Day out doon Sooth Shields..

Radgina

..on Sunday, Honda Formula 4-stroke offshore powerboat racing in Sandhaven Bay from 11.00a.m then a stroll along to Bents Park to watch "80's" icons Midge Urggh, China Crisis and Altered Images. A cracking fun day for all the family I say... ;)

What I want to know is why 80's is in quotes. Is it passe to mention that decade now? Or do you just not buy that's when they were at their peak.

Edited by Happy Face

I was brought up in South Shields like. When you go to King Street now (which I try to avoid tbh) it's so run-down, it's minging. Some serious investment required in the town-centre.

I was brought up in South Shields like.  When you go to King Street now (which I try to avoid tbh) it's so run-down, it's minging.  Some serious investment required in the town-centre.

162481[/snapback]

I don't know what you mean tbh.

There's not a single empty shop. There's some crap like the Ex-Catalogue store, but we've got our HMV and Woolies and WHSmith and Game, and Cafe Nero and Maccy Deez and JJB sports and Argos and Dixons and Curries and loads of wifey clothes shops etc like all the main streets in the land. And it's always heaving. All we're missing is some good blokes clothes shops. Serious investment has been made in building big new shops (Next, River Island, Debenhams and something else) on the land where the fire station used to be.

If you want to see somewhere run-down, look at Laygate. Or North Shields, Or Gatesheed, Or Sunderland.

I was brought up in South Shields like.  When you go to King Street now (which I try to avoid tbh) it's so run-down, it's minging.  Some serious investment required in the town-centre.

162481[/snapback]

There's not a single empty shop. There's some crap like the Ex-Catalogue store, but we've got our HMV and Woolies and WHSmith and Game, and Cafe Nero and Maccy Deez and JJB sports and Argos and Dixons and Curries and loads of wifey clothes shops etc like all the main streets in the land. And it's always heaving. All we're missing is some good blokes clothes shops. Serious investment has been made in building big new shops (Next, River Island, Debenhams and something else) on the land where the fire station used to be.

If you want to see somewhere run-down, look at Laygate. Or North Shields, Or Gatesheed, Or Sunderland.

162489[/snapback]

Does Shields still have fuck off huge sea gulls that occasionally eat the odd toddler?

162481[/snapback]

162489[/snapback]

Mebbes I need to go back and have a look, but last time I was there it looked as scabby as owt. I know North Shields is run-down, but I don't remember South Shields looking too much better.

Does Shields still have fuck off huge sea gulls that occasionally eat the odd toddler?

162495[/snapback]

One of the lads didn't play football for us last night. Excuse? His wife got attacked by a seagull. ;)

Gateshead town centre takes a bit of beating like. Not many places you see lasses with tattooed forearms.

162500[/snapback]

Not been down Shields Rd lately? You should try working here in the summer *shudders*

162495[/snapback]

Toddlers? I get attacked in my street and I'm seven foot four!

A cull is needed like.

Are they ever gonna knock that horrible car park in Gateshead town centre down? I remember when they were planning it a few years back, and Sylvester Stallone spoke out against it, because it was in a scene from Get Carter. What a knob!

162495[/snapback]

Toddlers? I get attacked in my street and I'm seven foot four!

A cull is needed like.

162507[/snapback]

Alkazelser in bread rolls.

Gateshead town centre takes a bit of beating like. Not many places you see lasses with tattooed forearms.

162500[/snapback]

Not been down Shields Rd lately? You should try working here in the summer *shudders*

162502[/snapback]

I used to work there so I know what you mean kiddah. I love the old black eye with a push chair combo on a young lass. Deed classy like. It's mental when the sun comes out there too isn't it? Everyone with practically nowt on and looking like a lobster come tea time.

Are they ever gonna knock that horrible car park in Gateshead town centre down?  I remember when they were planning it a few years back, and Sylvester Stallone spoke out against it, because it was in a scene from Get Carter.  What a knob!

162508[/snapback]

I dont know what youre on about. Like most warm blooded males, I could listen to Sly Stallone talk north east multi storey car parks all day. Big puff tbh.

Are they ever gonna knock that horrible car park in Gateshead town centre down?  I remember when they were planning it a few years back, and Sylvester Stallone spoke out against it, because it was in a scene from Get Carter.  What a knob!

162508[/snapback]

It's a listed building isn't it?

For its size, Gateshead town centre is the biggest shithole on the planet, with the possible exception of Sunderland.

162508[/snapback]

I dont know what youre on about. Like most warm blooded males, I could listen to Sly Stallone talk north east multi storey car parks all day. Big puff tbh.

162515[/snapback]

This one's on the SOUTH side of the Tyne though. You got that? ;)

162508[/snapback]

For its size, Gateshead town centre is the biggest shithole on the planet, with the possible exception of Sunderland.

162518[/snapback]

It would make any "Shit Buildings" list you could care to think of, but I'm not sure about it being a proper listed building. Why is it listed? ;)

162508[/snapback]

162518[/snapback]

It would make any "Shit Buildings" list you could care to think of, but I'm not sure about it being a proper listed building. Why is it listed? ;)

162521[/snapback]

Grade 2 listed building iirc, which is why they have difficulty demolishing it. Classic 60s architecture - used to have a restaurant on top. And of course, it should remain as a memorial to Alf Roberts, RIP.

162508[/snapback]

162518[/snapback]

I've not heard that before tbh but that doesn't mean it can't be demolished anyway as there are different grades of listed buildings etc. I think it's been earmarked for demolition for ages but I think the issue is over (amongst other things no doubt) the indoor market underneath it. It's an eyesore though.

162508[/snapback]

162518[/snapback]

162521[/snapback]

Grade 2 listed building iirc, which is why they have difficulty demolishing it. Classic 60s architecture - used to have a restaurant on top. And of course, it should remain as a memorial to Alf Roberts, RIP.

162522[/snapback]

coroalf.jpg

;)

162522[/snapback]

Aye, you can't get moved in Gateshead for all the tourists that come to smell the authentic piss tainted air in the stairwells.

I think the restaurant was either never used or died a death pretty soon. With hindsight, it probably wasn't a great idea like ;)

Does anyone think it's ironic that Gateshead has spent a fortune on some top attractions like the Baltic and the Sage, but presumably Newcastle reap the benefits through hotels, restaurants etc?

I suppose they have the Metro centre though, a major contriburary factor to the demise of the town centre and Sunderland.