Damien Duff

Akabusi

Spurs fans will be sooooooo pissed if we sign Duff. They have an 89* page thread on the "Latest details on Duff deal" on their forum...  ;)

* correct at time of printing...

162535[/snapback]

Surprise surprise, that place is full of bitter bullshit! The same people who earlier in the thread are going on about the arrival off Duff "bringing it altogether" are now on about the fact he's obviously not good enough for them! ;)

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An acronym is a word made up from the initial letters of a group of words. 

162629[/snapback]

;) It appears I have learnt something new, that I could pass onto several professors.

As for starting sentences with 'and', language evolves, can you tell me a reason why I shouldn't? And I only corrected you as you were being a pedant, Renton and ocassionally Alex are the ocassional victims of my pedant wrath, for entirely different reasons.

Are you being stupid on purpose. I didnt say we had. Im responding to the comments of people who said 'IF WE DID BUY HIM HE COULD PLAY THE BELLAMY ROLE'

zippy longstocking

162608[/snapback]

He could play the Bellamy role. He could also play on the left or right wing. Now are you disobeying me on purpose?

162613[/snapback]

the Bellamy role? The one were he was Shearers legs? Dont say he's coming back again!!

What happeend to researching players backgrounds more, not signing injury prone players? Duffs recent record at least isnt great.

162629[/snapback]

;) It appears I have learnt something new, that I could pass onto several professors.

As for starting sentences with 'and', language evolves, can you tell me a reason why I shouldn't? And I only corrected you as you were being a pedant, Renton and ocassionally Alex are the ocassional victims of my pedant wrath, for entirely different reasons.

162640[/snapback]

Starting a sentence with 'And' is perfectly acceptable I believe, check the Bible out. Also I saw it in the Telegraph once so it must be ok ;)

3 people seem to think so. Or did you happen to miss all that.

162615[/snapback]

So, would you say that it was Bellamy's goal scoring that made him so crucial to us?

162622[/snapback]

I never thought he was crucial to us.

162633[/snapback]

You're wrong there like. His pace and running was one of the most important factors in our success during that time.

162629[/snapback]

162640[/snapback]

Starting a sentence with 'And' is perfectly acceptable I believe, check the Bible out. Also I saw it in the Telegraph once so it must be ok ;)

162642[/snapback]

And did those feet, in ancient times..... etc :lol:

Spurs fans will be sooooooo pissed if we sign Duff. They have an 89* page thread on the "Latest details on Duff deal" on their forum...  ;)

162535[/snapback]

Surprise surprise, that place is full of bitter bullshit! The same people who earlier in the thread are going on about the arrival off Duff "bringing it altogether" are now on about the fact he's obviously not good enough for them! ;)

162638[/snapback]

What I'm finding interesting on there is their "NUFC contributor" has a very familiar avatar! Fucking hell, I only started to use it this week! Wonder if he's a member on here or just a lurker? :lol:

http://www.gg-chat.net/phpBB2/profile.php?...rofile&u=100414

I never thought he was crucial to us. People have short memories. He had a decent season when we finished 3rd but apart from that his goal scoring was average at best (27 in 87 in the league), his temprement on the pitch was horrendous, and he couldnt stay out of trouble of the pitch either!

He was a fast runner yes, stick dyer up front if thats what makes such a crucial player!?

The couple of seasons we finished in champions league places we had robert in the form of his life swinging in crosses for shearer,as was nobby. Yes bellamy chipped in well but he played better football in his one year at blackburn than he ever did here. As did Milner and Nobby at Villa.

But that is all irrelevant because it still doesnt change the fact that we are spending 10mil on a winger when we only have 1 recognised striker. And that is Shola 'im fucking gash' Ameobi

162633[/snapback]

He is probably the most effective player I have ever seen, as a footballer he was average; and that has fuck all to do with my memory. Can you do me a favour and stop assuming people are deluded or have poor memories when they disagree with you?

162642[/snapback]

Well, considering they're all rhetorical devices, and language is about effective communication, it takes a inutile pedant to pick up on these things tbh.

What happeend to researching players backgrounds more, not signing injury prone players? Duffs recent record at least isnt great.

162641[/snapback]

44 appearances in 04/05 and 40 last season isn't a bad record, certainly an improvement on most of our squad.

162535[/snapback]

162638[/snapback]

What I'm finding interesting on there is their "NUFC contributor" has a very familiar avatar! Fucking hell, I only started to use it this week! Wonder if he's a member on here or just a lurker? :lol:

http://www.gg-chat.net/phpBB2/profile.php?...rofile&u=100414

162647[/snapback]

Greg is a member on here and has been since the days of the old forums, hardly posts on here anymore though.

162615[/snapback]

So, would you say that it was Bellamy's goal scoring that made him so crucial to us?

162622[/snapback]

162633[/snapback]

You're wrong there like. His pace and running was one of the most important factors in our success during that time.

162643[/snapback]

Ok, but we dont have that team anymore. we dont have shearer to finish most of his chances, we dont have nobby and robert chipping in, so bringing in duff to play that role wont work.

That post on the spurs forum was spot on. If we get Duff it will be to shut the fans up for a bit. Am i the only one that thinks zoggy was one of our best players last year? I cant see any fucking point in signing a £10mil replacement for him. especially when we supposedly have a £9.5mil replacement already on the bench.

162641[/snapback]

44 appearances in 04/05 and 40 last season isn't a bad record, certainly an improvement on most of our squad.

162655[/snapback]

definitely

though those figures dont really show it I could have swore he's had numerous injuries over the past couple of seasons.. must be old age

He does seem to have a reputation of being injured regularly over the past few seasons but they may have all been short-term injuries and he could be quick to heal.

Ok, but we dont have that team anymore. we dont have shearer to finish most of his chances, we dont have nobby and robert chipping in, so bringing in duff to play that role wont work.

Unless a striker is brought in before the start of the season; which will happen.

That post on the spurs forum was spot on. If we get Duff it will be to shut the fans up for a bit. Am i the only one that thinks zoggy was one of our best players last year? I cant see any fucking point in signing a £10mil replacement for him. especially when we supposedly have a £9.5mil replacement already on the bench.

Duff can also play on the right or off the main striker.

162657[/snapback]

Edited by DotBum

I never thought he was crucial to us. People have short memories. He had a decent season when we finished 3rd but apart from that his goal scoring was average at best (27 in 87 in the league), his temprement on the pitch was horrendous, and he couldnt stay out of trouble of the pitch either!

He was a fast runner yes, stick dyer up front if thats what makes such a crucial player!?

The couple of seasons we finished in champions league places we had robert in the form of his life swinging in crosses for shearer,as was nobby. Yes bellamy chipped in well but he played better football in his one year at blackburn than he ever did here. As did Milner and Nobby at Villa.

But that is all irrelevant because it still doesnt change the fact that we are spending 10mil on a winger when we only have 1 recognised striker. And that is Shola 'im fucking gash' Ameobi

162633[/snapback]

He is probably the most effective player I have ever seen, as a footballer he was average; and that has fuck all to do with my memory. Can you do me a favour and stop assuming people are deluded or have poor memories when they disagree with you?

162648[/snapback]

Only if you dont get upset with my feelings that Bellamy wasnt as good as you remember or that Duff cant/wont play the bellamy role. ;) swings and roundabouts mate.

3 people say the same thing about duff in the bellamy role and i get called a liar for saying they said it :lol:

162615[/snapback]

162622[/snapback]

162633[/snapback]

162643[/snapback]

162657[/snapback]

I can't really argue (as much as I'd like to) with that. It makes no sense to blow our whole transfer budget on one player who doesn't address out major problem.

If we also sign an out and out goal scorer Duff will add a lot in terms of pace, work rate, assists and flexibility (either flank, second striker and changes of formation) but at this stage is does look more like a trophy signing than a carefully considered move to complete our squad.

Only if you dont get upset with my feelings that Bellamy wasnt as good as you remember or that Duff cant/wont play the bellamy role.  ;) swings and roundabouts mate.

3 people say the same thing about duff in the bellamy role and i get called a liar for saying they said it  :lol:

162670[/snapback]

How is it swings and roundabouts that I don't agree with the conclusion you have reached, but you think I could only have reached my conclusion while posting from a nursing home? And I don't think I've been upset by your opinion...I can give you an honest opinion on that, if you promise not to get upset.

I thought Bellamy (even more than Robert) was the biggest single reason for our being transformed from being also-rans to contenders. He was probably the best player at the club.

Unless a striker is brought in before the start of the season; which will happen.

Duff can also play on the right or off the main striker.

162657[/snapback]

162669[/snapback]

I feel like im banging my head against a wall.

firstly we need 2 or 3 strikers not just one. If our 1 new striker gets a knock we are back to square one

secondly, you could play duff up front with schevchenko if you wanted. he still isnt a striker. He still not going to get you more than a handful of goals a season, and he still hasnt solved our problem.

Have we not had enough of square pegs in round holes the last few years?

Dyer up front!

Luque up front?

Milner up front?

Bowyer RW?

Dyer RW?

Taylor RB?

why cant we just once buy a player for a position we need? Everyone else seems to see that 10mil for a left winger is stupid when we need 2 or 3 strikers. regardless of whether he can fill in that role when needed.

I'm wondering whether the Zog isn't on the move tbh. He still hasn't signed the contract he was given a couple of months back and this is the last year of his contract. Maybe this is a pre-emptive move to make sure we have a replacement in before we lose him. Let's face it, if he continues improving at the rate he is at the minute, he'll soon have outgrown us.

No-one's saying Duff's a striker, do you understand the difference between a striker and a forward? I would say we'll sign a quality striker to replace Shearer and Shola will act as his backup.

Roeder says he'll get in 5-6 new players, he's got my confidence for now, I think he'll manage to get 3 or 4.

I don't know why you feel you're banging your head off a wall. You said Zoggy would be replaced by Duff, I pointed out that Duff could also play in two other positions. You said Duff would be a waste without someone like Shearer, I said that player was incoming. What are you having difficulty with?

Duff set to wing inJul 21 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United are confident they can pull off the £10m signing of Damien Duff from Chelsea early next week.

The Chronicle revealed United's move for Duff in our later editions yesterday, and if Freddy Shepherd and Glenn Roeder can pull the deal off, the Republic of Ireland winger would be the first signing of the summer.

And it will be a signing which will be surely welcomed by United supporters as it would give the club the sort of left- winger they have had in the past in the likes of Chris Waddle and David Ginola, but have lacked recently.

Neither Shepherd nor Roeder want their targets to be known until everything is signed and sealed, but Chelsea had a Press day yesterday when it emerged Spurs had a big rival for Duff - and that rival is Newcastle United.

Spurs thought they had Duff in the bag after making an £8m bid last weekend.

But Chelsea would prefer that their £17m signing from Blackburn Rovers a couple of seasons ago ended up at St James' Park and not across London at White Hart Lane.

And while United are hoping to make Duff a permanent signing, they would still take Shaun Wright-Phillips on loan from Stamford Bridge.

But they realise that Jose Mourinho would not want to lose two wingers even though he still has Joe Cole and Arjen Robben.

Knowing Roeder as I do, it would not surprise me in the least if the United boss has talked to Cole, one of his former West Ham United proteges, about Duff.

And if he has, he will have received a glowing reference from the English international about his Chelsea colleague who will tick all the boxes Roeder will insist on when he makes any signings. Roeder will have spoken to both Shay Given and Stephen Carr about Duff, a player who has been so vital to the Republic of Ireland in recent seasons.

Indeed, when I walked with Shay Given from United's chartered 737 jet to the luggage collection point at Oslo airport on Wednesday lunchtime, the subject of the man he calls "Duffers" came up.

Quite naturally, the United keeper was non-committal about whether his big Irish pal would be joining him at St James' Park.

And when I suggested that if he did it would mean United would be getting a player who always scored against him, Given laughed and said: "We'll just have to wait and see."

United face an anxious wait over the weekend, but there's a distinct feeling here in Norway that they will get their man - and there will be another couple following him in.

:lol: at the bit in bold. Robert completely written out of NUFC history.