Liverpool to seal £6.2m Pennant signing

Scottish Mag

Liverpool are close to sealing a £6.2m swoop for Birmingham winger Jermaine Pennant, according to a report.

Birmingham revealed earlier on Tuesday that they turned down a £3.5m offer for the 23-year-old from Liverpool.

Now the Press Association has been told by a source close to Blues that an improved bid has been accepted with Pennant now set for talks at Anfield.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said on Monday there "could be another two players in by the weekend".

One of those now seems certain to be Pennant, and it is claimed that Holland international Dirk Kuyt will be the other - if the Reds can negotiate Feyenoord down from their £12m asking price.

The Press Association's report says Liverpool have already failed with a player-plus-cash offer which would have seen Jan Kromkamp and Jerzy Dudek going to Feyenoord.

Pennant's arrival would solve Benitez's search for a right-sided midfielder, with his first choice, Sevilla's Daniel Alves, proving too pricy at £12m.

The Birmingham player is much cheaper, even after the Championship club negotiated the fee upwards because they knew they had to give Pennant's old club Arsenal a quarter of any cash receieved for him.

Blues boss Steve Bruce said earlier: "There has only been one bid of around £3.5m but we don't want to sell him for that."

They reportedly wanted £8m, but have settled for £6.2m, even though St Andrews managing director Karren Brady had said the player would not be sold at all.

Pennant's agent declined to comment on Tuesday evening.

The England Under-21 international, who joined Birmingham from Arsenal for £3m in April 2005, would join Wales striker Craig Bellamy at Anfield as Benitez looks to invest in young British talent.

But in Pennant, the Liverpool coach would be purchasing one of football's most notorious players.

In 2005 the midfielder become the first footballer to play in the Premiership while wearing an electronic tag. He had served 21 days in jail after being found guilty of drink driving while banned and having no insurance.

Originally Pennant had been banned from driving for 16 months in 2004 after being seen travelling in the wrong lane in Paddington, west London.

Also in 2005 it was reported that Birmingham sent the player home from training after he turned up under the influence of alcohol. And in a seperate incident that year, Pennant was alleged to have become involved in an argument with a man outside a restaurant on the Greek island of Zante, which led to the man punching him.

In 2003 Pennant was sent home from an England Under-21 training camp for breaking a curfew.

Guest stevieintoon
I didn't think Duff at £5m could look any more of a bargain....

Shpursh in for Downing now perhaps? :lol:

164839[/snapback]

This Pennant is marginally better than Wayne Fereday. Most people progress in their career, but this cunt scored a hattrick in his fourth game, and has been shite ever since. Went to Leeds - doon. Birmingham - doon. Hope the dippers make it a trilogy.

I think Pennant is a canny player, when he can be arsed. I also think Downing (linked with Spurs) is a canny player, if a bit limited. Neither are in Duff's class though and I'd have said that a long time before he came here.

I think Pennant is a canny player, when he can be arsed. I also think Downing (linked with Spurs) is a canny player, if a bit limited. Neither are in Duff's class though and I'd have said that a long time before he came here.

164922[/snapback]

Agreed, neither in Duff's class and both likely to cost more.

But yeah, they are canny players.

Birmingham City winger Jermaine Pennant is reportedly undergoing a medical at Liverpool ahead of his proposed £6.2 million move to the Premiership side.

Widespread reports indicated on Wednesday morning that The Reds were close to tying up a deal for the former Arsenal man, and if Pennant passes the examination and agrees personal terms then he could fly out to join Rafa Benitez's side in Switzerland.

Blues boss Steve Bruce admitted on Tuesday that the Championship side had turned down a bid of £3.5 million for the player who first burst into the national consciousness when signing for Arsenal from Notts County in a record deal as a 15-year-old.

A subsequent offer of £6.2 million may have been enough to prise Pennant from St Andrews, and the 23-year-old will now join The Reds for pre-season training should he pass his medical at Melwood.

The winger could now make his debut for the club against German outfit Kaiserslautern on Saturday, whilst Benitez has also moved to secure the future of fellow wide-man Paul Anderson.

The 18-year-old, signed from Hull City in January, has impressed the Spanish boss during pre-season and has been rewarded with a new-four year contract at Anfield.

Anderson will now look to break into the first team picture under Benitez and joins goalkeeper Scott Carson in committing his future to the club.

Liverpool have completed the signing of Birmingham City winger Jermaine Pennant.

The 23-year-old has penned a four-year deal at Anfield after the two clubs agreed a deal - believed to be in the region of £6 million.

Pennant becomes Liverpool's fifth signing of the summer following the arrivals of Craig Bellamy, Mark Gonzalez, Fabio Aurelio and Gabriel Paletta.

The former Arsenal star will now be in line to make his Reds debut in their friendly with Kaiserslautern on Saturday, before which he will link up with the rest of the squad in Switzerland - where they are currently holding a training camp.

I give you 2 - 1 that him and Bellars come to blows  :lol:

164959[/snapback]

:quotes:

Just mentioned it to a bloke in the office that they've signed Pennant. He just chuckled away to himself saying "Bellamy and Pennant at the same club, that should be fun........"

According to me mate he had about 550 crosses last season, the most in the prem. :D

Sure Crouch is bound to get some part of his body on them and get them in the goal.

I give you 2 - 1 that him and Bellars come to blows  :D

164959[/snapback]

:blush:

Just mentioned it to a bloke in the office that they've signed Pennant. He just chuckled away to himself saying "Bellamy and Pennant at the same club, that should be fun........"

165323[/snapback]

Liverpool to pick up our title as the brat brigade I think. Any chance of them getting Anelka? :razz:

164959[/snapback]

165323[/snapback]

Liverpool to pick up our title as the brat brigade I think. Any chance of them getting Anelka? :razz:

166360[/snapback]

Robbie Savage as well! :D

:D

164959[/snapback]

165323[/snapback]

166360[/snapback]

Robbie Savage as well! :D

:D

166365[/snapback]

diego maradona

pointless exercise really isn't this?