Damien Duff

Akabusi

If this turns out to be true it looks like a lot of you are going to have to apologise to Mr Akabusi for your sarky start to this thread. ;)

162412[/snapback]

Just been on SSN ;)

162427[/snapback]

What did they say mate? Are they just reporting that it's in the papers, or are they reporting on it independent of what the papers have said?

162428[/snapback]

saying hes on tyneside for talks

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spurs are gonna be pissed if we pull this one off - particularly after we beat them to Scott Parker's signature as well! ;)

Spurs are gonna be pissed if we pull this one off - particularly after we beat them to Scott Parker's signature as well! ;)

162444[/snapback]

But we won't pull it off because he's going to Liverpool isnt' he. ;)

I'm happy if wor mate Kris is reet and we all have to eat humble pie like. Should he arrive, does anyone reckon N'Zog could do a job at left-back? I've thought about this in the past and I reckon he could but due to our needing him on the left-wing it's never really been an issue.

Could we not play Duff up front in the Bellamy (fast annoying bloke) role and keep Zog on the left wing? Bellamy wasn't prolific in front of goal, but his running and pace created opportunities for others, and he chipped in with goals as well. Or am I doing a reverse Souness?

Could we not play Duff up front in the Bellamy (fast annoying bloke) role and keep Zog on the left wing?  Bellamy wasn't prolific in front of goal, but his running and pace created opportunities for others, and he chipped in with goals as well.  Or am I doing a reverse Souness?

162449[/snapback]

Nah, good point. I think Duff could play there (pretty sure he's played that role a few times for Rep. of Ireland).

Could we not play Duff up front in the Bellamy (fast annoying bloke) role and keep Zog on the left wing?  Bellamy wasn't prolific in front of goal, but his running and pace created opportunities for others, and he chipped in with goals as well.  Or am I doing a reverse Souness?

162449[/snapback]

Sounds good me me.

I think Zog would do well at left back but i wonder if it would be a waste of talent and if his contract is up in the summer he could well leave.

If it comes off I think Zog will be moving inside to a three man midfield with Emre and Parker with Duff joing a three man attack with Milner and Ameobi or Luque.

It's been well documented that Charlie prefers a more central role.

If it comes off I think Zog will be moving inside to a three man midfield with Emre and Parker with Duff joing a three man attack with Milner and Ameobi or Luque.

162453[/snapback]

Well I like my idea better, so ;)

Plus we could finally stop talking about Bellamy if we had someone doing his job - think how good that would be!

162453[/snapback]

Aye, he says that but I've always thought he looks a bit out of his depth there whereas his best performances have been out wide. He has the attributes to play wide too.

162453[/snapback]

Charlie Brown? ;)

162453[/snapback]

Well I like my idea better, so ;)

Plus we could finally stop talking about Bellamy if we had someone doing his job - think how good that would be!

162457[/snapback]

Still can't believe he went to that red scousers for 5M!

Blackburn qualified for Europe and made a 2m profit out of him.

Thank you Souness you fucking .... he wait was this the plan all along for his beloved pool ;)

Zog pushes inside a canny bit anyway, but I've never thought he looked that good in the centre of midfield. Perhaps a long run out there will do him good. If this Duff signing is true, then it's a coup and a half by the board like.

Zog pushes inside a canny bit anyway, but I've never thought he looked that good in the centre of midfield. Perhaps a long run out there will do him good. If this Duff signing is true, then it's a coup and a half by the board like.

162463[/snapback]

...or a failing on behalf of the Spurs board...

162453[/snapback]

Aye, he says that but I've always thought he looks a bit out of his depth there whereas his best performances have been out wide. He has the attributes to play wide too.

162459[/snapback]

Tbf he has only been played there when we were fucked for midfielders so he was alongside someone like Faye or Clarke. He might be a lot different if he was there with Parker and Emre!

I really like Duff but I'd much rather see a propper striker like Kuyt here.

Tbf he has only been played there when we were fucked for midfielders so he was alongside someone like Faye or Clarke.  He might be a lot different if he was there with Parker and Emre!

I really like Duff but I'd much rather see a propper striker like Kuyt here.

We only signed proper players when Souness was here.

The BBC still aint biting.

162483[/snapback]

.com are:

We understand that a deal could go through today (Friday), meaning that the signing wouldn't be dependent on a successful conclusion to our Intertoto Cup tie.

The 27 year-old Balyboden-born winger has played on both wings, as a forward and even at left back since joining Chelsea in 2003.

While we're long-standing admirers of the player, we'd surely be buying him for his goal-making ability, providing the bullets for someone else to fire. Duff has netted 19 times in 125 Chelsea appearances - we need someone who can equal that tally in a season.

Duff would encounter plenty of familiar faces at Gallowgate, including international colleagues past and present in the shape of Stephen Carr and Shay Given, plus fellow former Chelsea players Celestine Babayaro and Scott Parker. 

PS: The Chronicle can genuinely came that they were first with the transfer news, running the story in May 2000 when the player was at Ewood.

162453[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure Souness is the only one who's ever said that, and, as has already been said, he's looked pretty out of his depth when played there...by Souness. As for him playing at left-back, he's always tracking back as he's got the commitment and energy, but he's a pretty woeful tackler.

Very exciting winger, all the attributes; can't see him adapting to another position.

Oh, and Duff has played up front for Ireland a couple of times, and I think a few more for the U21s, he's looked reasonable at it, can't see him filling Bellamy's boots, he's not annoying enough.

I'm a little underwhelmed at the price we're paying, as I fear Shola is going to be our main target man, but maybe it's a sign that there's more money to spend than we think? Or Freddie is expanding into the lucrative Down Syndrome market and hoping the extra shirt sales will cover this transfer.