Duff snubbed Inter for Toon

Scottish Mag

Damien Duff turned down no fewer than six top clubs to join his Irish colleagues Shay Given and Stephen Carr in a Newcastle United shirt.

Duff's advisors told me that the Republic of Ireland international was wanted by Inter Milan, Valencia, his former club Blackburn Rovers and Spurs as well as Merseyside pair Everton and Liverpool.

And they admitted that they did not have a lot of advising to do because it was always going to be Duff's decision where he went and that Newcastle United was always going to be his first choice.

And, judging by the reaction Duff received from hundred of United fans at St James' Park yesterday, he already must be feeling that he has made the right decision.

Duff will know that there will be other attacking players to arrive at the club as he reported for training today with his new colleagues.

He will not play in tomorrow's testimonial at Norwich City but will play some part in Saturday's friendly with PSV Eindhoven at St James' Park.

If Duff looked happy at St James' Park then so too did Freddy Shepherd and Glenn Roeder at what eveyone seems to agree is a great signing.

Indeed, when the Chronicle revealed on Saturday night that United had picked up Duff from Chelsea for a mere £5m there were a few raised eyebrows, not to mention some doubters.

But this was the figure released by the Stock Exchange yesterday morning and confirmed by Shepherd at the Press conference when he also announced that Duff has signed a five-year deal.

Meanwhile, Duff admitted he is more excited now than when he signed for Chelsea and says he will have no problems settling on Tyneside as he shares the Toon Army's religion - football.

Duff joined Chelsea from Blackburn Rovers in a £17m deal in July 2003 and the 27-year-old collected two Premiership winners medals during his time in west London.

But he admits he is more excited about the prospect of bringing silverware to St James's Park, given the passion of Newcastle's fans.

"There was a great finish to the season last year under Glenn Roeder," said Duff, who, as part of his transfer deal will wear the United No 11 shirt. "It would be great to be challenging for trophies - hopefully a cup this year.

"We obviously need a few new players, but it's all set up for success.

"Winning a trophy here would be a dream come true - it would be unbelievable.

"Obviously it's not going to be a Premier League trophy this year, but I think the fans will be happy when we start going back in the right direction."

Duff was welcomed by hundreds of fans at St James's Park yesterday.

He said: "They're special fans - the best fans in England.

"And I'm more excited now than when I signed for Chelsea - the passion's just ridiculous up here. Football's a religion, and it's mine too so I feel as though we'll get on well."

Aye I just said similar over on N-O.  The scousers are the latest in the firing line to be gutted about not getting Duff. :lol:

164563[/snapback]

The comment from the Liverpool fan about them still celebrating winning the European Cup when we were gloating about Owen was canny funny. Who's gloating now, eh?

Aye I just said similar over on N-O.  The scousers are the latest in the firing line to be gutted about not getting Duff. :lol:

164563[/snapback]

The comment from the Liverpool fan about them still celebrating winning the European Cup when we were gloating about Owen was canny funny. Who's gloating now, eh?

164580[/snapback]

Aye I know, you can just imagine them thinking "WTF are you lot on about? We're European Champions, and you signed Owen. That's lovely for you." :lol: