Chimbonda still chasing transfer

khay

Chimbonda has been at Wigan for only a season

Pascal Chimbonda is adamant his future lies away from Wigan, despite being offered an improved deal.

The full-back, 28, handed in a transfer request on the final day of the season and the Latics price him at £6m.

West Ham and Tottenham have had offers rejected, but Wigan's hopes of holding on to the Frenchman look slim.

"I've informed Pascal of the offer, but he feels at this stage of his career it is not about new improved contracts," said his agent Willie McKay.

"He just wants to play for a big club. It is purely a footballing matter that he wants to leave."

Chimbonda is scheduled to return to Wigan on Sunday, having had an extended holiday following France's run to the World Cup final, and talks are set for Monday.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is refusing to budge from the asking price and has warned Chimbonda he will rot in the reserves if he refuses to play for the first team.

And manager Paul Jewell has said the defender he signed from Bastia 12 months ago in a £500,000 deal would "not go on the cheap".

The Hammers are believed to have offered about £4m while Tottenham have had bids of £2.5m and £3m turned down.

I know 6mill is a bit pricy and that he has had only one good season in the premier league, but does anyone think he would be worth the gamble?

Chimbonda has been at Wigan for only a season

Pascal Chimbonda is adamant his future lies away from Wigan, despite being offered an improved deal.

The full-back, 28, handed in a transfer request on the final day of the season and the Latics price him at £6m.

West Ham and Tottenham have had offers rejected, but Wigan's hopes of holding on to the Frenchman look slim.

"I've informed Pascal of the offer, but he feels at this stage of his career it is not about new improved contracts," said his agent Willie McKay.

"He just wants to play for a big club. It is purely a footballing matter that he wants to leave."

Chimbonda is scheduled to return to Wigan on Sunday, having had an extended holiday following France's run to the World Cup final, and talks are set for Monday.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is refusing to budge from the asking price and has warned Chimbonda he will rot in the reserves if he refuses to play for the first team.

And manager Paul Jewell has said the defender he signed from Bastia 12 months ago in a £500,000 deal would "not go on the cheap".

The Hammers are believed to have offered about £4m while Tottenham have had bids of £2.5m and £3m turned down.

I know 6mill is a bit pricy and that he has had only one good season in the premier league, but does anyone think he would be worth the gamble?

165486[/snapback]

I refer you to your statement here:

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...=0entry165485

Stephen Carr so hard done by.

165584[/snapback]

Not sure if you're taking the piss or not but, injuries apart, I think he is hard done by. Same applies to Babayaro I reckon. Both are often made out to be far worse than they really are. Think we could do better having said that and we are a bit short of cover too.

Babayaro is shiiiiite. And carr cant help punting it every chacne he gets.

Give me bridge and chimbonda anyday!

165609[/snapback]

I'd prefer those two but I think both are a bit overrated. Could cost about £10million in total too. A striker or two is a far greater priority for me.

Give me bridge and chimbonda anyday!

165609[/snapback]

Agreed but for no more than £2-3m each...

Imagine the response from Spurs if we got him as well! :lol:

Stephen Carr so hard done by.

165584[/snapback]

Not sure if you're taking the piss or not but, injuries apart, I think he is hard done by. Same applies to Babayaro I reckon. Both are often made out to be far worse than they really are. Think we could do better having said that and we are a bit short of cover too.

165605[/snapback]

Not taking the piss at all tbh, he gets absolutely slated and I really don't understand why. I don't even think Jim Bonder is as good as him.

I agree. Carr deserves much more than he gets credit for. However, I do think Babayaro is poor. But then again, last season against Robbie "Lets not get in Europe this year" Elliot, we didn't have much of a choice but play him.

Would be well willing to go to 4mill on Bridge as a replacement.

I think Carr's quality going forward, links up well with Nobby when he can; but he scares me defensively, players go past him too easily. Still gets a shocking amount of abuse, but that's probably true for any of our players who aren't exceptional.

I'm looking to see him get a run of games after a good pre-season, which I don't think he's really gotten since he signed.

Edited by DotBum

I think what pisses me off most about our current fullbacks is that they are in now way better than those players that they replaced.

I'd have Bernard ahead of Babayaro anyday of the week and Hughes is still better than Carr.. certainly more versatile.