Racial Stereotypes

adios

Conversation in another thread about Germans and towels made me think about this. What are your experiences of racial stereotypes, whether they have proved them true or false?

I'll start with one myth, French men are romantic. Having lived in France for close to a year now I can only say this. If you find dogs shagging your leg romantic then they are truly the World's most romantic men.

Precisely LM. Irish are supposedly pissheads as well - and being one I'm sure we drink a fair bit.

But when I lived in England they seemed to drink just as much. And all of my Irish mates think I drink too much - which I think means the Irish are actually pussy light-weights.

Very limited experience of the Scots though.

Precisely LM.  Irish are supposedly pissheads as well - and being one I'm sure we drink a fair bit.

But when I lived in England they seemed to drink just as much.  And all of my Irish mates think I drink too much - which I think means the Irish are actually pussy light-weights.

Very limited experience of the Scots though.

13127[/snapback]

hmm could have added a lot more stereotypes than that

my experience of a fair few of our scottish brethren is that they do indeed. Not know when to stop would be a good expression.

And my father in law is Irish .....

So now you're calling us Irish mother-feckers and all!

One of the few Scots I've met was the tightest fecker I ever had the misfortune to meet, none of the others were though.

I don't know when to stop - but I've not met many Irish the same.

Edited by DotBum

i come across a lot of it and they are often true- i work for the dwp.

for example - the irish (again) each time they came to the uk they would re-register and be given a new national insurance number instead of using the original. then, when they claim their pension, they wonder why it takes so long to finalise. i had one bloke with 5 different numbers - took fucking ages to sort. they also swap numbers - if an elder brother comes to the uk to work then goes home and then the younger brother comes out - he'll use his brothers number. total nightmare :angry:

the jamaicans, did you know that you can claim an increase in your pension for a spouse (with no income) or housekeeper and you used to be able to claim an increase for your kids as well. well - the department ended up sending someone out there permanantly to investigate claims as blokes were just naming any woman and kid and saying they were maintaining them. once the kid was 16, the kid would mysteriously disappear and another, younger bairn would appear. the running joke was that kids were being grabbed off the streets :angry:

indians and pakistanis - again the department ended sending someone out to investigate claims. instead of a signature - a fingerprint is used for id as few people can read and write. it turned out they were cutting the fingers off dead reletives who received a pension. pickled fingers were kept for years. :D

stereo types are exactly that - they are a "one minute description" of a whole country or group of people

Geordies are - funny, friendly, poor, pissed, generous and uncultured

Jormans are- meticulous, disciplined, given to invading their neighbours, fat

Norwegians are tall, blonde, drunk and have a very dry sense of humour

etc etc

To be quite honest I've normally found them true - a sort of useful shorthand -

as long as you don't believe that they apply to INDIVIDUALS you meet

Edited by Rob W

I have to say that I've met a fair few French people and by a fair few I don't mean I've once asked a Parisian for directions to the Louvre. Holidaying in France pretty much every year and school trips there have given me the chance to view our Gallic cousins a little more objectively.

I've been all over france (though rarely anywhere in the north) from Marseille to Monaco, Paris to ...somewhere in the east of france that handily begins with a 'p'

on the whole I've found them to be arrogant, sleazy, xenophobic, ignorant and selfish.

while I agree that this doesn't mean that all French people conform to this, it could just be the men and women that I have met and perhaps I attract that kind of people, but then surely I'd have the same opinion of other nationalities?

perhaps it's my character that has garenered this response from the French that I've met.

but I think the more likely scenario is that they're all whiney, sleazy chicken-shit bastards :D

On the bright side, I found Italians to be polar, one minute they love you, the next they hate you, they never seemed apathetic about anybody... which I like. They didn't seeme overly bothered about the fact my italian is awful, but the french seemed genuinely offended that my accent was poor, despite my ability with french is far far greater than my ability to speak italian.

Despite stereotype I found the Russians to be warm and genuinely funny people, wich flies in the face of the stereotypical stoic hard people.

what was interesting was the way different peoples have different stereotypes of different nations, also how different people are when you meet them... on their home turf as it were.

for shifty, dangerous, untrustworthiness you have to go a LONG way to beat the Afghans

But they are also wildly generous, open handed & helpful - you just have to remember everyone is different

Well I work with a French lass who doesn't conform to any of the stereotypes. She doesn't smell, she has a sense of humour, and if there's an argument she doesn't sneak off or say 'fine, you win' within 5 minutes...

The only stereotype I can confirm is that EVERYONE on the continent is an appaling driver.

The Spainish seem better than most though, but are still worse than your average British woman. :D

13561[/snapback]

Michael Schumacher?

The only stereotype I can confirm is that EVERYONE on the continent is an appaling driver.

The Spainish seem better than most though, but are still worse than your average British woman. :D

13561[/snapback]

Michael Schumacher?

13563[/snapback]

The bastard nearly ran me over in Barcelona.

GF - My experiences of France, what surprised me was how unlike that the French are. In my experience people who got that impression were people who thought that shouting louder in English made them more clearly understood by the French, but you don't sound at all like that so I'm not sure.

Sleazy - extremely!

Despite stereotype I found the Russians to be warm and genuinely funny people, wich flies in the face of the stereotypical stoic hard people.

13505[/snapback]

Would agree with that. Had a Russian landlord that lived in the apartment above me in San Francisco and him and his wife were really nice people. Moved out in the end though cos they got a bit overbearing, and their son kept coming down and announcing "My mam's in the bath. Mind if I used your toilet?".......then he'd go in there and pebbledash the fucker. :D

Got him back the day we moved out though - he came down with the usual story. Told him yep, go ahead. He obliged. Unfortunately for him we'd already cleared everything out of the bathroom, including the bog roll. :D

13505[/snapback]

Would agree with that. Had a Russian landlord that lived in the apartment above me in San Francisco and him and his wife were really nice people. Moved out in the end though cos they got a bit overbearing, and their son kept coming down and announcing "My mam's in the bath. Mind if I used your toilet?".......then he'd go in there and pebbledash the fucker. :D

Got him back the day we moved out though - he came down with the usual story. Told him yep, go ahead. He obliged. Unfortunately for him we'd already cleared everything out of the bathroom, including the bog roll. :D

13955[/snapback]

I thought you were gonna say you went up to their appartment and took a dump in their bath while she was in it.

Edited by manc-mag

13505[/snapback]

13955[/snapback]

I thought you were gonna say you went up to their appartment and took a dump in their bath while she was in it.

13963[/snapback]

You been watching Didsbury Uncovered again or something?

13505[/snapback]

13955[/snapback]

13963[/snapback]

You been watching Didsbury Uncovered again or something?

13969[/snapback]

No, I was just taking a guess based on the 'patterns' down the side of your bathtub.