So glad we extended the metro there...

Sicklee Sausage Roll

http://www.sunderlandtoday.co.uk/ViewArtic...ticleID=1116390

RACE ATTACK ON TEEN

A BANGLADESHI teenager is in hospital today after a series of racist attacks in Sunderland.

The schoolboy is seriously ill after suffering head and chest injuries in a sustained beating by a gang of white youths outside the University Metro Station, Sunderland, at about 6.50pm last night.

Police say the attack was one of several "flashpoints", and pledged top take a no-tolerance approach towards racism.

Chief Superintendent Jim Campbell said: "We would like to reassure peoplethat there will be an increased police presence in the area over the coming weeks to prevent this kind of incident happening again. Racism either against whites or Asians will not be tolerated."

Several Asian youths were chased through the streets of the Chester Road area by teenagers wielding sticks and bats and a window was smashed at the Thelma Street home of a Bangladeshi family, leaving a two-year-old girl with cuts to her face.

Her mother, who was too frightened to be named, said: "I saw my 15-year-old brother running up the street being chased by white boys.

"When I opened the door they hurled racist abuse at me. I got my brother inside and one of the boys started hitting the door with a bat. He smashed the glass and it shattered on my daughter."

Meanwhile, at the other end of the street a woman stopped another Asian boy being attacked by a gang of youths.

The woman, who did not want to be identified, said: "They had surrounded him in the backlane. They all had sticks in their hands. I couldn't stand by and do nothing so I just stopped them to let the lad get away."

One neighbour added: "Minutes later an Asian man arrived and jumped out of the car wielding a metal stick. The boys ran off."

The trouble moved around the streets, reaching Cleveland Road at about 8pm.

Several Bangladeshi men are reported to have travelled to the area in cars looking for the youths responsible.

A 39-year-old mother of three said: "Asian men were driving up and down in cars. One of them was attacked through the window and lost control of his black Corsa. It crashed into a fence further down the road."

Eight youths – aged between 14 and 16 – have been arrested by police for public order offences and assaults.

It is believed the incident may have been sparked by an attack on a Bangladeshi teenager on Chester Road, near Thelma Street, on Sunday.

Chief Supt Jim Campbell said: "There were a number of incidents across Millfield over two hours last night, with violence at a number of flashpoints.

"A Bangladeshi boy was the victim of a sustained and violent attack and is in a stable condition in hospital.

Anyone with information about last night's attacks should call Sunderland Police on 454 7555.

Police say the attack was one of several "flashpoints" where youths clashed, and pledged top take a no-tolerance approach towards racism.

Chief Superintendent Jim Campbell said: "We would like to reassure the people of Millfield that there will be an increased police presence in the area over the coming weeks to prevent this kind of incident happening again. Racism either against whites or Asians will not be tolerated."

Several Asian youths were chased through the streets of Millfield by teenagers wielding sticks and bats and a window was smashed at the Thelma Street home of a Bangladeshi family leaving a two-year-old girl with cuts to her face.

Her mother, who was too frightened to be named, said: "I saw my 15-year-old brother running up the street being chased by white boys.

"When I opened the door they hurled racist abuse at me. I got my brother inside and one of the boys started hitting the door with a bat. He smashed the glass and it shattered on my daughter."

Meanwhile, at the other end of the street a woman stopped another Asian boy being attacked by a gang of youths.

The woman, who did not want to be identified, said: "They had surrounded him in the backlane. They all had sticks in their hands. I couldn't stand by and do nothing so I just stopped them to let the lad get away."

One neighbour added: "Minutes later an Asian man arrived and jumped out of the car wielding a metal stick. The boys ran off."

The trouble then carried moved around the streets if Millfield, reaching Cleveland Road at around 8pm.

Several Bangladeshi men are reported to have travelled to the area in cars looking for the youths responsible.

A 39-year-old mother of three said: "Asian men were driving up and down in cars. One of them was attacked through the window and lost control of his black Corsa. It crashed into a fence further down the road."

Another neighbour said the trouble was centred around bedsits in the street which have been causing "no end of problems."

"It's not the Asians who cause problems round here – it's the white people living in those bedsits. All the young lads from the area go there.

"There was around 30 people in the street trying to stop cars with Asians in, and a young Bangladeshi lad was walked along the street to safety by a police officer."

Eight youths – aged between 14 and 16 – have been arrested by police for public order offences and assaults.

It is believed the incident may have been sparked by an attack on a Bangladeshi teenager on Chester Road, near Thelma Street, on Sunday.

Chf Supt Jim Campbell said: "There were a number of incidents across Millfield over two hours last night, with violence at a number of flashpoints.

"This does not appear to be a premeditated incident. The youths armed themselves with street furniture such as sticks.

"Word went round and phone calls were made and more people became involved and the situation escalated.

"A Bangladeshi boy was the victim of a sustained and violent attack and is in a stable condition in hospital.

Anyone with information about last night's attacks should call Sunderland Police on 454 7555.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

My mother always thought it was a dreaful mistake

"they'll be up here, robbing and stealing - mark my words!"

Always in favour of new things she was................................

Ha! I remember that one from Newcastle Stuff. One of the funniest things I read.

WEAR ON OUR WAY!

Metro.jpg

THERE WAS mass hysteria in Sunderland last month when the Metro link with Newcastle finally opened, as thousands of locals tried to board the first train out of the city.

"It was like Berlin when the Wall came down," said Stan Clear, Tyne & Wear Metro’s driver on the historic journey.

"They were sitting on the roof and hanging from the sides. We had to add a dozen cattle trucks to the train, to take all the poor wretches and their belongings."

Things turned ugly when several Sunderland ‘footballers’ barged to the front of the queue, hoping to flee the lynch mobs from the city they have shamed so disgracefully this season.

If Kevin Phillips hadn’t distracted them by taking a dive near the ticket machine, there would have been a bloodbath.

A sobbing mother watched as seven of her children and their five fathers left on the Metro, for a new life. "Kids want so much these days, and I can’t provide it in Sunderland," wept Penny Well.

"The bairns have seen Newcastle on the television and they want to be part of it. You’ve got classier tattoo parlours and cheaper off–licences. I want my young ‘uns to grow up with the very best."

ecua_train1.jpg

There were problems when the Metro approached Tyneside, where passports were checked at Pelaw. Several thousand Mackems were shipped back to a holding camp at Brockley Whins, although there are reports that lorry drivers are charging as much as a fiver to smuggle them through the Tyne Tunnel.

But not everyone is keen to leave Sunderland. Newcastle Stuff spoke with one Mackem who has decided to stay in the city.

"Dain’t talk to me about Newcastle, there’ll be nay work there for me," a locksmith told us, from his unit in the Bridges shopping centre. "But I’ll always be busy here," he said, before turning back to his customers. "We’s keys are these keys?"

GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY

Metro.jpg

METRO CHIEFS are threatening to suspend services to Sunderland, after a spate of thefts has brought the transport system close to collapse.

"If we don't get our wheels back, we won't send any more trains. It's as simple as that," an official told Newcastle Stuff, yesterday.

Drivers have been advised by bosses not to wait at stations for more than thirty-seconds, as that's all it takes for locals to jack a carriage up and have it away with the wheels.

Officials are also concerned about the disappearance of dozens of seats, although Sunderland police have made a breakthrough, after arresting members of a gang based in the city's Pennywell area.

"They swooped on several houses on that estate, where they found residents had sold their three-piece suites and were using property belonging to the transport system instead," an insider said.

"We like to use high quality furnishing on our trains, but we may have to introduce wooden benches on that route."

Nobody in Sunderland was available for comment, yesterday morning.