Meenzer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a silent H.

165840[/snapback]

You mean "aitch"? :D

I've always said haitch looking down upon those who say different and if they get funny they get a punch on the nose. It's the only way, trust me. :blush:

It's a silent H.

165840[/snapback]

I've always said haitch looking down upon those who say different and if they get funny they get a punch on the nose. It's the only way, trust me. :razz:

165859[/snapback]

I meant silent "haitch", yes. :blush: The girlfiend says 'aitch', I think I say 'haitch' but it was hard to catch myself unawares after I started thinking about it, it's hash* now anyway, terribly cultured! I think us Irish knackers say haitch, when I was growing up people said ah, for the letter A.

EDIT: Actually, that should be 'ash'.

Edited by DotBum

It's a silent H.

165840[/snapback]

I've always said haitch looking down upon those who say different and if they get funny they get a punch on the nose. It's the only way, trust me. :blush:

165859[/snapback]

Oooh get you! 'Aitch' is where it's at.

My mother for some reason says tortoys instead of tortus [tortoise], and appricot instead of apepricot [apricot].

Stupid Scottish.  :D

165885[/snapback]

I had a lecturer who said tor-toys for tortoise. He was Scottish too.

tor-toys in Ireland too. First you want to shoot us for not speaking your language, now you want to burn us for not pronouncing some of the words ploply? FFS! :D

Any breed of people who can somehow pronounce the word "now" as "nigh" with a bizarre question-like upward inflection at the end deserve some kind of grudging respect tbh.

Any breed of people who can somehow pronounce the word "now" as "nigh" with a bizarre question-like upward inflection at the end deserve some kind of grudging respect tbh.

165904[/snapback]

I'm sensing that is more Norn Iron - Ian Paisley springs to mind.

165925[/snapback]

Yes, geographically, as opposed to just politically. My mother would say that, but only when she's talking to someone from up North. Do the Scots say that as well?

Edited by DotBum

165925[/snapback]

Yes, geographically, as opposed to just politically. My mother would say that, but only when she's talking to someone from up North. Do the Scots say do that as well?

165928[/snapback]

Western Scotland, including Glasgow, yes, I think so. Actually Western Scotland and NorthernIreland are so closely linked it's amazing there's a sea in between.