My computer's even more broken now...

Walliver

It won't start anymore. When I switch it on, it goes through all the loading up stuff, it gets to the Windows log in page and then after a second or two restarts itself. It does this on a continuous loop. Why does it do this ? :lol:

It won't start anymore.  When I switch it on, it goes through all the loading up stuff, it gets to the Windows log in page and then after a second or two restarts itself.  It does this on a continuous loop.  Why does it do this ? :lol:

162851[/snapback]

can you boot into safe mode ?

It won't start anymore.  When I switch it on, it goes through all the loading up stuff, it gets to the Windows log in page and then after a second or two restarts itself.  It does this on a continuous loop.  Why does it do this ? :lol:

162851[/snapback]

Not sure why its doing it, but I am only just getting my PC up and running after reformatting it having had the exact same thing.

Nothing specific but this sounds like a nasty little virus that circulated some years back... basically it set your machine at perpetual start up and deleted anything you tried to install. Hopefully not the case. Maybe some of the computer geeks* here can help you sort it and also know if that virus is still about.

*PC nerds know about computers and tell you what to do, geeks get it done.

Aye - that rings a bell... let me think - these links seem to mainly think its a hardware issue but there was a Sasser virus........ Symantec have a tool to remove it

http://www.mcse.ms/archive222-2004-8-953712.html

http://www.devhood.com/Messages/message_vi...hread_id=105516

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboar...rum/137301.html

Also please remember that there is a version of the Sasser virus that is "a rebooting virus" and before going nuts with hardware removal (which is the proper second approach) I would be asking questions about what AV you are using, whether or not it is current, and suggesting you go to online virus checkers to rule that out.

www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.removal.tool.html

Instead of giving me the option to go in safe mode, it asks me where I'd like to boot from. I've tried all the options but none of them seem to work. Hopefully I can find my boot CD quite soon...

As far as i'm aware - a pc wont normally give you the option of booting into safe mode. you have to manually press f8 ( or whatever it is on your system ) to do it.

Sorry, I meant to say that. When I press F8, instead of giving me the option to go in safe mode, it asks me where I'd like to boot from. I've tried all the options but none of them seem to work. Hopefully I can find my boot CD quite soon...

Sorry, I meant to say that.  When I press F8, instead of giving me the option to go in safe mode, it asks me where I'd like to boot from. I've tried all the options but none of them seem to work. Hopefully I can find my boot CD quite soon...

163640[/snapback]

if you can find your windows cd, you may be able to do a 'repair' rather than a full reinstall if your lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

I originally fixed this a few weeks ago by reinstalling Windows and this morning I was having the same problem. I realised that yesterday there was only one thing I had installed on my computer - Windows XP Service Pack 2. I uninstalled this and now the problem has gone ! Why are Microsoft trying to ruin my computer ? :(