Sunday paper round up

Jimbo

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Fresh from signing Damian Duff, Newcastle are lining up more transfer deals with bids in for West Ham's Dean Ashton and Werder Bremen's Miroslav Klose. (News of the World, The People)

Arsenal's Ashley Cole will join Chelsea for £16m when he returns from his honeymoon. (The People)

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso is Real Madrid's top transfer target after they gave up on signing Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas. (Sunday Mirror)

Gunners striker Theo Walcott could go to West Brom on loan to help sweeten the deal to bring centre-back Curtis Davies to the Emirates Stadium. (The People)

Liverpool are to make a £5m bid for Birmingham's Jermaine Pennant after failing to convince Damian Duff to go to Anfield. (News of the World)

Atletico Madrid star Fernando Torres is a target for Manchester United, but could be sacrificed as the Red Devils concentrate on strengthening their midfield. (News of the World)

If Torres does stay in Spain, Man Utd may look to Spurs striker Jermain Defoe instead. (Daily Star Sunday)

Sol Campbell says he is interested in a move abroad, because he has "nothing left to prove in England". (News of the World)

Bolton are hoping to bring Argentina and Barcelona star Javier Saviola to the Reebok Stadium. (Daily Star Sunday)

Blackburn are pondering a £3m move for Ecuador winger Luis Antonio Valencia. (The People)

West Ham are ready to spend £9m on 18-year-old Manchester City full-back Micah Richards. (The People)

Patrick Vieira will leave Juventus following their relegation, but is unlikely to return to the Premiership with Inter Milan favourites to sign him. (The Sunday Times)

Portsmouth are in the box seat to sign Ghana captain Stephen Appiah from Fenerbahce, but will have to fight off Arsenal. (News of the World)

Pompey are also in line to capture Man City defender Sylvain Distin for £3.75m. (The People)

Fulham are prepared to let Steed Malbranque stay in the reserves all season if he refuses to sign a new deal. (News of the World, Daily Star Sunday)

Charlton boss Iain Dowie has gone back to his former club Crystal Palace to sign defender Emmerson Boyce for £1.75m. (Daily Star Sunday)

OTHER GOSSIP

Man Utd midfielder Paul Scholes is considering reversing his decision to retire from international football. (Various)

Aston Villa are considering appointing former Newcastle boss Graeme Souness, who is friendly with chairman Doug Ellis through a shared love of fishing. (Sunday Express, Daily Star Sunday)

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Aston Villa are considering appointing former Newcastle boss Graeme Souness, who is friendly with chairman Doug Ellis through a shared love of fishing. (Sunday Express, Daily Star Sunday)

163348[/snapback]

Clueless and Ellis, what a match made in heaven :lol:

Edited by sammynb

Next to me in the office is working a Villa season ticket holder who argued that O'Leary will struggle to find a job as nobody will sign such a crap manager. I told him that there are always some idiotic clubs will appoint them, that's why Souness still does get jobs.

Oh, yes. I'd luv it if they signed him. Luv it.

defoe has an attitude problem. good finisher tho....

would definitely get ashton. great footballer. first yard is in his head TBH. similair to sheringham, in that pace is not a neccesity.

klose is a quality footballer as well. anyone that scores consistently in the bundesliga must be a good player.

just a shame we can't afford torres.... awesome footballer....

Edited by canofbeans

I wonder if anyone has ever compiled statistics of all the transfer stories that appear in the various papers and how many of them ever turn out to have a grain of truth in them.

We could have a graph showing who were the biggest liars.

I wonder if anyone has ever compiled statistics of all the transfer stories that appear in the various papers and how many of them ever turn out to have a grain of truth in them.

163378[/snapback]

The "rumours" section on www.nufc.com is excellent for that. Interesting when you look back at some of the rumours from 5-6 years ago (like Essien being linked with us from Bastia).

http://www.nufc.com/2006-07html/rumours.html

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I had a flick through the News of the Screws in the newsagents. They said that Milner got the other goal (and not Emre), so I think we know how much we can trust them.

Re Ashton - I see no-one answered my question yesterday - could we sign him, given that he only moved to West Ham in January?

Edited by luckyluke

Think that only applies to players under the age of 21 or something?

ITV Teletext had a headline calling Bolton the Toffees today. Who do they give these jobs to!

163426[/snapback]

Ahh I see. Still don't think West Ham will sell though, unless we offer something stupid.

163378[/snapback]

The "rumours" section on www.nufc.com is excellent for that. Interesting when you look back at some of the rumours from 5-6 years ago (like Essien being linked with us from Bastia).

163417[/snapback]

Just went there for a geezer, Dyer to Inter, Juve, Barca and Roma in June 2001! :lol: Times change eh? There's a few prophetic rumours amongst it.

163378[/snapback]

163417[/snapback]

November 2001 - In

Dirk Kuyt FWD Utrecht Journal Unconfirmed

December 2000 - Ashley Cole (Arsenal)

May 2001 - William Gallas (Marseille)

January 2003 - John Terry (Chelsea)

January 2003 - Rafa Marquez (Monaco)

If only, eh?!

Also...

October 2002 - Pavel Nedved (Juventus), Various, Comments made by player

Anyone know what exactly he said?

Edited by Optimistic Nut

23/5/2000, Damien Duff, MID, Blackburn, Evening Chronicle, Unconfirmed.

And we slag Oliver off! Genius that he saw this 6 years ago. :lol:

163480[/snapback]

So it's only another three years until Brett Emerton will be a Newcastle player at the end of the week, eh. ;)

163378[/snapback]

163417[/snapback]

Just went there for a geezer, Dyer to Inter, Juve, Barca and Roma in June 2001! :lol: Times change eh? There's a few prophetic rumours amongst it.

163436[/snapback]

I can remember being on edge when he was linked with dorty Leeds for about £20mill since it look like they had a real chance signing him. If only they'd gone for him.

I'd be happy with ashton/defoe/klose

But replacing shearer means going for somone like torres/van nistelrooy. Not going to happen though

163564[/snapback]

I can't see us being able to getting anyone of Klose, Torres, van Nistelrooy or that calibre. Though I've been dumbfounded by transfers quite a lot and if we really get someone like those players mentioned I probably should apply for a season ticket for Fenwick's.

I'd be happy with ashton/defoe/klose

But replacing shearer means going for somone like torres/van nistelrooy. Not going to happen though

163564[/snapback]

I can't see us being able to getting anyone of Klose, Torres, van Nistelrooy or that calibre. Though I've been dumbfounded by transfers quite a lot and if we really get someone like those players mentioned I probably should apply for a season ticket for Fenwick's.

163570[/snapback]

Join the que dude, there'll be plenty or bare arses in the window if we signed any of those !