United ready to make fresh transfer bid

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United, buoyed by their signing of Damien Duff, are already working flat out on bringing more new faces to St James' Park. A United source told me today: "As Glenn Roeder would say, there's never a London bus and then three or four come along at once, and we are hoping this is going to be the case on transfers in the next couple of weeks."

But despite reports to the contrary over the weekend, Miroslav Klose, Dean Ashton and Alessandro del Piero will not be joining Duff at St James' Park.

However, there could also be a couple of departures after the Chronicle revealed in our latter editions yesterday that United had released their Geordie defender Robbie Elliott.

Jean Alain Boumsong is due back for training on Friday after being on duty for France in the World Cup, but I am not 100% certain that we will see the £8.5m central defender back on Tyneside.

Monaco want him, but United say that reports linking Boumsong with Marseille are news to them.

And now Fulham have joined Wigan, West Ham and Middlesbrough in showing a big big interest in United's winger James Milner.

United supporters quite naturally are more interested in who is coming in and they have had their appetite whetted after excellent work by Freddy Shepherd and Roeder saw the arrival of Duff for only £5m.

And I understand that there is still an outside chance of Shaun Wright-Phillips also arriving from Stamford Bridge, albeit on loan, but nothing is expected to happen on the Chelsea winger until the last week of the transfer deadline at the end of August.

Before then I expect another couple of strikers to be paraded in a black and white shirt by Messrs Shepherd and Roeder.

As it happens, Roeder will be without both his recognised strikers Shola Ameobi and Albert Luque for tomorrow's friendly at Norwich City because of respective ankle and back injuries.

However, Roeder will take his strongest available team for the Craig Fleming testimonial, with youngsters like Carl Finnigan and Paul Huntington also included.

As much of a knob as Oliver is, he's got a class job. He basically does what we do all day (obsess over what's going on at Newcastle), but he actually does have some semblance of an inside track, AND he gets paid for it.

Klose turned us down then? :lol:

Defoe it is......*

*clutching at straws now

164559[/snapback]

No Ashton and Milner's going to the hammers.

Harewood it is then!

See I told you Gemmill :lol:

Fucking hell, we sign one winger from Chelsea but he's still digging his claws in about SWP.

Give it up Anal, it's not happening! :lol:

Fucking hell, we sign one winger from Chelsea but he's still digging his claws in about SWP.

Give it up Anal, it's not happening! :lol:

164572[/snapback]

It's like with Martin O'Neill. He will bang on SWP being our prime target and when nothing come out he will say that we were never interested anyway...