Damien Duff

Akabusi

Irish cream

Jul 22 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

The signing of Damien Duff from Chelsea has lifted the whole Newcastle United squad. That was the news here from Norway today before Newcastle United went in against Lillestrom for their InterToto Cup second leg tie in Oslo.

And the Chronicle can reveal that after it was initially thought that United had paid £10m for the Republic of Ireland international, they have in fact signed Duff for £5m.

Indeed, Duff turned down both Liverpool and Spurs to join his Irish colleagues Shay Given and Stephen Carr at St James' Park.

But United have accepted that they will not get Shaun Wright-Phillips to come on loan and join his former Stamford Bridge colleague.

They know that after paying £24m for Wright-Phillips just 12 months ago, Jose Mourinho cannot be seen to let him go with the former Manchester City winger worth a heck of a lot less these days.

Duff will travel to Tyneside tomorrow and meet his new boss Glenn Roeder, but Monday morning's Press conference has been put back until the afternoon because the former Blackburn winger insists on training with his new colleagues during the morning.

United and Chelsea have been in negotiations for the last four days and both clubs announced that a fee had been agreed early last night.

A United source told me today: "The signing is all the squad is talking about here in Norway. It has given everyone a big lift.

"At the same time they know it is a wake-up call for some of them - like Charles N'Zogbia - but don't forget he's only 20 years old and you cannot expect him to play 38 games a season.

"In any case, if Damien Duff is to play in his natural position wide on the left, Charles can always switch to the centre of midfield."

If the transfer has lifted the United squad here in Oslo, it has also lifted the whole of Tyneside.

Indeed, the United source added: "Our fans seem to think that it is a transfer that makes so much sense. We know our supporters are clamouring for new signings, but we have got to be patient, and that's what we've been.

"We know that in our current position we cannot make any mistakes, and the chairman and the manager have been meticulous in working out just who we should bring to St James' Park.

"We don't want any signings that we might regret by the end of the season and I don't think you can say that about Damien Duff.

"In fact, the quality of Duff shows just what kind of signings we are aiming for."

Duff is almost signed and sealed and I understand United are already on their way to the next signing.

I've heard a few whispers, and I must say if they come off, United fans will be more than pleased.

The both bits in bold stick out for me. If the first is true it would be a fantastic piece of business, albeit Spurs had a 7m rejected so there could be some future payments being included. We'll see when the stock exchange anouncement comes out.

The second bit in bold makes even less sense to me than the transfer. But I am obviously totally dumb and clueless. :lol:

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Alan Oliver we might be saying that it's £10m as a favour to Chelsea.  Presumably we'll be lying to the stock exchange as a favour to Chelsea too, the fucking TWAT!

163181[/snapback]

Did he say this, I only was half listening to it. :lol: If so, he is even a bigger idiot than I thought, delibaretly releasing false stock market announcements. ;)

According to Alan Oliver we might be saying that it's £10m as a favour to Chelsea.  Presumably we'll be lying to the stock exchange as a favour to Chelsea too, the fucking TWAT!

163181[/snapback]

Did he say this, I only was half listening to it. :lol: If so, he is even a bigger idiot than I thought, delibaretly releasing false stock market announcements. ;)

163187[/snapback]

Aye, right at the start of the programme. The bloke is nothing more than an average thick fucker with an opinion on everything that you'll find in any pub across Newcastle. He just happens to be the lead sportswriter at the local paper.

Roeder closing on Duff

Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder says the club are 'very, very close' to signing Chelsea winger Damien Duff.

The former Blackburn Rovers man looks set to continue his career in the North East after failing to hold down a regular first-team place in Jose Mourinho's squad last season.

The Republic of Ireland international is poised to make his move to The Magpies, with both clubs believed to have agreed on a fee of around £10 million, while Duff himself has concurred on personal terms at St James' Park.

The 27-year-old needs only to complete a medical with the Tynesiders before sealing his transfer, with former West Ham United manager Roeder confirming the move is all but complete.

"We're very, very close, he has just got to get through his medical," Roeder told Setanta Sports 2 before Newcastle's Intertoto Cup clash away to Lillestrom.

"We're not expecting any problems and it's just a question of getting the okay from our doctor and then it will be rubber-stamped.

"I can't tell you how pleased I am about getting a player of that quality. I would think it will excite our fans as well.

"I played for Newcastle - admittedly a long time ago - but we had the likes of Chrissy Waddle playing in that team that I played in and (the fans) love ball-players who can go past players and get crosses in and Damien is that type of player."

Roeder hopes the arrival of Duff is the first of several new faces that Newcastle are able to sign before the end of August.

"You can only do one (transfer) at a time, let's get Damien into the club first and hopefully that will be done by Monday afternoon for sure, then we can start talking about the next player," Roeder added.

"But we've got a list of players now that we want to start working our way through."

Martin O'Neill next Villa boss, not as nailed on as Duff was but fairly convinced. Probably only willing to put my 1992 Barcelona Olympics 400m Hurdles Bronze on this one.

And he would taken our job if he was offered it, he wasn't after not being too enthusiastic when he was first sounded out.

I've heard a very strong rumour that there's a reason why Chelsea's fees are undisclosed. Unfortunately I can't go into it here.

I've heard a very strong rumour that there's a reason why Chelsea's fees are undisclosed.  Unfortunately I can't go into it here.

163309[/snapback]

Transfer fees received you mean?

Done deal. He's on a five year contract according to .cock.

163321[/snapback]

0,,10278~2950310,00.gif
Duff Signs For United

NEWCASTLE United have announced that Damien Duff has passed his medical, and signed a five-year contract with the Magpies.

Duff, who started as a junior with Blackburn Rovers, made 190 starts for the Ewood Park outfit - with a further 33 from the bench - netting 35 goals.

He then moved to Chelsea for £17m, and has picked up two Premiership winners medals during his time at Stamford Bridge wher he started 95 games in all competitions.

The Republic of Ireland international, who has 58 caps and seven goals, will be unveiled at St. James' Park on Monday afternoon.

Duff has scored three times against United in recent seasons, once for Blackburn in their 5-1 defeat at Gallowgate and then in the 5-0 and 3-0 defeats at Stamford Bridge.

Source

Nice one! No mention of price yet...

Newcastle United have now completed the signing of Chelsea's Damien Duff after the player concurred on a five-year contract.

The Republic of Ireland wide man was engaged in talks with Newcastle on Saturday, with a deal quickly thrashed out between the two parties.

Duff has put pen-to-paper on a five-year deal at St James' Park and is to be paraded before the media on Monday afternoon.

Although the exact figure Newcastle have paid Chelsea to secure the services of Duff remains undisclosed, it has been suggested that £10 million was enough to convince the Premiership champions to sell.

Duff's capture is sure to delight the Newcastle faithful, with the player fitting the prototype outlined by manager Glenn Roeder, with regards to the type of performer he desires to bring to the club.

Roeder had spoken of the need to sign players who have proven Premiership credentials and Duff fulfills such criteria, having won the title twice in his time at Stamford Bridge.

Duff's signature caps an excellent weekend for The Magpies, who earlier on Saturday secured Uefa Cup football for the forthcoming campaign after successfully negotiating an Intertoto Cup tie with Norwegian club Lillestrom.

it only takes 1 shit season to damage a managers reputation for life, steve bruce.

163278[/snapback]

To be fair Bruce's reputation of being a cock of the highest order has never been in doubt.

Nice, we look very strong on the left now.

We still need to sign at least one striker and a full back tbh.

163341[/snapback]

and two centre backs...

Nice, we look very strong on the left now.

We still need to sign at least one striker and a full back tbh.

163341[/snapback]

and two centre backs...

163645[/snapback]

A target man and fullbacks would be my priorities. I'd make do with Titus, Moore, Taylor and Ramage at CB. Off-load Bumpong, obviously.

Release to the Stock Exchange only 30 mins ago....

Company Newcastle United PLC 

TIDM NCU

Headline Statement re Damien Duff

Released    07:00 24-Jul-06

Number 5979G

RNS Number:5979G

Newcastle United PLC

24 July 2006

NEWCASTLE UNITED PLC

Statement re: Damien Duff

The Board of Newcastle United PLC are pleased to announce that contracts have

been exchanged with Chelsea Football Club for the transfer of Damien Duff.

The player, having agreed terms, is currently undergoing a medical.

- Ends -

This information is provided by RNS

The company news service from the London Stock Exchange

END

Fucking hell, we can't even release the correct statements - I presume this is one they wanted to send out Friday evening? :lol:

NEWCASTLE UNITED PLC

Transfer Agreement - Damien Duff

The Directors of Newcastle United PLC are pleased to announce that Damien Duff

passed his medical and his transfer from Chelsea Football Club has been

completed for a fee of £5m.

The player has agreed personal terms and signed a 5 year contract ending in June

NEWCASTLE UNITED PLC

Transfer Agreement - Damien Duff

The Directors of Newcastle United PLC are pleased to announce that Damien Duff

passed his medical and his transfer from Chelsea Football Club has been

completed for a fee of £5m.

The player has agreed personal terms and signed a 5 year contract ending in June

163722[/snapback]

haha spuds fans must be spitting blood!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Didn't the Spurs ITK fans claim a deal was done and he was having a medical? How come they're all claiming now that Chelsea turned them down, not Duff?

Heard that extra payments will be involved if we qualify for Europe, and they've now got first option on one of our players. Guess that's Zoggy.

Jesus Christ, that is a bargain.  Good work Shepherd.

163728[/snapback]

Cost half of what we paid for Laurent Robert - wonder if HTL thinks we've "suitably replaced" him now? :lol: