lol:

I was talking to a doc at work the other night who went to his kids Sports Day at a porsh school somewhere in Northumberland. It got to the dad's race and he wandered up to take part in his jeans and t-shirt, only to be horrified as the other dads started stripping off to reveal running shorts and vest and one of them even put a sweat band around his head ;) It looks like the kids aren't allowed to be competitive, but there's a lot of it around for the parents....

Which St Johns school ???? :razz: 

162316[/snapback]

St John Boste, Washington :razz:

I was talking to a doc at work the other night who went to his kids Sports Day at a porsh school somewhere in Northumberland. It got to the dad's race and he wandered up to take part in his jeans and t-shirt, only to be horrified as the other dads started stripping off to reveal running shorts and vest and one of them even put a sweat band around his head ;) It looks like the kids aren't allowed to be competitive, but there's a lot of it around for the parents....

162395[/snapback]

;):lol::lol: