Damien Duff

Akabusi

It tells you at the bottom of the page, potato-monkey!

162155[/snapback]

Don't let facts get in the way of a good ginger-bashing tbh.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is anyone honestly giving this story credibility ?

162176[/snapback]

Na.

However, has Zoggy signed that contract he was handed a few month back? He's only got one year left on the current one, and according to some on N-O it remains unsigned and he's stalling on it. Which is a bit gutting if true. ;)

On the positive side, it has gone strangely quiet on the spurs/duff side since he was apparently ready to sign 3 days ago?

162098[/snapback]

He's off to Liverpool....

On the positive side, it has gone strangely quiet on the spurs/duff side since he was apparently ready to sign 3 days ago?

162098[/snapback]

162275[/snapback]

They don't need him.

Damien Duff's days at Stamford Bridge appear to be numbered after Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho conceded he would allow the player to leave.

The Republic of Ireland wide man has been the subject of an unsuccessful bid from Tottenham to draw him across the capital after an initial offer of £5 million was rebuffed.

It is expected that Spurs will up the ante in the next few days as they close on the signature of a player that on arriving from Blackburn, forced Chelsea to fork out £17 million for his services.

The arrival of Michael Ballack will only increase competition for places in the champions' engine room and again, Duff will in likelihood often play second fiddle to the likes of Joe Cole and Arjen Robben should he elect to stay and fight for a regular starting berth.

In typically candid fashion Mourinho has spoken of Duff with admiration but concedes that ultimately, he would not stand in the player's way if he desired pastures new.

''It is not true that Duff didn't play much last season - he played two more games than the season before and was injured,'' said Mourinho.

"I have an open relationship with Duff and we have talked about all possibilities.

''He's a player I'm happy to keep, not desperate to keep. I like Damien Duff as a player and a person.

"I've listened to him for a couple of hours and understand what is going through his mind."

If this is true, which it probably isn't, Roeder is either planning to play a 4-3-3 or he's going to play Duff just off the striker. He did say he wanted some pace up top.

162098[/snapback]

162275[/snapback]

They don't need him.

162340[/snapback]

They will when Harry Kewell moves on... ;)

162098[/snapback]

162275[/snapback]

They don't need him.

162340[/snapback]

162367[/snapback]

They have a young winger called mark gonzales who looks quite good, and both zeden riise and garica can play there.

162098[/snapback]

162275[/snapback]

They don't need him.

162340[/snapback]

162367[/snapback]

not to us i fucking hope! He makes Luque look like Roy Keane!

NEWCASTLE boss Glenn Roeder has clinched a dramatic £10million deal to steal Chelsea winger Damien Duff from under Tottenham's noses.

Roeder will land Duff after Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho reluctantly admitted yesterday that he is ready to sell him after two hours of crunch talks.

Spurs manager Martin Jol has made two bids for Duff but Newcastle are confident of tying up a deal in the next 24 hours because the Republic of Ireland star has made it clear he would prefer a move to the North East.

Duff, who has just 12 months left on his contract, was in Newcastle with his advisers last night and Roeder is hoping to finalise a fouryear deal worth £60,000 a week.

Newcastle have met Chelsea's valuation after outbidding Tottenham, whose initial offer was just £5m because of his poor injury record.

Spurs will now miss out despite going back with a second bid of £7m. It is a coup for Roeder and would be his first major signing since taking charge permanently as Newcastle boss.

Duff joined Chelsea for £17m in 2003 as one of Roman Abramovich's first big-money recruits and has won two Premiership titles in two seasons.

But he has found competition fierce at Chelsea with Joe Cole, Arjen Robben and Shaun Wright- Phillips all battling for places. And Mourinho may use a new diamond midfield formation, which would limit his chances even further.

Mourinho, who yesterday publicly confirmed his interest in Arsenal's Ashley Cole for the first time, admitted that he would like Duff to stay but is now resigned to losing him in the next 48 hours.

Mourinho said: "I love Damien as a player and as a person and I can understand what he has in his heart. After that, it becomes business. He is such a good player it will not be easy business."

Magpies steal a march on Spurs in chase for Duff

DAMIEN Duff's representatives are expected to arrive on Tyneside this morning as Newcastle look to scupper the Chelsea winger's proposed move to Tottenham.

The Magpies have already contacted the champions to sound out the possibility of a surprise move for the Republic of Ireland international, whose current contract expires at the end of next season.

And, with Jose Mourinho yesterday admitting that the Blues have reluctantly resigned themselves to losing the 27-year-old, Newcastle have leapfrogged Spurs in the race to secure Duff's services.

continued...

Tottenham boss Martin Jol has spent most of the summer tracking the unsettled midfielder and the White Hart Lane outfit had a £7m bid rejected by the Chelsea hierarchy earlier this week.

They were expected to up their offer to around £8m over the weekend, but sources in London suggest Newcastle have already paved the way for a similar approach provided they can agree terms with Duff's representatives.

Tottenham have already initiated similar discussions, although their inability to agree personal terms has enabled the Magpies to pursue their own interest in the Irishman.

Duff currently earns around £70,000-a-week at Stamford Bridge, and Tottenham are demanding he takes a significant pay cut in order to fit into their existing wage structure.

With Newcastle's weekly budget having shrunk by around £140,000-a-week following Alan Shearer's retirement and the departure of Lee Bowyer to West Ham, the Tyneside outfit are in a strong bargaining position when it comes to negotiating new contracts.

They will also be hoping that their new captain, Scott Parker, a former team-mate of Duff's, will be able to help market the Magpies as a viable alternative the substitute bench at Chelsea.

Newcastle still need to sign a new centre-forward before the Premiership season begins on August 19, but Roeder has also been looking to recruit an additional midfielder this summer.

His protracted interest in Fulham contract rebel Steed Malbranque appears to be at an end, while Chelsea's decision to sell Duff means another of Newcastle's transfer targets, Shaun Wright-Phillips, has been taken out of the equation.

Therefore, Duff has suddenly emerged as a key transfer target, with Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd desperate to dispel the air of uncertainty that has accompanied Michael Owen's latest injury problem and last weekend's disappointing 1-1 draw with Lillestrom.

Signing the 58-time international would be a considerable coup. It would also allow the Magpies to consider Spanish approaches for Albert Luque.

While both Roeder and Shepherd spent yesterday in Norway preparing for tomorrow's Intertoto Cup third-round decider, the Magpies are expected to send a senior delegation back to England this morning in order to initiate contract talks with Duff's representatives.

The 27-year-old has spent three successful seasons at Stamford Bridge since making a £17m move from Blackburn in July 2003.

But despite his reputation as one of the most dangerous wide-men in the game, Duff was little more than a peripheral figure during the bulk of last season.

He made just 18 Premiership starts as Chelsea romped to their second successive league title, and Mourinho last night admitted he could not expect to be any more involved this season.

That has backed Duff into a corner and, provided he refuses to accept Tottenham's offer of a substantially reduced pay packet, Newcastle look to be one of the few Premiership clubs with both the resources and the will to profit.

"Damien Duff is a player I like and I have a fantastic and open relationship with him," said Mourinho, who also revealed that Arjen Robben would not be leaving Chelsea this summer. "Because of that great relationship, we are thinking together about all the possibilities.

"The possibilities are he can stay with us or he can move to another club. But he is a player we are happy to keep.

"In my squad there are always a few players I want to leave and a lot of players I'm desperate to keep. And there are always a couple of players I would like to keep but I have no courage to keep when I can't promise they will be playing 75 per cent of the matches.

"I like Damien as a player and as a person. I listened to him for a couple of hours and I could understand what he has in his mind. After that it becomes business. He's such a good player we will do good business with another club."

Meanwhile, reports in the Norwegian press have suggested Newcastle are lining up a possible move for the player who scored against them last weekend.

Lillestrom midfielder Robert Koren is out of contract at the end of the current Norwegian season and the Magpies are reported to be lining up a cut-price deal.

l Kaiser Chiefs set up a second meeting with Manchester United as they beat Orlando Pirates 2-0 in the third Vodacom Challenge match in Rustenburg, South Africa last night. Former Charlton striker Shaun Bartlett gave the home side the perfect start with a goal in the fifth minute, heading in David Mathebula's cross.

The Chiefs secured victory when Gert Schalkwyk added a second. They now play Manchester United on Saturday.

Newcastle have met Chelsea's valuation after outbidding Tottenham, whose initial offer was just £5m because of his poor injury record.

162396[/snapback]

;)

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

With regards to him initially being linked to Spurs, there's a rumour going around down this way that Chelsea have agreed to offer any player they're willing to sell to Spurs first as part of the sweetner for the whole Frank Arnesen carry on last summer...

If this turns out to be true it looks like a lot of you are going to have to apologise to Mr Akabusi for your sarky start to this thread. ;)

If this turns out to be true it looks like a lot of you are going to have to apologise to Mr Akabusi for your sarky start to this thread. ;)

162412[/snapback]

Just been on SSN ;)

162427[/snapback]

What did they say mate? Are they just reporting that it's in the papers, or are they reporting on it independent of what the papers have said?

162412[/snapback]

Just been on SSN ;)

162427[/snapback]

What did they say mate? Are they just reporting that it's in the papers, or are they reporting on it independent of what the papers have said?

162428[/snapback]

"Damien Duff will be flying to Tyneside today to discuss a possible transfer'

Then some token picures of Duff getting into several vehicles.

'This comes after it was reported that Newcastle United are prepared to outbid Tottenham Hotspurs, for the Chelsea winger'