Banned Moslem tries to hitch lift out of Lebanon w

Rob W

I have to say I think this is nerve of the first order!!

----------------------------------------------------

Banned cleric bids to flee Beirut

Controversial Muslim cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed, who was banned from the UK, has attempted to board a boat evacuating Britons from Lebanon.

Mr Mohammed argued he should be allowed back to see his children but was turned away by British officials.

The former leader of the al-Muhajiroun group was banned from the UK in August last year because his presence "was not conducive to the public good". The Royal Navy is evacuating thousands of Britons from the crisis region.

'Political views'

Mr Mohammed told BBC Radio Five Live what happened when he attempted to board the vessel on Thursday: "They said sorry, the only people who will be in the boat are those who have British citizenship and those who've got British passports. "I was living in the UK for over 20 years and I have never been granted British citizenship because of my political views, whereas my family were granted and this is really the difference."

On BBC Radio 4's Today programme Mr Mohammed said he wanted a visa to visit the UK to see his children, but did not want to overturn the government's decision to exclude him from the country.

'Bit of theatre'

Foreign Office Minister Lord Triesman, who is in Cyprus to observe the arrival of evacuated Britons, told Five Live he thought Mr Mohammed was trying to gain publicity. "The decision was taken by the Home Secretary that his presence in the United Kingdom was not conducive given his attitudes and given the way he's spoken of this country, the United Kingdom. It was not conducive for the well-being of the country. We've got about 30 immigration officers from the Home Office processing people who've got legitimate visas and no doubt they will be taking appropriate decisions but so far as I'm aware, he's made no application whatever to us to come in any case.

"It's a bit of theatre to be candid with you."

Lebanon rescue

Some 1,300 British citizens arrived in the Cypriot port of Limassol on HMS Bulwark on Friday before heading to RAF Akrotiri for flights to a reception centre at London's Gatwick Airport. They were evacuated along with several hundred foreign nationals. About 1,000 Britons had already been rescued from Lebanon, including 700 people on HMS York on Thursday. The conflict between Israel and Hezbollah militants based in Lebanon is continuing, following the capture of two Israeli soldiers.

I have to say I think this is nerve of the first order!!

----------------------------------------------------

Banned cleric bids to flee Beirut

Controversial Muslim cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed, who was banned from the UK, has attempted to board a boat evacuating Britons from Lebanon.

Mr Mohammed argued he should be allowed back to see his children but was turned away by British officials.

The former leader of the al-Muhajiroun group was banned from the UK in August last year because his presence "was not conducive to the public good".  The Royal Navy is evacuating thousands of Britons from the crisis region.

'Political views'

Mr Mohammed told BBC Radio Five Live what happened when he attempted to board the vessel on Thursday: "They said sorry, the only people who will be in the boat are those who have British citizenship and those who've got British passports.  "I was living in the UK for over 20 years and I have never been granted British citizenship because of my political views, whereas my family were granted and this is really the difference."

On BBC Radio 4's Today programme Mr Mohammed said he wanted a visa to visit the UK to see his children, but did not want to overturn the government's decision to exclude him from the country.

'Bit of theatre'

Foreign Office Minister Lord Triesman, who is in Cyprus to observe the arrival of evacuated Britons, told Five Live he thought Mr Mohammed was trying to gain publicity.    "The decision was taken by the Home Secretary that his presence in the United Kingdom was not conducive given his attitudes and given the way he's spoken of this country, the United Kingdom. It was not conducive for the well-being of the country.  We've got about 30 immigration officers from the Home Office processing people who've got legitimate visas and no doubt they will be taking appropriate decisions but so far as I'm aware, he's made no application whatever to us to come in any case.

"It's a bit of theatre to be candid with you."

Lebanon rescue

Some 1,300 British citizens arrived in the Cypriot port of Limassol on HMS Bulwark on Friday before heading to RAF Akrotiri for flights to a reception centre at London's Gatwick Airport. They were evacuated along with several hundred foreign nationals.  About 1,000 Britons had already been rescued from Lebanon, including 700 people on HMS York on Thursday.    The conflict between Israel and Hezbollah militants based in Lebanon is continuing, following the capture of two Israeli soldiers.

162423[/snapback]

I think thats the real beauty of this story. Shows how fair a country Britain is-he doesnt get citizenship because he's preaching hate, his family do get citizenship because they took the really difficult step of....not preaching hate. You hear too many stories about the process being arbitrary or unfair, but in actual fact it has common sense at its basic rudiments.