50 films to see before you die

Jimbo

Saw this programme on Channel 4 last night, what a fuck up it was, every single movie they reviewed, they gave away the ending and any twists therein, Imagine having never seen Fightclub and then watch this programme only for them to give away the ending, fucking loons.

This show was supposed to be a precursor for Film Four going free this weekend.

If anything it undid any good work it set out to do.

Film buffs reveal 'must see' list

Cinema experts have named the 50 films they believe everyone should see before they die.

Francis Ford Coppola's 1979 Vietnam War classic Apocalypse Now heads up the list chosen by an expert panel, which included director Lord David Puttnam.

Other titles in the top 10 include Brazilian film City of God and Roman Polanski's Chinatown.

The list was compiled to mark this Sunday's relaunch of Film Four as a free-to-air channel.

Alien, Lost in Translation and The Shawshank Redemption just missed out on a top 10 place.

The top 50 also includes Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting, Erin Brockovich, The Breakfast Club and Scarface.

Channel 4 said each film has been chosen for its unique and creative approach to filmmaking.

Film critics Jason Solomons and Karen Krizanovich, Channel 4 head of film and drama Tessa Ross and the film director Menhaj Huda were also on the panel.

The full list:

Apocalypse Now

The Apartment

City of God

Chinatown

Sexy Beast

2001: A Space Odyssey

North by Northwest

A Bout de Souffle

Donnie Darko

Manhattan

Alien

Lost in Translation

The Shawshank Redemption

Lagaan: Once Upon A Time in India

Pulp Fiction

Touch of Evil

Walkabout

Black Narcissus

Boyz n the Hood

The Player

Come and See

Heavenly Creatures

A Night at the Opera

Erin Brockovich

Trainspotting

The Breakfast Club

Hero

Fanny and Alexander

Pink Flamingos

All About Eve

Scarface

Terminator 2

Three Colours: Blue

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Ladykillers

Fight Club

The Searchers

Mulholland Drive

The Ipcress File

The King of Comedy

Manhunter

Dawn of the Dead

Princess Mononoke

Raising Arizona

Cabaret

This Sporting Life

Brazil

Aguirre: The Wrath of God

Secrets and Lies

Badlands

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the looks of things it was based on films appearing on Film Four.

Hence no "down the hatch 7".

i thought this was an interesting list actually - no godfather, star wars or lord of the rings or titanic, in fact theres no real blockbuster films at all.

some interesting choices like.

One of my fav films is on the list, The Shawshank Redemption.

163573[/snapback]

Mine too...along with Donnie Darko, the Breakfast Club and Boyz in the Hood

One of my fav films is on the list, The Shawshank Redemption.

163573[/snapback]

Further to the point made in the first post, the twist was revealed to me in a similar compilation programme a few years ago, before I'd seen it.

Bastards!

The list doesn't seem to have ANY criteria whatsoever.

If they were trying to avoid naming hugely popular films it's fine to include walkabout but why include Alien?

If they were trying to avoid naming well renowned classics it's fine to include Boyz N the Hood but why include 2001: A Space Odyssey?

If they were trying to go for renowned directors lesser known films it's fine to include Touch of Evil, but why include Aguirre, the Wrath of God?

The ONLY criteria was "Is it coming soon to Film4?"

If they were trying to avoid naming hugely popular films it's fine to include walkabout but why include Alien?

If they were trying to avoid naming well renowned classics it's fine to include Boyz N the Hood but why include 2001: A Space Odyssey?

If they were trying to go for renowned directors lesser known films it's fine to include Touch of Evil, but why include Aguirre, the Wrath of God?

163578[/snapback]

Probably.

Channel 4's obession with lists is getting tedious.

163578[/snapback]

Probably.

Channel 4's obession with lists is getting tedious.

163583[/snapback]

They're doing 50 Greatest Comedy Sketches tonight....

my sister loves these list programs and says that "If no-one wanted to watch them, they wouldn't be on tv"

utter bollocks, if they weren't incredibly cheap, time and resource light and insanely marketable... they wouldn't be on tv.

it's the old Field of Dreams idea, "If you build it, he will come."... If you put it on, they will watch.

people just vegetating in front of the tv will watch anything

It's like listening to a greatest hits album.  I don't see anything wrong with it personally.  All I ask is that the list should reflect the title in some way, shape or form.

163612[/snapback]

trouble is, it's qualitative

what is your favourite album of all time might appear no-where in these "expert's" top 100

Nice to see The Apartment in there. One of my favourites. I don't mind these lists shows. Generally you know what to expect. If they are compiled by experts there will be some agenda behind it and if it's by the general public the better ones will be nearer the beginning. As mentioned above it's like a greatest hits album.

If they are compiled by experts there will be some agenda behind it

163621[/snapback]

Compare this list with the films on film four in the coming months now its on freeview

[/cynic]

I flicked through the list and noted what I hadn't seen as reasonably good recommendations. Not the sort of show I'd watch and I don't have Channel 4, but Jimbo's post was helpful.

There's a lot of shit on television, who knew? :lol:

As others have said, should be "50 Greatest films being shown on the next few months on FilmFour". Some good films on there but some average ones too, plus loads of glaring omissions imo.