Damien Duff

Akabusi

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to think that tottenham are a threat to chelski..

huh?

Am i missing something>?

163791[/snapback]

They seem to forget that if we can make 2 or 3 good signings in positions we need to strengthen we'd be as much of a threat to Chelsea as they are.

Few comments from the BBC message boards:

Duff for £5m is ridiculous! This is surely the worst career decision he could have made. He clearly isn't the down to earth footballer that everyone thought but instead is just a money grabber. Newcastle won't play CL football in the next 5 years at least, they just don't have the players or the manager to get there. Challenging for 6th is about their limit. What a shame the world won't see Duff's talent on display

I am a Chelsea fan and i think DUFF is a great signing for you Newcastle boys, personally i didn't want duffy to go but he has said that ''he wants to play football'' which is understanable he dosen't wont to win trophy's etc he just wants to play.

This is why DUFF was our star player for chelsea he can play on the wing cut in on his left foot on the right wing, he is a center forward/midfield, has helped us win to prem titles and finaly he is a CHAMPION:

So how can you say DUFF isn't worthy of the Newcastle squad he is your only star player at the moment.

With the fan-base and the size of St James' Park Newcastle should have pushed on from the John Hall years, that they haven't says nothing about the supporters and everything about the board.

Freddie Shepherd I'm pleased to say hasn't a clue. You've just got 100,000 a week Shearer off your wage bill and blown most of it on strengthening a position in which you're already strong (N'Zogbia's a real talent in my opinion) in the only area of the pitch (midfield) where you don't need more players. What is more I suspect it was done at Shepherd's rather than Roeder's behest.

Duff could and should turn out a great signing, but for every Duff there will be a Kluivert or Luque or Souness. Until you cut this out you're always going to punch below your weight and leave the door open for well run clubs like my own (Spurs) to forge ahead and who knows, eventually bridge the gap to the big four.

Very good post. This is the same problem that Newcastle have had for many years - big "trophy" signings with no real plan behind them. Look at their squad now, and for all the money they've spent, it still looks desperately thin. Aston Villa are another club that are guilty of this, spending big money occasionally (£9m Angel, £7m Baros etc) but with no real plan for the future to develop a strong side. And of course, the most famous example are Leeds.

The opposite of this is Arsenal, whose best signings have generally been very cheap young players from around Europe, with a few bigger transfer fees (Wiltord, Reyes etc) thrown in. Spurs have done the same in the last couple of years, although with more British players. These teams have structures in place to get the most out of their young talent and help them develop into top-class players. Then there are teams like Bolton, who look to pay low transfer fees but high wages to old players, so they can bring in quality that they could not otherwise afford. All these teams have a plan for continuing to perform as well as the size of their clubs will allow them to.

Until Newcastle's transfer policy moves into the 21st century, they will always struggle to match the top teams, despite their big budget and fanbase.

I hope to God he isnt on 100k a week.

As much as I love signing new players it scares me to think we spend £17mil and 100kpw on owen. 80kpw on dyer. £9.5mil and god knows how much on Luque. Parker, Given, Emre and Boumsong will also be on 50-60k pw.

Considering we havent been in the champions league for a couple of seasons now this money is going to have to start being paid back soon!

FFS wouldnt be able to walk the streets if he used his heart over his head and we ended up doing a leeds!

I think Boumsong is meant to be on £35-40k a week. Still a major stumbling block in terms of his going back to France though. Doubt Duff will be on £100k a week though, he'll be on a lot of money having said that - £60-70k wouldn't surprise me.

£5million is a steal.

However, putting my cynical hat on, could this all be a ploy to snap up one of the most promising youngsters we've had for years? Offering us a talented but out of favour and injury prone winger for a snip, in order to unsettle N'Zgobia whose place in the starting line up will now be under threat.

I'm glad that we've got Duff, but I really hope it isn't at the expense of the Zog.

Could see trouble ahead like

petrov

nobby

zoggy

emre

dyer

parker. 4 into 6 doesnt go and its only a matter of time til one of them takes a huff.

163779[/snapback]

Aye but realistically Can we rely on Dyer and Emre not to be injured? And Nobby is getting on which means he should be spending a bit more time on the sidelines.

I agree with what you said about wages, Duff may have only cost £5m but he'll be on a minimum of £60k pw which is £3m a year not to mention a hefty signing on fee which was supposedly why the Spurs deal broke down.

Edited by ewerk

I guess the £5m is actually the only payment, otherwise it would have to be stated wouldn't it?

163751[/snapback]

When we sold Jenas, I'm sure the SE announcement said 7m with a further 2m depending on other factors, so I'd guess it would have to be the same for Duff?

I'm quite excited by the prospect of Angel for 1m, quality cover.

I know I should know better, but I can't help but chuckle at that Spurs board.

:lol:

Anyways, Petrov would be a fantastic singning imo, and I wouldn't be against Angel providing it was no more than £1m, as said before he would make good cover if nothing else.

Pompey have already had a couple of bids for Petrov knocked back with word being that the last bid was over 4 million. Celtic are holding out for 5, I really cannot see us spending that on another midfielder so do not see him joining us tbh.

Duff could get in any squad in the league apart from chelski.

So other teams are a little bit jealous cause he was such a good bit of business.

I know I should know better, but I can't help but chuckle at that Spurs board.

Anyways, Petrov would be a fantastic singning imo, and I wouldn't be against Angel providing it was no more than £1m, as said before he would make good cover if nothing else.

163829[/snapback]

angel for £1M is great business I think, but cover for who? we still need a top quality striker dont we?

Pompey have already had a couple of bids for Petrov knocked back with word being that the last bid was over 4 million.  Celtic are holding out for 5, I really cannot see us spending that on another midfielder so do not see him joining us tbh.

163846[/snapback]

Just what I got told tbh. I was also told that a lot of the players don't belive Dyer will ever be back. Apparently his hamstring is fit but as soon as he does as little as half an hours running his muscles are totally knackerd!

As for Angel, would be decent cover at £1m but if we sign him before we get a top class striker I would be concerned and I'm sure some would be close to rioting!

Pompey have already had a couple of bids for Petrov knocked back with word being that the last bid was over 4 million.  Celtic are holding out for 5, I really cannot see us spending that on another midfielder so do not see him joining us tbh.

163846[/snapback]

Just what I got told tbh. I was also told that a lot of the players don't belive Dyer will ever be back. Apparently his hamstring is fit but as soon as he does as little as half an hours running his muscles are totally knackerd!

As for Angel, would be decent cover at £1m but if we sign him before we get a top class striker I would be concerned and I'm sure some would be close to rioting!

163854[/snapback]

Surley you mean £1 and you put the m on the end as a mistake? The bloke is PUMP!

I guess the £5m is actually the only payment, otherwise it would have to be stated wouldn't it?

163751[/snapback]

When we sold Jenas, I'm sure the SE announcement said 7m with a further 2m depending on other factors, so I'd guess it would have to be the same for Duff?

I'm quite excited by the prospect of Angel for 1m, quality cover.

163810[/snapback]

Company Newcastle United PLC 

TIDM NCU

Headline Transfer of Jermaine Jenas

Released    14:29 31-Aug-05

Number 6619Q

RNS Number:6619Q

Newcastle United PLC

31 August 2005

NEWCASTLE UNITED PLC

The Directors of Newcastle United PLC wish to announce that the transfer of

Jermaine Jenas (22) from Newcastle United to Tottenham Hotspur has been

finalised this morning.

The amount payable to Newcastle United by Tottenham Hotspur for the transfer of

the player's registration is £7million plus further sums, which are contingent

on player appearances and European competition qualification.

This information is provided by RNS

The company news service from the London Stock Exchange

END

Incidentally, I'm reading the Spurs board and they've banned someone called 'Ready Brek'......

Wonder who that might be! :lol:

163846[/snapback]

163854[/snapback]

Surley you mean £1 and you put the m on the end as a mistake? The bloke is PUMP!

163894[/snapback]

Name another striker of any quality that we could sign for £1m then?

Villa fans rate the guy; but surely you know better right?

Would anyone actually complain about Duff and Angel for £6m??

163915[/snapback]

Doubt it, Angel back in his day was knocking them in for River Plate and started well at Villa but i think at Newcastle he could be so much better. Playing with better players and higher calibre players i think Angel (for £1 million) could be a real hit.

Would anyone actually complain about Duff and Angel for £6m??

163915[/snapback]

Doubt it, Angel back in his day was knocking them in for River Plate and started well at Villa but i think at Newcastle he could be so much better. Playing with better players and higher calibre players i think Angel (for £1 million) could be a real hit.

163924[/snapback]

We'd rather have Torres, or Henry tbh

Does anyone else refer to Duff as "Dymian Doof" in a sort of Serge off Beverley Hills Cop way when they say it in their head?  Or is that just me? :lol: :lol:

163921[/snapback]

No, but I like it :lol:

If anyone's bored or needs cheering up at all today, this thread's likely to offer a hand.... :lol:

http://www.gg-chat.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52261

163785[/snapback]

That is one of the funniest things i have read, what planet are they on. Seems from reading this that the only reason we got Duffers is because

a) he is on £100k per week plus massive signing on fees

:lol: Spurs are one of the top 4 teams in the league and chelsea did not want to sell onto a team who they are threatened by

c) he obviously is not as good as they thought as he was only £5 mill and there is no such thing as a bargain.

d) Jol and spurs walked away from the deal because of his massive wage demands.

DUFF just chose us ahead of them, end of