Accident in Chester-Le-Street Park

Kid Dynamite

Was playing football at the other end of the riverside this afternoon and heard a shit load of sirens going round to the park. Apparently a giant inflatable cocoon thing had blown off in the wind with people inside. Some fell out while in the air and it landed on a crowd of people too, suffocating some.

Apparently 2 kids and a woman have died so far but thats unconfirmed. Shit news for my home town like :lol:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its terrible.  Ive not seen it on the news, did they confirm how many killed ?

163533[/snapback]

At least 2, but it was just breaking news so it may be more.

From the Beeb:

Two killed as artwork 'lifts off' 

Two people have been killed and several injured after a large, inflatable sculpture blew free from its moorings in County Durham.

Many of those involved were inside the artwork, which consists of connected rooms, when it lifted off at Chester-le-Street's Riverside.

It is not known whether any of those killed were children, but a three-year-old girl was seriously hurt.

An elderly woman and a 35-year-old man both had heart attacks.

There were people inside the structure and obviously people within the vicinity of the structure on the ground, and there were a few casualties

The three-year-old was airlifted to Newcastle General Hospital with crushing injuries.

Three children, aged between, 8 and 11, suffered neck, leg and arm injuries and were taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Gateshead.

An 11-year-old girl was taken to Durham's Dryburn Hospital suffering from shock and a 13-year-old girl was taken to South Tyneside General Hospital with minor injuries.

Three walking wounded were also taken to the Dryburn Hospital.

The sculpture - called Dreamspace - is thought to have drifted for up to 40 metres above the ground before catching on trees and coming down near a children's playground.

Around 500 people were in the vicinity of the sculpture - which is half the size of a football pitch - when it came loose.

Fire officers spent much of their time trying to account for people missing inside the structure.

A Durham Fire Brigade spokesman said: "There's been a large inflatable structure, which included walls and floors and obviously the top, which has somehow lifted off the ground, and moved between thirty and forty metres out of its pitched area.

"There were people inside the structure and obviously people within the vicinity of the structure on the ground, and there were a few casualties."

The sculpture, created by artist Maurice Agis, has appeared at venues across the world and has recently featured on the Derren Brown television show.

It comprises several different rooms, made of translucent PVC sheets, which are interconnected and inflated by air to allow visitors to walk about inside.

Edited by Bizza

Ive lived here 23 years nearly and this is the first time i can remember something this tragic happening here :lol:

I hope its no-one i knew. I was literally 400metres away the whole time and didnt know it had happened. The whole sunday league just carried on.

Just had a bit of a mare trying to contact my sister as her and my nephew often go there on weekends...luckily he had a football tournament today and so they were otherwise occupied. really tragic tho for those other families :lol:

Ive lived here 23 years nearly and this is the first time i can remember something this tragic happening here  :lol:

163549[/snapback]

The Riverside getting overlooked for the Ashes was canny bad, like.

Mate theres a time and a place for being a nob and this thread isnt it. Theres a 3 year old girl fighting for her life at the minute.

163579[/snapback]

Hear hear... :lol:

Ive lived here 23 years nearly and this is the first time i can remember something this tragic happening here  :lol:

I hope its no-one i knew. I was literally 400metres away the whole time and didnt know it had happened. The whole sunday league just carried on.

163549[/snapback]

Unfortunately, in terms of casualties, there's probably been plenty of worse car accidents in that time. In terms of weirdness it's a death worthy of Baron von Munchausen, but it sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

RIP those who died and I hope that little girl pulls through. ;)

Edited by DotBum

true, but not many car accidents are viewed by hundreds of young children. My mate was there and says he saw someone fall out of it from 50feet in the air. said he felt sick. apparently 2 seperate people suffered heart attacks at the scene from just witnessing it.

Mate theres a time and a place for being a nob and this thread isnt it. Theres a 3 year old girl fighting for her life at the minute.

163579[/snapback]

Hear hear... :lol:

163582[/snapback]

Agreed. Wanker.

pretty fucking horrific.

as an aside I've always been curious as to the acceptable length of time between a tragedy and a joke.

disclaimer this in no way condones jokes made in poor taste at all, it's simply a thing that I find intriguing.