Accident in Chester-Le-Street Park

Kid Dynamite

Heard about this on the radio yesterday. When your times up, your times really is up - talk about bad luck. Very sad news indeed.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That footage looked awful.

Only a mile away from me and my brother was playing football at chester park at the time - he didnt manage to see it like. Lucky enough.

Edited by T-Keith

Yeh man, i hope the idiot who fucked up gets investigated.

Surely with a inflatable the size of a football pitch its got to be looked after.

Guy on the radio this morning said you could hear the mooring ropes snapping "ping, ping, ping......"

No-one will have actually calculated what it might take to hold it down in a NE breeze I guess

Guy on the radio this morning said you could hear the mooring ropes snapping "ping, ping, ping......"

No-one will have actually calculated what it might take to hold it down in a NE breeze I guess

163792[/snapback]

That exactly what it was, a gentle breeze. Pure freak accident that there was enough force to get it up in the air, where obviously the higher it went the stronger the wind got.

They are yet to release names of those injured but apparently a 23 year old lass has a punctured lung and internal injuries. If shes from CLS il probably know her.

Someone is definatley for the high jump like. I used to work there every summer in the park as an attendant for these sort of things and the management was non existent. Just a bunch of 16,17,18 year olds with radios mucking about, emptying the odd bin.

Hot air rises. I'm going to assume it was pretty fucking hot in that massive infaltable. A breeze probably caught it, lifted it a little of the ground and then science did the rest.

Reminds me of the start of "Enduring love", but is even more bizarre.

It was a complete freak accident and was probably not forseeable - sometimes these things just happen and the important thing is to learn from the mistakes. I don't see the point in having a witch hunt though - I'm fairly sure no malice was intended.

pretty fucking horrific.

as an aside I've always been curious as to the acceptable length of time between a tragedy and a joke.

disclaimer this in no way condones jokes made in poor taste at all, it's simply a thing that I find intriguing.

163658[/snapback]

We worked on this a bit in my degree. Like how long after the holocaust is it acceptable to crack a joke, if ever?

Some things will never be funny, ie jamie bulger, dunblane etc.

One things for sure though, 2 hours is definately not acceptable!

It was a complete freak accident and was probably not forseeable - sometimes these things just happen and the important thing is to learn from the mistakes. I don't see the point in having a witch hunt though - I'm fairly sure no malice was intended.

163823[/snapback]

True, but it would have been someones job to ensure it was safe and he/she failed in that job. Just like when the ferry worker forgot to put the door up, total accident but people died as a result and that made him liable for their deaths.

pretty fucking horrific.

as an aside I've always been curious as to the acceptable length of time between a tragedy and a joke.

disclaimer this in no way condones jokes made in poor taste at all, it's simply a thing that I find intriguing.

163658[/snapback]

I'm one of the first to laugh at a bad taste joke which is after a tragic event. However such jokes are usually making light of a tragic situation, but not questioning that the event is tragic.

In this instance equating an accident where people have died to Durham not getting an Ashes match (which IMO they don't deserve yet anyway!) is beyond crass.

163792[/snapback]

That exactly what it was, a gentle breeze. Pure freak accident that there was enough force to get it up in the air, where obviously the higher it went the stronger the wind got.

They are yet to release names of those injured but apparently a 23 year old lass has a punctured lung and internal injuries. If shes from CLS il probably know her.

Someone is definatley for the high jump like. I used to work there every summer in the park as an attendant for these sort of things and the management was non existent. Just a bunch of 16,17,18 year olds with radios mucking about, emptying the odd bin.

163815[/snapback]

I'll sleep easier tonight now.

What a knobhead, trying to look like he's a ladies man when people have died in a tragic accident! :lol:

If she's from CLS I'll probably know her = Self obsessed wanker tbh.

163792[/snapback]

163815[/snapback]

I'll sleep easier tonight now.

What a knobhead, trying to look like he's a ladies man when people have died in a tragic accident! :lol:

If she's from CLS I'll probably know her = Self obsessed wanker tbh.

163835[/snapback]

I dont think thats how he meant it.

CLS is a small place, stop pulling the thread out of context.

163823[/snapback]

Different story if you're a relation of one of the dead or injured though, isn't it? It's a bit harder to shrug off as an accident or a mistake, I would have thought.

163823[/snapback]

Different story if you're a relation of one of the dead or injured though, isn't it? It's a bit harder to shrug off as an accident or a mistake, I would have thought.

163849[/snapback]

Needs to be fully investigated to see if it could have been prevented and what could be learned for the future as opposed to there being a witch hunt. Also, if someone was to blame, they have to held accountable regardless of whether malice was intended or not. People have lost their lives.

163823[/snapback]

163849[/snapback]

Needs to be fully investigated to see if it could have been prevented and what could be learned for the future as opposed to there being a witch hunt. Also, if someone was to blame, they have to held accountable regardless of whether malice was intended or not. People have lost their lives.

163858[/snapback]

If someone has been negligent, fair enough, they need to be prosecuted, yes. But as to my knowledge nothing like this has happened before, I don't think it was forseeable. I agree it needs to be investigated though.

I bet the artist who designed the thing feels terrible about this too, even though they are blameless.

I'm one of the first to laugh at a bad taste joke which is after a tragic event. However such jokes are usually making light of a tragic situation, but not questioning that the event is tragic.

In this instance equating an accident where people have died to Durham not getting an Ashes match (which IMO they don't deserve yet anyway!) is beyond crass.

163831[/snapback]

the bit in bold is a good point.

My dad used to be a copper and not only was a police diver, but also a traffic cop, so he saw some of the most horrific and harrowing things that the police have to deal with. He says that they would award the carcrash victims marks for style and such. But that was their way of dealing with the horror. When I asked him about this stuff he said that the emergency services make jokes and the like because they HAVE to deal with it regularly, but it's bang out of order for a member of the public to pass a callous remark just for kicks.

obviously the emergency service only pass comment between themselves in private.

Like I say, I've always been kind of morbidly fascinated by the relationship between tragedy and comedy.

163831[/snapback]

My dad used to be a copper and not only was a police diver, but also a traffic cop, so he saw some of the most horrific and harrowing things that the police have to deal with. He says that they would award the carcrash victims marks for style and such. But that was their way of dealing with the horror. When I asked him about this stuff he said that the emergency services make jokes and the like because they HAVE to deal with it regularly, but it's bang out of order for a member of the public to pass a callous remark just for kicks.

obviously the emergency service only pass comment between themselves in private.

Like I say, I've always been kind of morbidly fascinated by the relationship between tragedy and comedy.

163985[/snapback]

i knew a lass who worked on the railways and they used to take the piss when there was a suicide or accident.

Sounds a bit harsh but what are you supposed to do if you come across a chunk of bloody flesh wrapped in a bit of denim on a railway track?

163831[/snapback]

163985[/snapback]

i knew a lass who worked on the railways and they used to take the piss when there was a suicide or accident.

Sounds a bit harsh but what are you supposed to do if you come across a chunk of bloody flesh wrapped in a bit of denim on a railway track?

163988[/snapback]

that's a tempting set-up, but even I can't bring myself to try and crack a joke in this thread. :lol: